Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wired:Website Lets You Send a Post-Rapture E-Mail to Friends 'Left Behind'

jpillian

Brilliant! (why didn't I think of that?!?!) :cheers:

Website Lets You Send a Post-Rapture E-Mail to Friends 'Left Behind'

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/06/service-lets-yo.html

If millions of Christians suddenly disappear from the face of the Earth as the opening act for Armageddon, Threat Level thinks most nonbelievers will be too busy freaking the hell out to check their e-mail. But if they do log in, now they can be treated to some post-Rapture needling from their missing friends and loved ones, courtesy of web startup YouveBeenLeftBehind.com.

For just $40 a year, believers can arrange for up to 62 people to get a final message exactly six days after the Rapture, that day when -- according to Christian end times dogma -- Christians will be swept up to heaven, while doubters are left behind to suffer seven years of Tribulation under a global government headed by the Antichrist.

"You've Been Left Behind gives you one last opportunity to reach your lost family and friends for Christ," reads the website, which is purportedly run "by Christians, for Christians." The domain name is registered through an anonymous proxy service, presumably to protect the proprietors from the Forces of Darkness, and not because they're up to anything shady.

The e-mails will be triggered when three of the site's five Christian staffers "scattered around the U.S." fail to log in for six days in a row -- a system that incorporates a nice margin of safety, should two of the proprietors turn out to be unrepentant sinners or atheists.

Users can also upload up to 150 megabytes of documents, which will be protected by an unidentified encryption algorithm until the Rapture, then released to up to 12 nonbelievers of your choice. The site recommends that you use that storage to house sensitive financial information.

"In the encrypted portion of your account you can give them access to your banking, brokerage, hidden valuables, and powers of attorneys," the site says. "There won't be any bodies, so probate court will take seven years to clear your assets to your next of kin. Seven years, of course, is all the time that will be left. So, basically the Government of the Antichrist gets your stuff, unless you make it available in another way."

Of course, some of us would sooner trust the Antichrist with our stuff than turn it over to a company that hides behind an anonymous domain registration service, and doesn't list a single corporate officer or employee by name on its website.

The company, You've Been Left Behind LLC, didn't respond to an e-mail query, raising the obvious question of whether the Rapture has already begun. Developing …

Update: You've Been Left Behind's Mark Heard responded to our e-mail Wednesday.

The site is for real. I came up with the idea back in 1999, for my own personnel situation, but did nothing about it. I started thinking about it again last year. I first contacted another company about putting it together. We discussed it for about a month, but they weren't really interested. In the meantime I found two other sites that were offering a similar idea. One was run by and Atheist who mocked his customers. (not exactly trustworthy to the Christian!) The other was a postcard snail-mail system. Neither one had the ability to edit stored documents and addresses. I ended up building the system that I needed.

The encryption is 256bit, but that is all I know of it. I'm not that tech savvy. I'm the guy who pays, the central link between team members, and face.

I actually started by registering the domain name. I don't really no why it shows up as anonymous, possibly because of the service I registered it through, possibly because I did not buy their servers and assign the name to it.

We do have customers. The site has seen a great deal of traffic. I think that most of the traffic is by angry non-Christians checking it out and venting on various blogs. I have read quite a few of these and politely answered some of them. I have taken some of their negative comments as constructive criticism and ordered a few changes on the site.

This is so stupid. Do people want to gloat or something? We're talking about people's salvation!

My goodness, on the Day of Judgment I'm not gonna be saying "I told you so", I'm gonna be thinking about those I had an opportunity to share the Gospel of Christ with but didn't for whatever reason!

The whole Pre-Trib/Rapture theology movement really is starting to make me sick. :puke:

This will never come to pass.

The people behind this website aren't doing it to help Christians. They're doing it to make a quick buck & rip some people off.

THEREFORE, they won't get "Called up" when the rapture starts, meaning these emails will never be sent......

As a Christian, I'd say that's pretty disgusting
This is so stupid. Do people want to gloat or something? We're talking about people's salvation!

My goodness, on the Day of Judgment I'm not gonna be saying "I told you so", I'm gonna be thinking about those I had an opportunity to share the Gospel of Christ with but didn't for whatever reason!

The whole Pre-Trib/Rapture theology movement really is starting to make me sick.

