Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Metallica: "Death Magnetic" Holy ****!! The Kings have returned!

Commander PK

You're gonna have to go into more detail as to why it sucked.

Not as good as their first three albums, but still pretty amazing. I

Since Burton died, I hated everything they put out. I LOVED MOP and RTL.

I'll try and give that album another listen. It doesn't click with me like MOP and RTL did.

Since Burton died, I hated everything they put out. I LOVED MOP and RTL.

I'll try and give that album another listen. It doesn't click with me like MOP and RTL did.

As much as people like to point to Burton's death as the difference in Metallica, I think another huge difference was going from Fleming Rasmussen to Bob Rock as producers. Why they made this change, I have no idea.

A lot of people hate the black cd, I think it's pretty good. Probably cause it was my first Metallica cd back in the day and I have good memories from it, but the sound definitely changed then.

But lets face it...after the Black album, Metallica wasn't young and hungry anymore.

Combine that and Bob Rock, and you have Load, ReLoad, and St. Anger. :rolleyes:

Burton was an excellent bassist, but Metallica still put out an awesome album in AJFA. I'll hold Bob Rock more responsible than Jason Newsted for the change in sound.

As much as people like to point to Burton's death as the difference in Metallica, I think another huge difference was going from Fleming Rasmussen to Bob Rock as producers. Why they made this change, I have no idea.

A lot of people hate the black cd, I think it's pretty good. Probably cause it was my first Metallica cd back in the day and I have good memories from it, but the sound definitely changed then.

But lets face it...after the Black album, Metallica wasn't young and hungry anymore.

Combine that and Bob Rock, and you have Load, ReLoad, and St. Anger. :rolleyes:

Burton was an excellent bassist, but Metallica still put out an awesome album in AJFA. I'll hold Bob Rock more responsible than Jason Newsted for the change in sound.

Lars and James wanted to go more mainstream aka $$$$$$$

I loved the Justice album. However, my biggest complaint about it was that the bass guitar was way too drowned out by the over-dubbed guitars. You can barely hear the bass in that album. Most of the low end frequency on that album is from a guitar, which was one of the layers of many layered guitar tracks. Kirk recorded one guitar with lots of bass on the EQ, which is the bassy sound you hear. Then he over-dubbed the same riff with a lot of mids boosted. Then did the same track with the treble cranked. This resulted in a fat guitar sound but the bass guitar was lost in the mix.

That album would be so much better if the bass guitar was audible.

Metallica has announced dates for their North American leg of their next tour.

All October/November dates with Down and The Sword :

October 21 - Glendale, AZ Jobing Arena

October 23 - Albquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum

October 25 - Kansas City, MO Sprint Center

October 26 - Des Moines, IA Wells Fargo Arena

November 1 - Portland, OR Rose Quarter

November 3 - Salt Lake City, UT Energy Solutions Arena

November 4 - Denver, CO Pepsi Center

November 6 - Omaha, NE Qwest Center

November 8 - Moline, IL iWireless Center

November 9 - Columbus, OH Schottenstein Center

November 17 - St. Louis, MO Scottrade Center

November 18 - Tulsa, OK BOK Center

November 20 - Houston, TX Toyota Center

November 22 - Little Rock, AR Alltel Arena

November 23 - New Orleans, LA New Orleans Arena

All December dates with Lamb of God and The Sword:

December 1 - Seattle, WA Key Arena

December 2 - Vancouver, BC GM Place

December 4 - Calgary, AB Pengrowth Saddledome

December 7 - Edmonton, AB Rexall Place

December 12 - Ontario, CA Citizens Bank Arena

December 13 - Fresno, CA Save Mart Center

December 15 - San Diego, CA Cox Arena

December 17 - Los Angeles, CA The Forum

December 20 - Oakland, CA Oracle Arena

All January dates with Machine Head and The Sword:

January 12 - Milwaukee, WI Bradley Center

January 13 - Detroit, MI Joe Louis Arena

January 15 - Washington, DC Verizon Center

January 17 - Philadelphia, PA Wachovia Center

January 18 - Boston, MA TD Banknorth Center

January 26 - Chicago, IL Allstate Arena

January 29 - Uniondale, NY Nassau Coliseum

January 31 - Newark, NJ Prudential Center

December 15 - San Diego, CA Cox Arena

the day after my birthday and that stadium is less then 2 miles from my house.

if this CD is good I might just have to hit this concert up.

True. Even if it does suck I'm still going to the show. We get Down as one of the opening acts so that's alright by me. I hear that Metallica plays mostly old stuff at their shows anyway. I hope so.

Some of you busting Metallica's balls for the last 18 years, might find this interesting. :)

Metallica has gone back to an old-school sound, but not for the fans.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1592244/20080806/metallica.jhtml

James Hetfield

"I don't know — in a way, yes, and in a way, no," he told MTV News last week. "The last thing I want is someone to think, 'Oh, they had to go back to Puppets because that was the best album, and they're doing it because we want it.' If we start writing songs for our fans, something's gone wrong. The fans may think they know best, but hey, I'm the armchair quarterback when I'm watching my team too. At the end of the day, we have to write it because we love it and it's coming from our heart. That's why people connect with it. If you start doing it for the fans, you've lost the plot."

But at the same time, Hetfield does acknowledge that the band did try to find its way back to that Puppets mind-set.

"We recognize there was an essence, there was a youth, there was a something about that record, and this is a perfect time for a record like this," he said, "because old-school metal is huge and coming back, and there's so many people wanting to play, and get riffy again, get solo. ... I love that, so [with this record], it's like us starting over again."

Thanks Spiff, that was much better. Still got a little choppy in the middle but the opening was hitting!

Yeah, I like the opening. And Kirk's solo in the middle/end was good...and had traces of old school Metallica solos and sounds in there.

Still trying not to get my hopes up, but I can't lie anymore. I'm excited.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived