Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Art Monk Hall of Fame worthy ...Cowboys fans think not

bedlamVR

Okay I know cowboys fans can be accused of not wanting to discuss anything to do with this years team but they are still arguing that Monk should not be in the hall, based on comments of that well know upstanding piller of society

Nate Newton

Funny quote I just heard from listening to the Michael Irvin show. When asked about his thoughts on Monk getting into the HOF, Nate Newton sounded less than impressed. His quote;

"Art Monk is Art Monk, man. We never gameplanned for him."

Just thought that was pretty funny and sums up why Monk was left out all these years.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123193&page=5

[/Quote]

So you don't have to sully yourselves by going to the Cowboyszone I will briefly give an outline of the argument ... they say Monk was never a game changer he was surpassed as all time reception leader by Rice in his final year ( when he had 6 receptions to rice 122 in 1995) ...in the 80s Loften had more yards... etc etc usual stuff compare Monk to HoFers then say Monk is not comparable .... I am sure since a lot of CZ posters post on here I don't need to go through everything because they will back up their arguments as to why Monk should be kept out .......or at least until every Cowboys player is elected

So I want to ask Fans of all colors . With Monk finally about to be enshrined ... is he really deserving ?

You have to consider this about Monk

It was not a pass happy era

Monk was the first player ever to get over 100 catches

Monk was the all time leader in catches when he retired

Monk had a steady slew of mediocre QB's throwing to him. He didn't have a Montana, Young or Aikman. He had Theismann, Schroeder, Williams and Rypien.

Monk shared the offense with two other guys who also topped the 1000 yard mark the same time as he did. I don't think there are too many teams that had 3 receivers top the 1000 yard mark. I think the 49ers, for instance, only had John Taylor top the 1000 yard mark twice. It was the all Jerry show. Who played opposite Irvin? How about Lofton? Those guys were the primary targets.

Anyway, if compare Monks stats to guys who are already in the Hall, there isn't much debate that he belongs.

You can't look at what Art Monk did throughout his career and make a credible case that he does not belong in the HOF. You only make yourself look like an idiot if you try.

Any legit arguement against Monk is a basis for him not being a first ballot guy, not whether or not he belongs in the Hall.

And don't worry about what that POS Nate Newton has to say about Monk, he's still pissed off that the Redskins cut his ass in 1983.

Sorry Nate, you may be Cowboy worthy but the Hogs were the big time and you just didn't measure up.

Okay I know cowboys fans can be accused of not wanting to discuss anything to do with this years team but they are still arguing that Monk should not be in the hall, based on comments of that well know upstanding piller of society

Nate Newton

So you don't have to sully yourselves by going to the Cowboyszone I will briefly give an outline of the argument ... they say Monk was never a game changer he was surpassed as all time reception leader by Rice in his final year ( when he had 6 receptions to rice 122 in 1995) ...in the 80s Loften had more yards... etc etc usual stuff compare Monk to HoFers then say Monk is not comparable .... I am sure since a lot of CZ posters post on here I don't need to go through everything because they will back up their arguments as to why Monk should be kept out .......or at least until every Cowboys player is elected

So I want to ask Fans of all colors . With Monk finally about to be enshrined ... is he really deserving ?

Just realize that Nate's comments are shared throughout the league. He wasn't someone that scared other teams. Not saying he wasn't good, or doesn't belong in the HOF, just that he wasn't the member of the skins that most teams worried about, maybe because of the scheme he played, maybe because of the offense, maybe because ofthe talent. Why skin fans take it so personally that most of the league liked Monk but never considered him a game breaker is beyond me?

Just realize that Nate's comments are shared throughout the league. He wasn't someone that scared other teams. Not saying he wasn't good, or doesn't belong in the HOF, just that he wasn't the member of the skins that most teams worried about, maybe because of the scheme he played, maybe because of the offense, maybe because ofthe talent. Why skin fans take it so personally that most of the league liked Monk but never considered him a game breaker is beyond me?

Who the **** is Nate Newton? And who the **** are you to say that his "comments are shared throughout the league"? You's a nobody.

Monk was a gamebreaker. Much moreso than Irvin, who played when the rules changed and was a "push-off" artist. All's Monk would do is move them chains. He couldn't be stopped.

Who the **** is Nate Newton? And who the **** are you to say that his "comments are shared throughout the league? You's a nobody.

Monk was a game breaker. Much more so than Irvin, who played when the rules changed and was a "push-off" artist. All's Monk would do is move them chains. He couldn't be stopped.

Well, Newton was a 6x Pro Bowler, also a 5x All-pro seletion. So he isn't exactly a scrub player.

Who was a bigger "game breaker" is debateable. You cannot honestly sit there and say Art Monk was X much better than Irvin. They are both hellacious players and it should be left at that.

You can't let one players opinion ruin an entire fan base. I guarantee you 99.9% of Cowboy fans know Art Monk is a well deserved Hall of Fame inductee.

Well, Newton was a 6x Pro Bowler, also a 5x All-pro seletion. So he isn't exactly a scrub player.

Who was a bigger "game breaker" is debateable. You cannot honestly sit there and say Art Monk was X much better than Irvin. They are both hellacious players and it should be left at that.

You can't let one players opinion ruin an entire fan base. I guarantee you 99.9% of Cowboy fans know Art Monk is a well deserved Hall of Fame inductee.

Well said.

That sentiment is not "shared throughout the league" as you put it. Unless of course you've managed to poll throughout the league, you're talking out your @$$.

