Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why does everyone hate Larry Michael?

djbubba4life

I have no problem with Larry. I don't even care that he's a homer. The only thing that annoys me is you know there are things he disagrees with and still tows the line. It was alot better with Bram because Bram would speak his mind and even called Larry out on being such a homer, it made for a better show.

I was bored last night so for some reason I accessed NFL.com's video site and was rewatching some of those old Dallas - Skins games at Fed Ex. The first one I saw was the Week 17 game last season , it was the first time I had heard Larry again in a while and I could see why all of you hate him. That homerism is a bit annoying. After a few highlights though I got used to it.

I think maybe some of you take this stuff way too seriously. Larry does the job he's paid to do. I don't get pissed off or anything about his "homerism", because I expect it. Hard to get mad and stuff over something as trivial as this as it is,much less with that in mind. As much as some may not be able to fathom why some still like him, I can't fathom how some people can feel such animosity and direct such personal stuff at a person they don't even know.

I can't fathom how some people can feel such animosity and direct such personal stuff at a person they don't even know.

Because deep down, they just hate themselves & it's easier for them to project it onto Larry rather then admit the truth. :cool:

After much deliberation, I think what I dislike, other than watching him looking at producers and all around the studio when being filmed on camera, is that he seems disingenuous. His homerism doesn't bother me because he is being paid by the Redskins to promote and discuss the Redskins in a positive light. I believes he lacks in personality and does come off as a real Redskins fan but rather just paid to speak highly about them.

That is why I wrote before that I prefer Russ Thaler. STBoneCrusher mentioned Chick Hernandez, which would also be great. The two seem like they are big Redskins fans, are animated and have their own personality. Larry's personality seems bland and phony. Maybe its the way he talks like an announcer even when he should just be talking about Redskin football. Would love to see him go!

thats the part that i dont understand about some fans here. you (and others) enjoy hearing blind optimism. ill never tell you its bad or wrong, but i dont see how you can enjoy a show where you know full well that the guy speaking is just talking out of his ***. id rather here the straight up truth than everything sugar coated, but hey, to each his own.

What I don't understand is why folks who think they understand what "the truth", "reality" and what constitutes "talking out of his arse" cannot parse entertainment from the rest of the stuff.

Larry and Bram's "shtick" where Larry, the brainless homer, played against Bram's "realist" was fairly easy to parse. Peyton vs Campbell, our wideouts vs Arizona's... etc. were (in my view) part of the act as was their perceived "hatred" toward each other.

In my estimation, the folks who are vehemently upset with the on-the-air Larry Michael suffer from a very narrow view of reality.

Anything that is too sweet or too sour embarrasses them and is cause for reactionary sentiment. Unfettered, reactionary sentiment can lead to the further narrowing of vision and eventually to an extremely prejudiced point of view.

Michael might be too sweet and Czaban might be too sour but a taste of both can only enhance our perception and enjoyment of reality.

Some of the best stuff out here is an acquired taste so don't begrudge those of us with more developed pallets of reality.

I actually like Larry Micheal. Yes, he has a bit of an arrogant personality on the air, but it's not that bad. You could tell a lot of the time that he's simply trying to entertain us. It makes me pretty ashamed to see so many fans hate this guy when he brings us so much insider access to the team we care about so much. We have one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, audio/video department in the NFL. We're so fortunate to have guys like Larry Micheal who work so hard and are there everyday to feed our hunger for Redskins football. Not many teams can even compare to what they do for us.

That alone should be enough for most of us here to forgive some of their shortcomings. But no, so many of us can only see the bad in things, then feel the need to amplify them further. Bunch of devils, I swear. :no:

The only shortcomings we should point out about Larry and his team (and we should do it with balance knowing they do a great job nonetheless) is that they sometimes do push an obvious agenda and they rub it in the face of the press outside of Redskins park who can't do much about it. They should just do the good job they do and focus on that... they don't need to keep telling us they're the place to come to for inside access. Of course they are! They're part of the team!!! They should have "unfiltered" and "unrestricted" stuff. Don't brag about it too!

With that said, we must acknowledge the other side is even worse (I'm talking about the outside press, specifically the Post, and even more specifically Jason La Canfora). As soon as Snyder came into town they became negative, and pushed their own agenda. They were really the ones who started this all in my opinion. I think they just got so tired of the negativity from the Post and JLC that they decided to talk about it more to fight it off. That, in my opinion, is a bad idea. The source meter is entertaining, sure... but it just wreaks of information control and propaganda. Larry Micheal makes it worse everytime he says "Oh, we're just having fun folks" at the end of the segment because we all know there's ill intent. Keep in mind, the ill intent towards JLC is understandable, but people generally don't want agendas' mixed in with their fanhood.

