Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins’ dynasty finally gets their due in Canton -NBC Article

REDMAN7

I do believe that is the first time I have ever heard the term Dynasty when referring to the Redskins of that era. I must admit, I am pleased. Now if only Russ Grimm and Joe Jacoby get the recognition they deserve.

not shocked that the so called experts pass over the lineman... they cant help sell mags/newpapers the voters for the hall write for. there must be some way to correct this. the 70s steelers are stacked in the hall, the 80s skins are finally getting some attention though...

Hmmm. Interesting.

And that’s too bad, because Canton’s Class of ’08 includes some players who were every good at playing their position as Aikman and Elway were at theirs. You don’t get to the Hall of Fame without being one of the best to every play the game, and that’s what these guys are.

**** AN A RIGHT!

You'll notice how I keep such a calm demeanor during such exciting times. :)

"That’s the hook for this year’s class — the induction of two teammates from the team’s greatest era when they went to four Super Bowls and won three of them. It’s beyond understanding that until this year, just one player from those teams — John Riggins — has made it to Canton before this year. Riggins was cast in bronze in 1992, just seven years after he retired, and he played for only one Super Bowl winner. Green and Monk were as good at what they did as Riggins was at his job. For that matter, not one member of the team’s famous “Hogs” offensive line is in the Hall. Go figure."

I agree with him on Gary Zimmerman being way overdue but so are Jacoby and Grimm. Having no Hogs in the HOF is a travesty.

I do believe that is the first time I have ever heard the term Dynasty when referring to the Redskins of that era. I must admit, I am pleased. Now if only Russ Grimm and Joe Jacoby get the recognition they deserve.

Yeah, its an absolute crime that not one member of the HOGS is in the HOF. There just no rationalizing it.

These quotes stand out to me, "At least he beat Monk, whose seven-year wait to get in remains one of life’s undying mysteries."

"For some reason, Monk, who has three Super Bowl rings, had to wait 13 years after he retired to be elected. But it’s a nice touch that when he finally did make it, he gets to go in with his old teammate, Green."

Great article. Nice to see the team get it's proper due from at least some writers.

As far as the OL goes, everyone is absolutely right that it is a travesty there are no Hogs in the HOF when the line as a whole is one of the best to ever be fielded. At this point, the only one I can see getting in anytime soon is Grimm. Jacoby should have been in long ago with Grimm, but alas I think Jacoby is going to have to wait until a senior nomination is eligible to be made for him.

4 Gibbs era members is pretty decent.

I think there is only one more guy who can expect to get in at some point and that's Russ Grimm. I believe he was a starter on the all 80's team so I'd think he will get some attention soon.

I believe the NFL Network said the other day that the 60's packers have 11 guys including Lombardi in the HOF. So 5 (assuming Grimm gets in) is a pretty reasonable representation for the 80's/early 90's Skins.

Next we need to push for Gary Clark to the HOF. :notworthy

I love Clark as much as anyone (in fact he might have been my favorite player from that era) but I think Grimm and Jacoby should get into the HOF first. Clark was always so exciting, energetic and a big-game performer but his career numbers don't really seperate him from other deserving guys like Chris Cart...Ahh hell....put all three in!!!! :D

As for the article, great read and it is nice to get some love from the Non-stop Barack Channel (NBC). I especially like the usage of the words; "immortals" and "dynasty".

Monk and Green are obviously so deserving of induction for their play on the field, but what makes them "immortal" was the way they carried themselves as poeple both on and off the field. The Redskins would never be recognized as anything close to a "dynasty" if it werent for these two men and the way they helped shape how those teams were remembered.

There does need to be a push for Grimm and Jacoby. I think if injuries did not shorten his career, a case could be made for Jim Lachey, he was a shut down left tackle

The greatness of those teams were not because of individual players or superstars, but because of many parts working in perfect cohesion to run over teams

I love Clark as much as anyone (in fact he might have been my favorite player from that era) but I think Grimm and Jacoby should get into the HOF first. Clark was always so exciting, energetic and a big-game performer but his career numbers don't really seperate him from other deserving guys like Chris Cart...Ahh hell....put all three in!!!! :D

Well his career numbers don't separate him, but let's look at something interesting

Michael Irvin (the playmaker) 750 Rec. 11904 Yards 15.9/ rec 65 TDS

Gary Clark 699 Rec 10856 yards 15.5/ rec 65 TDS

More TDS per reception....who's the real playmaker..

Throw in Clarks Two Years in the USFL and his stats are

765 Receptions 11677 yards 15.26/rec 68 TDS

Irvin went to 5 Pro Bowls. Clark went to 4...

Playoff Statistics

Irvin 16 games 87 catches 1314 yards 15.1 8 TD's

Clark 13 games 58 catches 826 14.2 6 TD's

Take into consideration you also had 1423 career receptions going to the other two WR's on Washington at the same time, and you can really make a compelling argument for Clark. He was all the things that people said Monk wasn't in getting in the Hall.

All that being said, Grimm should go in before any other Redskin from that Era

Terribly written, but it's great that Monk and Green are getting some love.

I agree. I majored in English, not journalism, but in this world of blogs and IM chatting I think journalists really have let up on the quality of their work. Its like they are writing blog posts instead of quality articles. It is great to see our guys get their due though.

Not every class inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame is headed by a John Elway or Troy Aikman or other all-time offensive hero. This is one of those years, when Canton will open its doors to guys named Green, Thomas, Monk, Zimmerman, Tippett and Dean.

Not too thrilled about how he implied that Canton will open the door to guys like Monk and Green.

Either way, we still got some deserved recognition. And he did say it was crazy that none of the Hogs made it in yet.

How in the world did "crackboy" Irvin get in before Art. :doh:

Archived