Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For the entirely Zorn uneducated, a nice first game.

Art

My offseason has been filled with stops and starts as it relates to the Redskins, the one hobby I've withheld from family eradication. Almost a month missed of work battling strep from the big girl, daddy throwing his back out picking her nose, then the little one going through a terrible stretch with multiple hospital visits. One week of work and family vacation.

I was back last week, but stayed away from here purposely, not only to catch up with work, but, knowing the Sunday Night game was coming, to watch it with virgin eyes. I haven't seen or read a thing about the Redskins in over a month. The shakes were pretty bad leading up to the game. My best friend back in D.C. was filling me in throughout the night, but, the most important thing is how a new coach who's done as much playcalling in the NFL as I have would do.

I'm skeptical that any first time head coach can take even a very talented team and do much. Zorn has the advantage of Bugel and a lot of the old staff, but, you'd expect something of a deer in the headlights from a guy leading a team for the first time and getting to do so on national television.

Instead, you saw a very organized, professional, modern football team, at least offensively, and a little defensively late. You saw few penalties and NO delay of game penalties that plagued Gibbs his entire second run. The first touchdown pass was a beautiful play. A post holding the safety, a late leak by the fullback grabbing the linebackers, and a corner into empty space.

While lacking in the overwhelming onslaught we saw in Osaka, you have to feel pretty happy that Zorn didn't spike himself. He looked calm and like he knew what was going on. He looked like he'd been doing it. The team was prepared. The opening onside kick didn't have a bailout. It was properly, and perfectly played.

The offense was not spraying the ball all over. It ran and ran and ran. The zone blocking was on display. The layered routes. The things you really never saw consistently -- save maybe the Collins/Saunders marriage -- with Gibbs.

While imperfect, you leave the opener feeling like a professional staff is in charge, not a last ditch head coaching hire. There were no late substitutions. There was no confusion. There was no coaching huddling every other play.

Colt Brennen will be a backup legend here.

Mason may deserve a spot over Rock -- Blondie, I'd prefer not to be beaten for that, or, at least not filmed during :).

I'll now spend the week catching up on injuries and trades for dancing ends and gear up for the long season, but for a week, the worst you could imagine did not happen, and while what did happen was not the greatest thing you could ever devise, it was so completely more professional and organized than you dared hope.

For one week, that's plenty.

Art, your avatar scares the living crapola out of me!

There really isn't much for me to add here, this was a fantastic post. I am feeling so much better about the season right now than I did in previous years. I'm not sure how much that means, but I will definitely take it. I hope the team is able to carry this momentum into the real season!

Edit: Although I am now leary because I had blocked Osaka out of my mind. Eeek.

yes i have to agree, a very nice first impression by Zorn and the team. Zorn made very few rookie mistakes that i could notice at all. Knew enough not to play many starters and those who did only played a few series'. And when the backups came in he knew not to throw the ball and make the game drag on, he ran the ball often and made safe passes, while at the same time allowing some players to make plays. Overall i like the way he ran the game and team, i'm definitly pleased with the first preseason game.

the most important thing is how a new coach who's done as much playcalling in the NFL as I have would do.

I don't think people give enough credit to the fact that Zorn was a former, successful, NFL QB. He may not have been a head coach or coordinator. However, he was a signal caller as a QB for a ton of games. Its not ALL new to him. Just from a different point of view. Play calling was the least of my concern, more so just an organizational stand point.

While imperfect, you leave the opener feeling like a professional staff is in charge, not a last ditch head coaching hire. There were no late substitutions. There was no confusion. There was no coaching huddling every other play.

That to me was key. It was an organized sideline

No late substitutions. No delay of games. No wasted timeouts

An overall nice start

I thought JC looked very good today. O-line had a few problems. TC sucked he kept the ball to long. I think mason may have a good shot at making this team. Rock looked good to. Colt, nice game. Horton came out and played well. Tyron, didn't look so sharp. Overall good game.

there is a LOT of work to do for the team but this was a respectable start for the first preseason game. a lot of work to do.....

Doubtless the case in Washington and 31 other cities. It's unlikely anyone believes this is as good as it can get. Merely, better than it could have been :).

Archived