Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Training Camp Countdown: D-line

themurf

Schweigert, Stuart from Oakland. Basically I suppose the real question is will Stuart be a better FS than Reed Doughty will be at SS. Still, I think Landry is better at the FS position than at the SS position.

When Schweigert played at Purdue, it seemed like he would find a way to get at least a partial share in practically every tackle on the field. He played sideline to sideline in run support and was a decent, but not great, blitzer. Solid tackler. His problem was coverage. Any time he had to man up on a slot receiver he was awful. Fortunately we had Shaun Phillips at the time, so quarterbacks didn't have all day in the pocket or they'd have picked him apart every time. He was prone to getting beat deep too, as I recall.

The funny thing is that when the Raiders released him they cited poor tackling but said nothing about his coverage skills.

When Schweigert played at Purdue, it seemed like he would find a way to get at least a partial share in practically every tackle on the field. He played sideline to sideline in run support and was a decent, but not great, blitzer. Solid tackler. His problem was coverage. Any time he had to man up on a slot receiver he was awful. Fortunately we had Shaun Phillips at the time, so quarterbacks didn't have all day in the pocket or they'd have picked him apart every time. He was prone to getting beat deep too, as I recall.

The funny thing is that when the Raiders released him they cited poor tackling but said nothing about his coverage skills.

That doesn't sound like the kind of guy I'd want on an island back there.

The funny thing about that is it goes against everything every scouting report said about him coming out of Perdue. Broke the record for INTS (set by Rod Woodson) and he considers himself a ballhawk.

The funny thing about that is it goes against everything every scouting report said about him coming out of Perdue. Broke the record for INTS (set by Rod Woodson) and he considers himself a ballhawk.

In zone coverage he's not bad. Manned up against a faster receiver, he can be exposed. If you look at the scouting reports, they'll say he's ok in zone coverage, but doesn't have the speed or skills to go one on one with a wideout.

Stu set the Purdue career interceptions record with 17. Seems like a decent number, but let's break it down:

-Stu played all four years, whereas many players start only 2 or 3.

-The NCAA record for INTs in a season is 29, almost twice as many as Stu's 17.

-A good chunk of Stu's picks came at the end of games where Purdue was already leading by 21 or more.

Despite how it may sound, I actually don't think Stu's a bad pickup. He's a pretty good run stopper who got stuck in a bad situation in Oakland. Some people have called him a bit of a head case, but I think he could be a nice project player.

Since we did not really make a concerted effort to address the d-line aside from James (which has a low risk due to the low expected rate of return), the only probable thing that we should bank on is Montgomery continues to make tremendous improvements and learns how to finish his drives into the backfield. I remember Montgomery in the backfield several times yet failing to actually get the quarterback.

Since we did not really make a concerted effort to address the d-line aside from James (which has a low risk due to the low expected rate of return), the only probable thing that we should bank on is Montgomery continues to make tremendous improvements and learns how to finish his drives into the backfield. I remember Montgomery in the backfield several times yet failing to actually get the quarterback.

Yeah, I was thinking a lot about him when Vinny kept saying he wanted somebody to help provide inside pass rush. Isn't that what he was doing last year? maybe they believed in him so much that they felt they could ignore that position in the draft. Hey, it worked in 2007, lets see what happens in 2008.

montgomery is a decent player who could have a break out season this year. not many scouts give him credit for his quickness and speed for his size. Ant Mon 6'6 315lbs is strong, good size for DT and is good on his feet coming down the LOS. Griffin must be teaching these kids right Gholston 6'4 320lbs and Lorenzo 6'1 300lbs

I can see him as a situational blitzer, but he showed last year that he can potentially be an elite FS. I'd be incredibly surprised if they decided to put him back at SS given his range, speed, and ball skills.

I completely agree with you about Landry. He honestly reminded me of ST a little. Especially in the playoff game against Seattle. The picks, reading the defense, and his field awareness. Now i'm not saying he'll ever be ST but at the same time he did more than step up. Especially as a rookie. I would just like to see more push from the D/L. I think we do need that 2nd WOW factor. I liked what Montgomery did but really have to address Philip Daniels on the other side. I like moving him inside on passing downs and having Wilson out there. He looks like a speed freak off the edge. Any chance he'll bulk up a little more and maybe make a push for the other end with James?

Yeah, I was thinking a lot about him when Vinny kept saying he wanted somebody to help provide inside pass rush. Isn't that what he was doing last year? maybe they believed in him so much that they felt they could ignore that position in the draft. Hey, it worked in 2007, lets see what happens in 2008.

Monty didnt get much push on passing downs. But then neither did Griff and he was the guy that we were relying getting into the pocket. I'd like to see Golston drop some wieght and get back to playing the 1 gap DT where he was very good at UGA.

Archived