Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How to Celebrate the Fourth of July

skinsfan51

A good reminder... Happy 4th! Thank GOD for America. May she turn back to him the way her Founders would have wanted.

How to Celebrate the Fourth of July (from Email newsletter)

By David Barton

http://www.wallbuilders.com

Born in 1776 with the Declaration of Independence, America has had only one form of government. Neither our closest allies nor our fiercest enemies have experienced the stability with which God has blessed America.

When the Founders approved the Declaration of Independence in 1776, John Adams suggested the way in which the day should be celebrated. We still follow his suggestion that the Fourth "be solemnized with pomp and parade -- with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other," but we seem to have forgotten his recommendation that the day "be commemorated as a day of solemn deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty."

The spiritual element in celebrating the Fourth was important to the Founding Fathers and was practiced by Americans for generations afterwards. In fact, in his 1837 Fourth of July speech, John Quincy Adams observed:

"In the chain of human events, the birthday of the nation is indissolubly linked with the birthday of the Savior. It forms a leading event in the progress of the Gospel dispensation. The Declaration of Independence first organized the social compact on the foundation of the Redeemer's mission upon earth -- it laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity."

According to John Quincy Adams, on the Fourth of July the Founders took the precepts of Christ which came into the world through His birth and incorporated those principles into civil government.

This is an excellent year to recover the original spirit of the celebration of the Fourth of July. We therefore recommend that in this year's celebration:

• Take time to honor and thank God on the Fourth -- make it a day celebrated "with solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty."

• Read the Declaration of Independence. Shortly after the Founders originally approved the Declaration, they took it outside and read it aloud to the assembled crowd; and George Washington also had it read aloud in each regiment of the Continental Army. Even then it was important to know the reasons for our founding, and it remains no less important today.

• Read John Quincy Adams' fabulous
1837 Fourth of July oration .

• Honor the memory of those (past and present) who sacrificed so much for our country. In fact, take one name that you do not know from among the 56 signers of the Declaration (you can find the list of signers
here ) and look online for a brief biography of that one signer and thus familiarize yourself with yet another early patriot.

Just Gonna Get The Woman, Goto The Local Highschool Proly, Post Up And Watch. Can Proly See From Our Patio Dont Know, First 4th At The New Place

I Miss Going Down The Potomac And Watching The Fireworks From The Memorial While On The Water (boat). Good Stuff, Very Crazy Getting Out Of There Afterwards Tho

You and I are on the same page, sf51. But I fear this thread is going to be a trainwreck.

If it becomes a train wreck, hog, it won't be because the facts are refuted. Everything Barton said is historically accurate.

Most train wrecks here in ES come from clashing passionate opinions, which I expect from those replying to my posts. (And, no, I don't say what I say to offend or for "shock value." I post what I believe. Simple as that.)

God bless! :)

If it becomes a train wreck, hog, it won't be because the facts are refuted. Everything Barton said is historically accurate.

Most train wrecks here in ES come from clashing passionate opinions, which I expect from those replying to my posts. (And, no, I don't say what I say to offend or for "shock value." I post what I believe. Simple as that.)

God bless! :)

Some people still have it right. It's good to be reminded of that every once in a while.

God bless you also.

Thankfully we have the freedom to ignore the efforts of those who want us to share their beliefs.

I'm sure the author has no ulterior motives. It's just a pity that he only used John Adams and John Quincy Adams as inspiration to bolster his July 4th celebrations. Personally, I prefer to mix in a little Thomas Jefferson.

Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear.
Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State.
And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors.

Mr. Jefferson was a great man.

Thankfully we have the freedom to ignore the efforts of those who want us to share their beliefs.

The Christianity nerve must lay awfully close to the skin. Yours is certainly easy to touch. :laugh:

Mike Huckabee loves you Raub! :cheers:

That original site is Christian :blahblah: WE ARE NOT A CHRISTIAN NATION!!! :soapbox:

Debatable, but if true--not ANYMORE. But it was founded upon Christian principles. (Read my signature quote.)

Interesting though that you seem to dismiss the value of what was said because it came from a Christian website. Very interesting. :doh:

How about letting the professionals handle the fireworks and everyone keep their fingers and hands for your family's sake? Too many people handling fireworks and too many accidents. I work in a hospital and every year, someone over-estimates their knowledge of explosives.

well, we over here are going to get some charcoal, wait till the temp dips below 110, and attempt to barbeque army rations- hopefully we have the steak meal somewhere. We may attempt to find some "near beer" (got that crap is awful- sure could use some real booze!) and BS around a bonfire to the glow of oilwells. Ah, the joys of Iraq.

Archived