Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Observations on 2007 season applying to this season

Walking Deadman

With the three day weekend, I decided to finally take some of the games I saved on my DVR and burn them to DVD. This included the final Dallas game, the Bears game, the Lions game, the Vikings game. I noticed a few things that I thought I would share with you (and my opinions) as we are only 14 days from training camp.

1. Jason Campbell will excell and succeed in the WCO. In the game vs. the Lions (his best game of the season), Campbell did well with short/intermediate passes and did so with no Moss and ARE only for a half (injury). With Caldwell, McCardell, Portis, Betts, Lloyd and Cooley. Campbell finished with the following stats:

23 of 29 for 248yds and 2TDs.

Again he did this with mid-range passes that were accurate and well timed.

If Zorn can hone this type of performance consistantly, Campbell will have a true breakout year with the extra weapons added in the offseason.

2. Games are still won in the trenches.

Pretty simple. If the team blocks well- we usually pass well and run well.

Duh, injuries killed us and the inconsistanty on the O-line b/c of the loss of Jansen and Thomas this team struggled in alot of series. Stephon Heyer did well for a UDFA rookie and I am a big fan, but now he needs to take it to the next level, there were moments when he looked phenominal and moments when he really struggled. I can't wait to see him this preseason. I really hope Rhinehart, Kelly or Crummey pan out b/c I really don't want us to have to rely on Wade or Fabini for more than spot duty and not past 2008 (the blocking on the right side was average at best and poor in run blocking many times).

3. Anthony Mix will be a Redskin in 2008

If only as a special teamer. Man crushes and hopes as a Red Zone threat aside, Mix played incredibly well as a STer. He forced a fumble in the Minn. game. made the infamous fumble/non-TD recovery in the playoff game @ Seattle. Made numerous tackles (he actually is a solid tackler) and made some nice moves to bottle up Hester in the Chi. game. He may be the next James Thrash for the Redskins (and I mean that as a sincere complement).

4. Our D is better than you think it is.

Remember a few things.

a) When we made the run of 4 games (mind you 3 of four were against the NFCE champ, the 2nd place team and Super Bowl champ and a team that is a favorite to win this years SB and was the #1 run O and #1 run D) we were missing Rogers (IR), Sean had already died and we lose McIntosh two of those games in. Yet our D dominated and made plays.

Doughty played very well at SS and covered TEs well.

Landry made the move to FS and adapted well.

We won with Springs and Smoot and sometimes with Torrence and Eubanks playing as our #2 and #3 CBs (Torrence actually looked pretty good and I think he'll still be a solid nickle/dime DB- Eubanks was just horrible in the Chi game and I can see why the Skins have cut him already)

B) This team plays much better when our starters are healthy. Washington, Griff and Daniels should be healthy at least going into the preseason. When they are healthy they actually provide a decent pass rush. Hopefully, James, Wilson, Golston and others will improve upon that as well. Lack of pass rush is still our D's biggest weakness.

c) 28 yds.

Against two of the best O-lines in the league and two of the better RBs in the league......now that's something to carry over from 2007.

d) all of our starters from the final run will be back this year.

All we lost was Pierson and Randall Godfrey who were reserves.

5. We need to use Betts and Portis much more as recievers.

In the final four games both Portis and Betts came out of the backfield and made a few major catches that either set the team up for a TD or actually became a TD. Also Betts needs to be used more.

6. The major failure of Gibbs 2.0.....

The team would get a lead, lose it and not come back from it. Or there was always a lull point in the game (usually in the 3rd or 4th qtr.) where the Skins lose their dominance and you could feel the momentum slip away from us. How many times did you notice that last year? I noticed it alot. And alot in 2004-2006 as well.

Was it being overly conservative? Was it being arrogant and callus? Was Gibbs and co. worried about running up the score? Did we get lazy?

I'm not sure, it was probably a little of all and the opposing teams adjusted well and we didn't (suprising for Gibbs team). But the execution dropped off many times. If anything, coach Zorn must address this and fix this problem if the Skins are to do any better.

7. Keep this Gibbs play.

There is a pass play where Cooley is on one side of the field. Rolls out to the other side of the field (which the WR on that side has already cleared out the DBs) and he's wide open. I saw this play alot in many of the games last year and each time it seemed to work. Heck it even worked for Yoder (see his TD in the Bears game).

I think my favorite play of Gibbs 2 was during 2005. Goal line play, Brunell takes the snap, play action fake to the RB, then rolls to the opposite side where there is an open Sellers or Cooley. That's how Sellers got like 6+ tds that season. Same frikkin play.