Some of you say "oh, he just touts the company line" as if that's some horrible criticism but there really isn't that much wrong with that. Some people just believe in their company, believe that they'll make the right decisions even if they at one time thought it would be the wrong decision. Maybe, even when he disagrees, he WANTS to believe the team will be okay because he cares so much about them, and thus looks on the bright side of things and puts his hope in that? Is that not okay? It's a friggin sports franchise, for crying out loud! It's ok to think things will always work out even when it's obvious they may not! We're fans, and we want the team to succeed... so sometimes you hope and believe the team will succeed regardless of the bad decisions that are made. Yes, we should be balanced but it's understandable when we're not because we love the team so much. Sheesh.

The shortcomings Larry and his staff have are far outweighed by the cool stuff they give us. It's ridiculous how some people can't look past that, and it's even more ridiculous when those same people probably Tivo the show everyday and enjoy the access they get. Not everything is perfect... so be satisfied, especially when there's more good than bad! :)

Because deep down, they just hate themselves & it's easier for them to project it onto Larry rather then admit the truth. :cool:

You see the post I had above that was quite ginormous?

I think this just summed it all up. Good job in making me understand how much time I just wasted. :applause:

:laugh:

You see the post I had above that was quite ginormous?

I think this just summed it all up. Good job in making me understand how much time I just wasted. :applause:

:laugh:

Yours was quite good. :notworthy

Just call mine the Cliff Notes version. :)

Because he's a tool? He's the equivalent of John Sterling for the Yankees. Completely annoying and totally incapable of objectivity. I don't know how Bram did shows with the guy without killing him. My favorite line was when he pronounced the TJ Duckett trade as "an absolute steal for the Redskins". Genius indeed.

I actually like Larry Micheal. Yes, he has a bit of an arrogant personality on the air, but it's not that bad. You could tell a lot of the time that he's simply trying to entertain us. It makes me pretty ashamed to see so many fans hate this guy when he brings us so much insider access to the team we care about so much. We have one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, audio/video department in the NFL. We're so fortunate to have guys like Larry Micheal who work so hard and are there everyday to feed our hunger for Redskins football. Not many teams can even compare to what they do for us.

That alone should be enough for most of us here to forgive some of their shortcomings. But no, so many of us can only see the bad in things, then feel the need to amplify them further. Bunch of devils, I swear. :no:

The only shortcomings we should point out about Larry and his team (and we should do it with balance knowing they do a great job nonetheless) is that they sometimes do push an obvious agenda and they rub it in the face of the press outside of Redskins park who can't do much about it. They should just do the good job they do and focus on that... they don't need to keep telling us they're the place to come to for inside access. Of course they are! They're part of the team!!! They should have "unfiltered" and "unrestricted" stuff. Don't brag about it too!

With that said, we must acknowledge the other side is even worse (I'm talking about the outside press, specifically the Post, and even more specifically Jason La Canfora). As soon as Snyder came into town they became negative, and pushed their own agenda. They were really the ones who started this all in my opinion. I think they just got so tired of the negativity from the Post and JLC that they decided to talk about it more to fight it off. That, in my opinion, is a bad idea. The source meter is entertaining, sure... but it just wreaks of information control and propaganda. Larry Micheal makes it worse everytime he says "Oh, we're just having fun folks" at the end of the segment because we all know there's ill intent. Keep in mind, the ill intent towards JLC is understandable, but people generally don't want agendas' mixed in with their fanhood.

Some of you say "oh, he just touts the company line" as if that's some horrible criticism but there really isn't that much wrong with that. Some people just believe in their company, believe that they'll make the right decisions even if they at one time thought it would be the wrong decision. Maybe, even when he disagrees, he WANTS to believe the team will be okay because he cares so much about them, and thus looks on the bright side of things and puts his hope in that? Is that not okay? It's a friggin sports franchise, for crying out loud! It's ok to think things will always work out even when it's obvious they may not! We're fans, and we want the team to succeed... so sometimes you hope and believe the team will succeed regardless of the bad decisions that are made. Yes, we should be balanced but it's understandable when we're not because we love the team so much. Sheesh.

The shortcomings Larry and his staff have are far outweighed by the cool stuff they give us. It's ridiculous how some people can't look past that, and it's even more ridiculous when those same people probably Tivo the show everyday and enjoy the access they get. Not everything is perfect... so be satisfied, especially when there's more good than bad! :)

:applause::applause::applause::cheers:

Does anyone remember when The Don and Mike Show used to bust on Larry Michael for being the broadcaster for a show called "Battle Bots?" Apparently it was a show about dorks even bigger than Larry who built robots in their mommy's basements and fought them on low budget TV.

How he went from Battle Bots to replacing Frank Herzog is beyond me.

Larry is in way over his unusually shaped head. I love the comment about tucking in his jersey and wearing a fanny pack.

Larry has the hair and face for radio, just not the voice.

