Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Training Camp Countdown: D-line

themurf

Ryan O'Halloran is breaking down a position each day heading into the start of Washington Redskins training camp Sunday. Today — Defensive line.

Key statistic

4 — Sacks by Andre Carter that resulted in Redskins takeaways last season.

What happened last year

Veterans Phillip Daniels and Cornelius Griffin combined to miss only one game (Daniels in Week 2); second-year tackle Anthony Montgomery was greatly improved (42 tackles); Andre Carter was better against the run and posted 10½ sacks; Daniels contributed 37 tackles and slid inside to tackle on passing downs; first-year player Chris Wilson provided a speed rushing element (four sacks); and Lorenzo Alexander saw time at tackle when he wasn't filling in on the offensive line. But the Redskins ranked 27th in sacks per pass attempt.

Click here for the rest of article.

Good read. I hope Buzbee turns into a good end and I hear Golston has been working his butt off. I hope he can step it up this year. If we get a healthy year from Daniels, I think the D line is solid.

Interesting talking about the safeties blitzing. Landry is a great blitzer and one of the reasons we drafted him so high. With him being back the the SS position, I hope to see more of that.

The defensive line actually is our strongest part of the defense this year. I hope since all 4 starters are coming back with out off season surgery and the depth is familiar with the system these guys just put the team on their back and allow us to win games in the trenches. It will make it alot easier for our LB's to control the LOS during run and pass coverage. Most important if the pass rush improves it will help out DB's who may have to be in more zone coverage to start the season.

There is depth and a lot of solid guys on the d-line. They will not get pushed around

The d-line just lacks that 2nd "WOW" pass rusher to take pressure off Andre Carter and provide another threat to the QB

Which is why I think we are all hoping and praying Erasmus James gets his confidence back and becomes the steal of the offseason. He has the talent to do what we all want, but its a matter of him putting it together mentally.

Which is why I think we are all hoping and praying Erasmus James gets his confidence back and becomes the steal of the offseason. He has the talent to do what we all want, but its a matter of him putting it together mentally.

Landing Erasmus James is a no-lose situation for the Redskins front office. If he works out, then great. If not, then you're still standing with a better defensive line than most folks realize.

The defensive line actually is our strongest part of the defense this year. I hope since all 4 starters are coming back with out off season surgery and the depth is familiar with the system these guys just put the team on their back and allow us to win games in the trenches. It will make it alot easier for our LB's to control the LOS during run and pass coverage. Most important if the pass rush improves it will help out DB's who may have to be in more zone coverage to start the season.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing but I would have to agree with you.

There is depth and a lot of solid guys on the d-line. They will not get pushed around

The d-line just lacks that 2nd pass rusher to take pressure off Andre Carter and provide another threat to the QB

That is a big need though as the "Redskins ranked 27th in sacks per pass attempt." I expect our sack total per pass attempt to improve but not by much. I also see our TO ratio improving dramatically. This Dline is one draft away from becoming one of the best units in football that is unless James pans out in which case I fear for NFC qbs this season.

Everybody should realize, too, that bringing James in works well time-wise.

Honestly speaking, Redskins brass realizes that expectations should be reasonable when considering this teams record in '08.

There shouldn't be much pressure on James to produce right away. My guess is they are hoping he can contribute in a minor role this season, and regain a little confidence along the way.

I can't remember where I read it, but James mentioned the negativity he experienced having huge expectations placed on him in Minnesota. If he can slowly regain his legs, he should be a long term contributor in Washington. He's young enough, and certainly talented enough to be a bookend here for the long term..:2cents:

Good read. I hope Buzbee turns into a good end and I hear Golston has been working his butt off. I hope he can step it up this year. If we get a healthy year from Daniels, I think the D line is solid.

Interesting talking about the safeties blitzing. Landry is a great blitzer and one of the reasons we drafted him so high. With him being back the the SS position, I hope to see more of that.

I can see him as a situational blitzer, but he showed last year that he can potentially be an elite FS. I'd be incredibly surprised if they decided to put him back at SS given his range, speed, and ball skills.

Um, just when did Landry move back to SS? Right now he is our starting FS.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing but I would have to agree with you.

That is a big need though as the "Redskins ranked 27th in sacks per pass attempt." I expect our sack total per pass attempt to improve but not by much. I also see our TO ratio improving dramatically. This Dline is one draft away from becoming one of the best units in football that is unless James pans out in which case I fear for NFC qbs this season.

I'm interested in why you think our turnover ration will improve dramatically. Blache has been here for years, and it hasnt gotten any better.

Um, just when did Landry move back to SS? Right now he is our starting FS.
Well, I guess it's going to depend on which of the other 2 safeties step up. He was drafted to play SS and seeing as how we signed a FS, I would think he will be moving back to the original spot we brought him in to play.

He can play both very well, so what's the big deal. That is a luxery, not a problem.

I want to see LL blitzing while we have a solid FS playing deep.

Well, I guess it's going to depend on which of the other 2 safeties step up. He was drafted to play SS and seeing as how we signed a FS, I would think he will be moving back to the original spot we brought him in to play.

He can play both very well, so what's the big deal. That is a luxery, not a problem.

The only reason he was playing SS was because we already had an elite FS at the time. ST's untimely death led to Landry going back to FS (which was the position he played for 4 years at LSU). Id rather have a guy with his abilities and range back there than putting him at SS just because he can blitz. Yes they signed a FS, but he has had a relatively mediocre career and if he can beat out Landry for the FS spot I'd be amazed.

The only reason he was playing SS was because we already had an elite FS at the time. ST's untimely death led to Landry going back to FS (which was the position he played for 4 years at LSU). Id rather have a guy with his abilities and range back there than putting him at SS just because he can blitz. Yes they signed a FS, but he has had a relatively mediocre career and if he can beat out Landry for the FS spot I'd be amazed.

How about "it's great that we have a player who can and will play both FS and SS well".

What is the big deal and why do some people get so upset at the thought of Landry playing Strong.

but he has had a relatively mediocre career and if he can beat out Landry for the FS spot I'd be amazed.

That's putting it nicely. However, from the way I understand it, he doesn't have to beat out Landry for the FS spot. He needs to be a better FS than Doughty is a SS.

Did we just sign someone??

Who is our solid FS playing deep if LL is blitzing??

Well, I think the reason he was moved to SS is because of Taylor. Landry was a FS in college, and to be honest, looks better there than he did ar SS. And Blache is not much of a blitzer anyway, so I wouldnt expect alot of that from him.

I'm kinda hoping that Golston can take over for Griffin this year with no loss of talent.

Same here. But unfortunately they had him put on 20 pounds last year and put him behind Monty. Which is not really what his skillset is suited to. That and I hope that Daneils doesnt completely fall aport.

Well, I think the reason he was moved to SS is because of Taylor. Landry was a FS in college, and to be honest, looks better there than he did ar SS. And Blache is not much of a blitzer anyway, so I wouldnt expect alot of that from him.
The article says we may have to use the safeties to blitz more and Landry would be the best at that. That is why I brought it up.
Did we just sign someone??

Who is our solid FS playing deep if LL is blitzing??

Did I say "solid" or did I say we signed a FS?

We signed Schwigert and have Fox, both FSs and Reed who is a SS.

Archived