Nice observations. It's hard to totally predict from these since the two main minds (Gibbs and Williams) are gone. Still, Blatche has been a big part of the scheme and Zorn certainly has gone over the tapes to learn what this team has done well.

I think my favorite play of Gibbs 2 was during 2005. Goal line play, Brunell takes the snap, play action fake to the RB, then rolls to the opposite side where there is an open Sellers or Cooley. That's how Sellers got like 6+ tds that season. Same frikkin play.

Yeah that's a nice play and very similar to what I was talking about, except sellers in that play goes out as a lead blocker with the QB. In most of the cases he does a bump and run (feigning a block by just tapping a defender- leaving him open in the flat) and gets the ball. If the defender stays with him the QB can either option to run or look for Cooley, Yoder or the open WR .

What I'm hoping we'll see in the Zorn era is more fades to Davis, Kelly, Thomas and Mix. This can also free up Cooley underneath (which was his TD of choice in the endzone last year- see Giants, Lions games as just a few examples)

1. Jason Campbell will excell and succeed in the WCO. In the game vs. the Lions (his best game of the season), Campbell did well with short/intermediate passes and did so with no Moss and ARE only for a half (injury). With Caldwell, McCardell, Portis, Betts, Lloyd and Cooley. Campbell finished with the following stats:

23 of 29 for 248yds and 2TDs.

Again he did this with mid-range passes that were accurate and well timed.

If Zorn can hone this type of performance consistantly, Campbell will have a true breakout year with the extra weapons added in the offseason.

Substitute some names and you have Moss, ARE, Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas, Portis, Betts, Fred Davis and Cooley.

Some fresh, hungry talent, adult-sized, no one walking in off the street and no part-time rappers at WR.

No 7-layer dip offensive coaching staff.

Spread things out, and let CP do his thing on the ground with a *knock on wood* healthy O-line.

:)

Great post WD. I only worry that this team will

a) have a lot of injuries b/c of existing injuries that keep resurfacing from many of these vets

B) that we played beyond our talent level b/c of ST's death

c) Campbell will not have the kind of protection he needs to be successful b/c of inconsistant O line play

Those are my main concerns going in to this season. If we can stay healthy in the trenches, and Jason can play well, we should be okay.

Again, nice post!

HTTR

7. Keep this Gibbs play.

There is a pass play where Cooley is on one side of the field. Rolls out to the other side of the field (which the WR on that side has already cleared out the DBs) and he's wide open. I saw this play alot in many of the games last year and each time it seemed to work. Heck it even worked for Yoder (see his TD in the Bears game).

Great assessment, and I think Zorn will definitely utilize something similar. The bottom line is if they're playing man and Cooley is matched up against a LB, they can't keep up with him all the way across the field, and if they're playing zone he runs through multiple zones which can make defenders a step slow. The only requirement with plays like this is getting the time to let him drag across the field.

I also agree with what you said about Campbell being good in the WCO. It's always seemed to me like he's most succesful when he's throwing in rhythm and that he can make very accurate throws when he has a 3/5 step drop and throws under 15 yards. Sure he misses some, but I think he can make the necessary throws.

Those are some interesting and good looks from 2007 to carry over to 2008

We all know this team is very close and there is some serious good young talent on both sides of the ball. And as you stated the problem in Gibbs 2.0 was finishing games, how many 2nd half leads were blown in 4 years? Enough where it probably cost us the playoffs in 2004, home field advantage in 2005 and at least a shot at the division in 2007

Will having bigger and more WR's help in the red zone late in games? Will JC carry over the good strides he made last year? Will Zorn's system fit this personell?

B) This team plays much better when our starters are healthy. Washington, Griff and Daniels should be healthy at least going into the preseason. When they are healthy they actually provide a decent pass rush.

:obvious:

:laugh:

nice breakdown, i just thought that one was kind of funny.

We all know this team is very close and there is some serious good young talent on both sides of the ball. And as you stated the problem in Gibbs 2.0 was finishing games, how many 2nd half leads were blown in 4 years? Enough where it probably cost us the playoffs in 2004, home field advantage in 2005 and at least a shot at the division in 2007

I don't remember the number, but there was a graphic on NFL network showing the skins lead the league in blown halftime leads since Gibb's return.

I think Godfrey was actually a pretty big loss...more so than others may think. He played stellar when called upon. Marcus Washington is oft injured. Rocky McIntosh is coming off of major knee surgery. Godfrey would have been a great player to keep as insurance.