I love Sonny and Sam. But Larry needs to go call a high school game.

also, absolutely hilarious to hear people saying they miss Bram. He was crucified more than Larry Michael. Some light reading... there's plenty more

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198260&highlight=bram

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181645&highlight=bram

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179356&highlight=bram

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166510&highlight=bram

and now everyone wants him back :doh:

Some Redskins fans are a fickle bunch. Give them something free and they'll kick you in the nuts and tell you that you suck. But then they'll whine when you leave. I'm glad I'm not in the business of providing information to this fanbase, even the absolutely free/no strings attached variety. I might expect a Thank You... which is ludicrous.

also, absolutely hilarious to hear people saying they miss Bram. He was crucified more than Larry Michael. Some light reading... there's plenty more

Some Redskins fans are a fickle bunch. Give them something free and they'll kick you in the nuts and tell you that you suck. But then they'll whine when you leave. I'm glad I'm not in the business of providing information to this fanbase, even the absolutely free/no strings attached variety. I might expect a Thank You... which is ludicrous.

I thought you WERE providing us information. Now you're saying that your not.

Slacker. :mad:

In all seriousness though, Thank You. :cheers:

if you ever had to sit through corp bs bingo speaches, webex/livemeetings, you could see why folks dont like the company line stance. its been painfully clear the franchise has made some mistakes since gibbs I era ended, and its not fun to listen to folks pretend all is well (hope this year is better).

also, being a fan of other sports teams that basically stink, i get enough of the sugar coated news. that said, he doesnt bother me from what ive seen. just dont go for the sugary sweet stuff.

:applause:

I was also going to mention this... when Bram was here, it seemed like EVERYONE here couldn't stand him. I think this thread is actually a very interesting evaluation of the overall psychological/spiritual state of the majority of posters here on extremeskins. Or, at the very least, the most vocal of them.

if you ever had to sit through corp bs bingo speaches, webex/livemeetings, you could see why folks dont like the company line stance. its been painfully clear the franchise has made some mistakes since gibbs I era ended, and its not fun to listen to folks pretend all is well (hope this year is better).

also, being a fan of other sports teams that basically stink, i get enough of the sugar coated news. that said, he doesnt bother me from what ive seen. just dont go for the sugary sweet stuff.

I've sat through countless Verizon Wireless corporate meetings so I understand what you're saying.

But that's not the point I was making. He may just simply BELIEVE in the organization. BELIEVE that they did the right thing even if he disagreed simply because he BELIEVES they know better than him. That is a possibility, right? You have to keep in mind that this isn't just some random corporation... you're talking about a football team. Some people just believe more than others.

And you've actually made a false assumption to prove your point here. The things that were done wrong in the past have been admitted by Larry Micheal. He does not defend Brandon Lloyd and Adam Archuleta or anything. He admits they didn't work out, but at the same time, very few people were against the signings when they happened. I'm sorry, but noone could've foreseen they'd be huge busts... and we gave them all that money cuz we wanted to make sure they didn't even THINK about leaving Redskins park once they came to discuss signing on. It was a bad decision, yes... but we believed that we were a team on the brink of being a championship team.

I think very few of us here thought otherwise... and that goes the same for the media. Everyone forgets how much the media was on our bandwagon during the 2006 offseason. After we didn't so well it was back to the "Oh Snyder thinks he can jusy buy a championship" crap, and they acted as if they were saying that the whole time. Hypocrites. :doh:

I enjoy larry... I like having a biased pbp announcer coupled with a realist color man (sonny)...it's refreshing to see a broadcaster who is obviously a fan but good at his job as well (imo)... there are way too many monotonous robots out there calling games like they are reading from a court transcript...

and rebecca is the best thing to happen to the skins since the counter trey...

I enjoy larry... I like having a biased pbp announcer coupled with a realist color man (sonny)...it's refreshing to see a broadcaster who is obviously a fan but good at his job as well (imo)... there are way too many monotonous robots out there calling games like they are reading from a court transcript...

and rebecca is the best thing to happen to the skins since the counter trey...

Thats my problem. I don't really feel that Larry is a fan. He seems more robotic and disingenuous than a real fan. I feel he is just reporting team activities and does not really seem to care. Rebeca Mejia sucks!

I'm campaigning for Russ Thaler or Chick Hernandez. They report Redskin news but seem much more interested, are more personable, and seem like real fans than larry.

I've always been on record as saying I didn't like either...at least I'm staying the course:D

If you Larry haters really dispise him as much as you say then hit him where it hurts. Stop watching the show. The ratings continue to increase even though most of the player content is available on Redskins.com. Most people must like what they see on the show. Watch the player and coach interviews on-line and bypass Redskins Nation. Personally I don't think this would make much difference because you people with an irrational dislike for Larry Michael are vocal but really are obviously in such a minority that you can't effect the outcome of the ratings. The viciousness and childishness of most of these attacks leads me to believe one thing. You really want to get noticed by Larry so he'll mention you on his increasingly popular show.

Archived