Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Jon Jansen retain his starting spot this season?

Frediemac

Jansen will be fine. He usually starts slow. We only allowed 19 freaking sacks the last time he was the full time starter. He's far from done and Bugel himself even vouched for Jansen a while back. He's not going anywhere. If Heyer starts you might as well toss in the towel for the year. He's not starter material and he'll handcuff the offense.

Bugel was talking quite highly of Heyer's offseason conditioning last night with George and Sonny saying; "last year Stephon wouldn't take of his shirt and now he won't wear one when he's on the treadmill." Not that he wouldn't talk up all his player's but just some food for thought.

To answer this question you really have to ask yourself another question: Are we a better team without Jansen on the field. The answer to that question is absolutely NO! So yes he will start. I will say that it is def nice to have a young guy like Heyer who can step up and who will be able to be a starter eventually.

I was amazed at Heyer's progression. He looked very, very bad in preseason, but seemed to come into his own later in the season. But the job still belongs to Jansen for this year at least.

That's funny, everyone else thought he looked good playing for Samuels during the entire preseason.

I really don't see why everyone gets a woody about Heyer. Maybe it's because he's a local guy. He might pan out but my guess would be that he's out of the league in 2-3 years.

Well, I'm a Tennesse guy and I could give a crap about the Terps, but I thought he looked pretty good last year. And if Bugel says he looks real good, I'll take his word for it. Apparently he has really slimmed down this year as well and gotten in much better shape.

So I'm guessing your guess is probably a bad one.:D

what's your reasoning behind him possibly loosing the starting job? Jon is arguably the best if not one of the best O-linemen we have right now. The man played on two broken thumbs at the same time for Christ's sake. I think he's earned the right to retain his job.

and even if he for some reason deserved to be demoted, who would step up into his place? no my friend, Jon's starting job is quite safe

I think Jansen is safe (assuming health).

I'll tell you the player who I'm thinking Zorn does not like on our oline is Casey Rabach.

In the winter he talked about improving Rabach's technique and the way he sets. Then yesterday Zorn talked about getting Jansen some work at center and that he might even try him in the preseason.

I don't think that's because he doesn't like Jansen at RT but rather because he doesn't like Rabach at center and since we do have more alternatives at RT than we do at center, he can afford to at least experiment and see if Jansen can make the switch to center.

I love Jon but do any of my Skin brethren here on Extreme Skins think that he made not keep his starting spot come September vs G-Men?

Interested to see what you guys think about this? :point2sky

Don't know if he'll have it or not, but he should have to earn it. His age and history of serious leg injuries should be all it takes to have his starting spot in question.

until Heyer gets in shape and turns them tits into pecks i dont see him taking jons spot

If you read what Buges has being saying in his quotes he has done just that - he is apparently stronger and leaner.

That said its Jansens spot to lose I would say. Assuming he can stay injury free I think Jansen starts all year but Heyer is the first tackle off the bench and could be a threat to win Jansens job next year.

OLs play well into their mid30s ... Jon ain't going nowhere ... besides I think he would be the best backup at center. Heyer still is 1-2 years away. Mr. Stephon may have skinny legs, but he gets enourmous leverage with his hugely long arms. He will be a fixture at RT eventually. Skins are fortunate to have both. Ol should not be a problem this year with Rhinoheart, Heyer and Fabini giving depth.

what's your reasoning behind him possibly loosing the starting job? Jon is arguably the best if not one of the best O-linemen we have right now. The man played on two broken thumbs at the same time for Christ's sake. I think he's earned the right to retain his job.

He's not better than Pete Kendall right now IMO.

OLs play well into their mid30s ... Jon ain't going nowhere ... besides I think he would be the best backup at center. Heyer still is 1-2 years away. Mr. Stephon may have skinny legs, but he gets enourmous leverage with his hugely long arms. He will be a fixture at RT eventually. Skins are fortunate to have both. Ol should not be a problem this year with Rhinoheart, Heyer and Fabini giving depth.

Guys can play for years, if they dont have injuries and still have it. Jon has had serious injuries and has not looked good the small amount of time he's been healthy recently. Heyer has transformed his body and is in much better shape. Both he and Rinehart (who is practicing at LT btw) are having what Bugel calls "temendous" camps. I can understand the loyalty thing and having confidence that he isnt going to make a mental mistake. But when you're phyically getting beat all the time, I'm willing to let guys that can do the job learn.

If hes healthy its Jansen's job to lose. Its been a while since Ive seen Jansen at 100% mentally and physically so I really cant say if hes the same player. At the same time...

its been a while since ive seen JJ at 100% mentally and physically. Heres to hoping he can still bring it!:cheers:

Archived