Ditto.

I will say, it doesnt' SEEM like it's so much a thing to say "I told you so", but a way to effectively transfer your assets after you're gone.

I'll hand them this. They are taking action based on their belief, so that's a good thing. I just think the rapture theology is a bunch of hogwash. But as a fellow Christian, I really think its immaterial. My last day could be today; what of it if I am caught up in the clouds or in the grill of a Peterbuilt?

BTW -- I really didn't post this to be uncharitable to those that believe in that rapture. I just thought it was an unbelievable idea for a web site.

The whole Pre-Trib/Rapture theology movement really is starting to make me sick. :puke:

I knew I liked you! :D

Honestly though, the whole movement is about money.

Step 1: Write a book about impending rapture.

Step 2: Wait 3-5 years while book sells and predictions don't come to pass.

Step 3: Design new cover and republish book.

Step 4: Buy Ferrari.

Step 5: Go back to step 2.

The really sad thing is that I am not joking.

Honestly though, the whole movement is about money.

Step 1: Write a book about impending rapture.

Step 2: Wait 3-5 years while book sells and predictions don't come to pass.

Step 3: Design new cover and republish book.

Step 4: Buy Ferrari.

Step 5: Go back to step 2.

During what step do you buy the strawberry milk and mop?

Ditto.

I will say, it doesnt' SEEM like it's so much a thing to say "I told you so", but a way to effectively transfer your assets after you're gone.

I'll hand them this. They are taking action based on their belief, so that's a good thing. I just think the rapture theology is a bunch of hogwash. But as a fellow Christian, I really think its immaterial. My last day could be today; what of it if I am caught up in the clouds or in the grill of a Peterbuilt?

BTW -- I really didn't post this to be uncharitable to those that believe in that rapture. I just thought it was an unbelievable idea for a web site.

Very well put.

I do believe in the rapture. As far as the website goes I think its a great Idea, Because if you believe in the rapture (like me), you know that the time remaining on earth is short and is going to be the worst days the world has known. However, those left behind still will have the opportunity for salvation which is the message I would want to get across. That would be paramount IMO. I mean, my assets, with 7 years to go, OK sure, take em.

Very well put.

I do believe in the rapture. As far as the website goes I think its a great Idea, Because if you believe in the rapture (like me), you know that the time remaining on earth is short and is going to be the worst days the world has known. However, those left behind still will have the opportunity for salvation which is the message I would want to get across. That would be paramount IMO. I mean, my assets, with 7 years to go, OK sure, take em.

If they're your friends and family, presumably you've shared your faith with them, and if you and all the other Christians around the world are suddenly taken up (I hope all the planes have non-Christian co-pilots :silly: ), I'd hope they could figure out the score without an e-mail.

"One man rules the earth

And rides the seven-headed beast

Ten diadems, to rule them all, to crown them all

The world, religion at his feet

Dreams are told of dreams of old

This day will surely come

So, run my child and hide your face

Once you've been marked it's finished, done"

From the site:

We have set up a system to send documents by the email, to the addresses you provide, 6 days after the "Rapture" of the Church. This occurs when 3 of our 5 team members scattered around the U.S fail to log in over a 3 day period. Another 3 days are given to fail safe any false triggering of the system.

Does anyone else think it would be stinking funny if this somehow failed and all these emails went out?

This is way better than the VHS tape the Left Behind people made for you to put in your house for loved ones to find I saw about two years ago. I went back the store to find it and buy it a few days after I saw it (I have an extensive collection of this crap) and someone had beat me to it. :(

If there is no rapture do you get a refund?

No, just keep paying that $40 a year.

I'd have liked to see the business plan that showed their prediction of when rapture would occur and whether they would have recovered their initial investment in the web site.:)

No, just keep paying that $40 a year.

I'd have liked to see the business plan that showed their prediction of when rapture would occur and whether they would have recovered their initial investment in the web site.:)

Will it be able to tell the difference between God taking me up and aliens taking me up?

Darby's estate really should be getting a cut of this and the left behindhind series

Will it be able to tell the difference between God taking me up and aliens taking me up?

No. The website will trigger the e-mails if three out of the five staff members fail to logon for work for six days.

I can see this being triggered and all the confidential financial inforamtion being published. :)

Archived