He was voted to the 1980's all decade team by people with more credibility than anyone on cowboyszone and anyone here. He was deemed one of the top four WR's of his time, i.e. Hall of Fame worthy

So that somehow makes him worthy of determining who is Hall worthy and who isn't? If so, why doesn't Jerry hire him as a scout? After all, he's such a profound evaluator of talent, he should be picking future hall of famers left and right. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

(not their day) ? the cowgirls and the horse they road on!

I will stop now. But ya

I think the most telling comment by Irvin yesterday was, "I was standing up there thinking how am I going in right now and Monk is not already here"

Nate Newton did not have to worry about Monk and his blocking skills btw. Monk helped the team run the ball, which they did moreso than pass it. Monk did his job without bringing attention to himself. If Nate has that opinion that is his opinion, but consider the numbers and the intangibles before making a judgement about his worthiness. The Redskins might not have those Lombardi's if Monk is not there, Clark and Sanders don't have the success they had without Monk, the famed running game does not break the secondary without Monk. If you can't see that as a football fan shame on you.

Not all Cowboys fans believe that.

Come on guys, be realistic, Nate probably just said that out of hatred with the rivalry, etc.

I am a Cowboys fan, and I am definitely for Art Monk. In fact I think it is a disgrace that they made him actually wait this long to get in. But we can not honestly expect more out of the HoF committee when it includes Chris Berman.

So that somehow makes him worthy of determining who is Hall worthy and who isn't? If so, why doesn't Jerry hire him as a scout? After all, he's such a profound evaluator of talent, he should be picking future hall of famers left and right. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

I was referring to what he said ...

"Who the **** is Nate Newton?"

So I explained it to him.

I think people are taking this too far. Obviously Monk deserves to be in the Hall or he wouldn't be in it.

Any Cowboy fan would be retarded if they could say with a straight face that Monk was not that good of a player, or that they would not have wanted Monk on the Cowboys during his career. He was a special player and was an overall good guy.

Now to get into an Irvin versus Monk debate, forget it. Were talking about two high profile Hall of Fame players, two of some of the best WR's to ever play the game, and playing on two different teams that absolutely hate each other. There will never be any convincing from both sides on who is better.

But do I think Monk would have been just as successful on the Cowboys team that Irvin played on? sure. Do I think Irvin would have been successful on the Skin's teams that Monk had played on? sure.

They may have had completely different styles, but they were both great. Lets not lose focus.

But do I think Monk would have been just as successful on the Cowboys team that Irvin played on? sure. Do I think Irvin would have been successful on the Skin's teams that Monk had played on? sure.

They may have had completely different styles, but they were both great. Lets not lose focus.

They both played on some stacked teams ... and they still found ways to stick out and be the best at their positions.

That says it all for me.

When you play with Clark, Sanders etc. and you are the guy. That says a lot to me.

Of course Nate Newton and the Cowboys "Offense" never game planned against Art Monk... :doh:

Did Art Monk and the Redskins "Offense" gameplan against Nate Newton...?

Guess Nate didn't get his usual 5 blunts before breakfast that day.

How many defensive meetings was Nate Newton in on again? Oh that's right zero. ZERO.

Sorry but you have no fricken idea what other teams in the league thought about Art Monk. Pulling crap out of your ass and delivering it as fact is something you Poke fans specialize in, isn't it?

The Skins never gameplanned for Michael Irvin. He just wasn't that scary. There were other bigger positions to worry about on the Cowboys. There I've said it. It's fact.

Nate Newton was an outstanding player. Granted he's more famous for his Superbowl gaffe and getting caught with a couple hundred pounds of weed... (I think he blew a game against the dolphins in the snow or something? He kicked a ball into the endzone? I can't remember)

He's still way off base. Monk is a no doubt HOFer. You can even make the argument that if Dallas' favorite WR crackhead is in, then Gary Clark should be in. Their numbers are REALLY similair.

Nate Newton was an outstanding player. Granted he's more famous for his Superbowl gaffe and getting caught with a couple hundred pounds of weed... (I think he blew a game against the dolphins in the snow or something? He kicked a ball into the endzone? I can't remember)

He's still way off base. Monk is a no doubt HOFer. You can even make the argument that if Dallas' favorite WR crackhead is in, then Gary Clark should be in. Their numbers are REALLY similair.

Leon Lett is who you were thinking of with the SB gaffe and the snow gaffe. Newton was the one busted twice with hundreds of pounds of pot.

They both played on some stacked teams ... and they still found ways to stick out and be the best at their positions.

That says it all for me.

When you play with Clark, Sanders etc. and you are the guy. That says a lot to me.

I think people are taking this too far. Obviously Monk deserves to be in the Hall or he wouldn't be in it.

Any Cowboy fan would be retarded if they could say with a straight face that Monk was not that good of a player, or that they would not have wanted Monk on the Cowboys during his career. He was a special player and was an overall good guy.

Now to get into an Irvin versus Monk debate, forget it. Were talking about two high profile Hall of Fame players, two of some of the best WR's to ever play the game, and playing on two different teams that absolutely hate each other. There will never be any convincing from both sides on who is better.

I think yall have it laid out pretty well. I can't stand the Cowboys, and Art Monk is my all-time favorite player. He's in there now, albeit MUCH too late, but he's in regardless. I could give two ****s about what Nate Newton thinks about Art Monk, and I highly doubt it's a "league wide" sentiment

Archived