Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Oil price related: Bill is passed in congress!!!! HR 6074

skinpride1

Here it is HR 6074!!!

Title I amends the Sherman Anti-trust act to read "It shall be illegal and a violation of this Act for any foreign state, or any instrumentality or agent of any foreign state, to act collectively or in combination with any other foreign state, any instrumentality or agent of any other foreign state, or any other person, whether by cartel or any other association or form of cooperation or joint action--" to affect the output or prices of oil. Also, soverign immunity is waived for all nations with regards to this, and all US courts must accept any case brought under this act against any defendant, anywhere in the world.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?tab=summary&bill=h110-6074

Everyone across the united states needs to jump on this unless you want to be paying 7 to 8 dollars a gallon for gas in the next two years!!! I for one do not!!! I'm tired of the whining and complaining get off your butt and light the phones up to the capital building!!!

This bill has to go before the senate to become official please contact your senator and demand this bill be passed!!!!

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

SO the wasted time on this piece of crap.

As opposed to F'ing doing something they could actually do?

Idiots.

I'm suing them. That should go over just as well.

Europe is putting solar towers in the Deserts of Africa and trading water for it.. They are worried supply could be cut off..

pssssst.. We have our own death valley. +15% Power to a strained grid.

Wind farms on cliffs by the ocean... 5%

Anwar + Florida + California + new refinaries = 20%

Shale oil = Same amount in Saudi Arabia.... = 30%

New technology 60+mpg = 15% less dependant..

nope.

Lets sue another country, its almost the same as naming a post office.

For the ones that prefer plain language the bill allows suits against OPEC and any nation and confiscation of their property in the US..

Good luck with that when they control over 90% of the worlds oil , and we reuse to drill for our own.....Can you foresee any problems ?:laugh:

I'm echoing. How exactly do we enforce this?

This seems as ridiculous a waste of time as legislation about freedom fries.

Maybe now that it's illegal we'll get some footage of some drunken shirtless Yemeni oil tycoon getting arrested while his harem women ullulate on "Cops".

~Bang

Well at least someone is trying to do something about the oil prices!! I still think the American people should do something to OPEC to keep oil prices from increasing to dramatic rates!!! I want the bill to pass!!!

Screw OPEC!!!

Screw OPEC!!!

I agree with that statement, but it's a global economy. We don't make the rules and furthermore any laws that we pass here certainly don't apply in the middle east. I just don't see how this bill would aleviate anything.

Drilling ANWAR would be a better option in my opinion.

This has got to be the stupidest bit of nonsense I've seen all year. I'll propose an answer to the "how are they going to enforce this" question. After legal wrangling, we confiscate Saudi/OPEC property "X" in this country. OPEC then raises prices to reimburse the owners of that property--->American consumers pay for it with increased gas/oil prices and take it up ye olde bum yet again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

This bill is not exclusive to the Middle east.

Actually, we get less than 20% of our oil from there.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/import.html

This does not negate the arguments made here, but it should help inform who we are "targeting"

No kidding? ;) ...Those of you that approve believe we have the right to set the price we will pay for another's property???

This ain't Eminent Domain we're talking here:laugh:

Not enough stones to outright seize others oil or develop our own supplies,but enough to try and determine what a fair price is through threats and seizures of assets.. :doh:

I thought the 2005-2007 Congress was useless. This easily is the most useless session of Congress in my lifetime. Minimum wage raised a buck. Hooray. Everything else (except Iraq ironically) worse off then when they came into power

Well, to be fair ,they tried to screw that up too. ;)

I thought the 2005-2007 Congress was useless. This easily is the most useless session of Congress in my lifetime. Minimum wage raised a buck. Hooray. Everything else (except Iraq ironically) worse off then when they came into power

I guess you were asleep from 02-06 then ;)

For the ones that prefer plain language the bill allows suits against OPEC and any nation and confiscation of their property in the US..

Thanks for the explanation, but I still don't get it. We're going to sue Opec in an American court? Can't they just tell us to buzz off?

Deflect away Mike!! I guess that makes you feel better for all the arrogant assumptions you made over the several years prior to the democratic party taking control of Congress. Everything was going to be so much better when the Dems are the majority party!! Yippie!!! Rainbows and Puppies for everyone!

If "sue OPEC," 4 dollar gas (probably 5 before the election) and bloated give away to multimillionaire farmer farm bills were what you were expecting in November 06, well more power to ya my friend. But, as history has shown, it was par for the course :silly:

Archived