Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Olympic basketball team announced

artmonkforHOF

Here is the list of 12 representing the US in Beijing this summer. Keep in mind, I have no idea who is starting, I am listing positions by the best player IMO.

PG-Chris Paul

PG-Jason Kidd

PG-Deron Williams

SG-Kobe Bryant

G-Dwayne Wade

G/F-Michael Redd

SF-Lebron James

SF-Carmelo Anthony

SF-Tayshaun Prince

PF-Chris Bosh

C-Dwight Howard

C-Carlos Boozer

Anyone else concered about the lack of depth in the front court? I know this is more of a jump shooting game than the NBA, but if any team has a good Center/Power Forward combo, or 3 or 4 7 footers they like to rotate in, I think Boozer, Bosh and Howard are going to get pretty tired.

Well, I remember at the qualifying games in Vegas LeBron and 'Melo were the 3 and 4, so LeBron can get the 4 (or hell, he could also play the 2 if needed). Also, games are only 40 min. long, so I don't think there'll be a big problem (hell, in the playoffs, Howard AVERAGED over 40 min. per game).

EDIT: As for the Big 3: Apparently KG just wasn't interested, Pierce: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/lopresti/2008-06-17-pierce-olympics_N.htm

Allen, I understand (they already got shooters: Kobe, Wade, LeBron, 'Melo, Kidd, can all hit the three).

Well, I remember at the qualifying games in Vegas LeBron and 'Melo were the 3 and 4, so LeBron can get the 4 (or hell, he could also play the 2 if needed). Also, games are only 40 min. long, so I don't think there'll be a big problem (hell, in the playoffs, Howard AVERAGED over 40 min. per game).

I dont think the issue is stamina...i think the bigger issue is that the US bigs tend to get some quick whistles in international ball and foul trouble could be an issue without the frontcourt depth.

I like the roster as well. But, my only issue is if others have mentioned if Howard and company get into foul trouble.

The issue a few years ago was defense. The way the international teams move the ball this team is going to have to D up. People like Carmello (who I personally can't stand) is going to have to show that he's going to play defense.

The new era of guys just haven't showed me there willing to do that

I like the roster as well. But, my only issue is if others have mentioned if Howard and company get into foul trouble.

The issue a few years ago was defense. The way the international teams move the ball this team is going to have to D up. People like Carmello (who I personally can't stand) is going to have to show that he's going to play defense.

The new era of guys just haven't showed me there willing to do that

I know a team that can D it up with the best of em'. They can even score a bit too.

They might be a little bit tired at this point though. :D

EDIT: As for the Big 3: Apparently KG just wasn't interested, Pierce: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/lopresti/2008-06-17-pierce-olympics_N.htm

Allen, I understand (they already got shooters: Kobe, Wade, LeBron, 'Melo, Kidd, can all hit the three).

Peirce was on the last olypic team which lost. I think he came away from the entire experience pretty discusted by international basket ball. He along with Tim Dunken were fouled constantly in that tournement. The team had no outside shooters and suffered for it. Very frusterating for them... I remember and interview after their last game when they both said they weren't going to try out for the next team, give someone else a try...

My problem with the current roster is the same problem I had with the last roster. We had scorers in Iverson and Peirce, but we didn't have any shooters. Guys who slash in to the paint to score aren't nearly as effective in the international game cause the paint is dominated by ghoons which hard foul every penetration.

In 2004 we got beat cause we didn't have the pure shooters.... I believe Iverson was our best shooter on that team and he was 40th best shooter in the NBA at the time.. ( scoreing percentage shooting from the outside.)

My opinion is too many me-first players:

Kobe

Lebron

Carmelo.

Why is Kidd on the team again?

As long as they use Redd for situational minutes only, he can't play D worth a damn.

Where is Elton Brand?

The opposition is going to pound the ball inside to create foul problems. This team, in my opinion, will not win Gold.

Kobe

Lebron

Carmelo.

As long as they use Redd for situational minutes only, he can't play D worth a damn.

Where is Elton Brand?

The opposition is going to pound the ball inside to create foul problems. This team, in my opinion, will not win Gold.

Watching Kidd getting burned will be painful.

Watching Kidd getting burned will be painful.
Why not just field the original Dream Team? Dude can't guard NBA players like Janero Pargo! Young PGs from around the world (Juan Carlos Navarro anybody?) are going to destroy him. I hope he is only there to sit the bench.

What would you change? I think this team will have to run to be successful, but they pretty much did that in Vegas.

3 point line for starters. And I'd let them play basketball. Or make them wear skirts. either/or.

I know a team that can D it up with the best of em'. They can even score a bit too.

They might be a little bit tired at this point though. :D

Garnett was one of the first people who came to my head when this roster was formed. I would rather have him over Boozer any day of the week

Kobe

Lebron

Carmelo.

Where is Elton Brand?

I agree,

By the way Brand is coming off achilles surgery and likely won't risk injury in Olympic games.

My big issue is that this team of current players really aren't great defenders. I think this team can certainly win Gold, but again this new era of guys (and im only 23) doesn't repersent like guys of the past. They look at it differently. If we can D up then they will return the gold, if not then I don't see us doing any better than 4 years ago

Garnett has already won a Gold Medal (in 2000 I believe) - in 2004 he was getting married during the summer and so he sat out and this year his wife just gave birth to a baby last month I believe.

As far as the big 3 go I think Team USA would be better with any or all of the 3 players who were willing to play but I'm pretty sure they are all exhausted after the Finals run.

No clue what Carmelo is doing on this team. No defense and no ability to make teammates better. They have plenty of scorers on the team and they should have filled his spot with someone who actually attempts to play defense.

Hell, Caron or Jamison could have made this squad better IMHO - although they might take the Gold anyway.

International Basketball rules need a major overhaul.
I think the NBA needs a major overhaul!

International rules require you to have fundamentals, something the NBA began to lose in the 90's. John Stockton was the last player to dribble the ball without breaking the rules. Iversons famed crossover is so egregiously illegal it isn't even humorous. Lebron travels and carries every time he drives. Wade palms the ball. Kobe carries just about everytime he dribbles.

The mid range jumber will kill the US team. Every int'l team can hit the 15-18' jumper, the US has maybe 2 guys who can cinsistantly knock it down.

The best player in the Olympics for the US will most likely be Boozer. He has to be fundamentally sound in order to play his position in the NBA.

Archived