I don't remember the number, but there was a graphic on NFL network showing the skins lead the league in blown halftime leads since Gibb's return.

It was some ridiculous number. Something like 13 2nd half leads lost in the 4 years of Gibbs 2.0

I think the fact that we lost games from being conservative was a very important tidbit. We could have easily won 2-3 games lost if not for that. I'm sure Zorn & Smith won't allow that to happen.

Good post.

I don't know if it was always being conservative or a lack of execution at times. The first Giants loss of 2007 was clearly from being conservative. The Bills loss though? That to me seems that the O could not get out of its own way in the red zone

In respionse to the last point you made....I was reading a couple of books online aboput the WCO, and most of the pass plays and what seems to be the goal of many opf the plays is to do just what you are saying, weither use the WRs to clear the DB to open the TE/RBs or to create mismatches in the zones getting the LBs and safeties onto your best WRs

I whole heartedly agree with #2, #5, and #6.

A team with a good Oline and Dline can dominate with little talent elsewhere. A team loaded with talent but with a poor Oline and Dline will simply be mediocre at best. Our offense struggled last year because of our Oline injuries. Our defense was strong because of the Dlines play(increased sack total, dominating against the run).

Portis has shown how explosive a player he is, whether running it, or catching it out of the backfield. With all of the downfield threats we will have this year, that means even more opportunities to get the ball to Portis or Betts underneath. Ill take Portis one on one against a LBer anyday.

Finally no, it wasnt an illusion that we just seemed to be losing games we had first half leads in. It also wasnt a coincidence. As much as Gibbs brought to this organization(such as, the ability to win again, which is kind of nice), his primary failure was his inability to hold a lead. The problem was just that. He would try and hold it. We KNOW we have a good team because they were always able to jump out into a lead and dominate the first half of a game. But everytime the offense got pulled back, the defense started playing loose, and we played not to lose, which never works. I think mostly this had to do with Gibbs not being as young as he used to be. He didnt have the same fire a younger coach has, so instead he just wanted to hang on. Its going to be imperative for Zorn to correct this. If Zorn simply runs the same team, offense, and defense that we had last season, and his only change is to be more aggressive in the second half(what I mean by that is he continues to play just how we did in the first), this team will go places.

Here are some scary facts about how good this team was last season...in the first half.

If the game ended at half-time, the Redskins would have been 12-4 last year. In those 12 games, they outscored opponents 161-44 before the half. The 4 games they trailed at the half? The opening game against Miami, the blowout to the Pats, the "gift" game against the Bucs(where we gave them 4-5 turnovers in the first half), and a game against the Jets. In 2 of the 4 the Redskins went on to win. So throwing out the pats game as just being hopeless, in 15 games, in the first half the Skins outscored opponents 176-87. That shows you how bad we were in the second half.

If the game ended at half-time, the Redskins would have been 12-4 last year. In those 12 games, they outscored opponents 161-44 before the half. The 4 games they trailed at the half? The opening game against Miami, the blowout to the Pats, the "gift" game against the Bucs(where we gave them 4-5 turnovers in the first half), and a game against the Jets. In 2 of the 4 the Redskins went on to win. So throwing out the pats game as just being hopeless, in 15 games, in the first half the Skins outscored opponents 176-87. That shows you how bad we were in the second half.

Wow, that really does help quantify just how bad we were in the second half. Thanks for the stats.

Good breakdown of the film. I hope you're right about Jason. I know I believe he's the guy, and I think he'll show it this year.

I think Jason is going to excel this year. He had flashes last year. But he should be more settled and should have learned a lot from watching TC during the run to the playoffs.

Here are some scary facts about how good this team was last season...in the first half.

Good grief. Maybe we should peititon the NFL for only 30 minute games?

That was the complete opposite in Gibbs 1.0. I am curious to figure out just WHY that kept happening

It was some ridiculous number. Something like 13 2nd half leads lost in the 4 years of Gibbs 2.0

Something was missign for joe in his second stint ... not sure about the regular season but i saw a stat the other day during the replay of the seattle wildcard game that put JG teams at 17-0 when they have a lead in the second half.

He didn't just forget how to put the hammer down on teams his second time around ... what was he missing? The dominant o-line, the special teams? The D?? The play calling?

Anyway, I really like the OP's assesment. I'm pretty stoked that JZ is not a push over and that he is earning the respect of the players, I'm just worried that he has waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much on his plate this first year with regards to responsibility.

Archived