Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jerseys - Game-Worn, Team-Issued, Authentic, Replica, Fake, and everything in between

Mark The Homer

I don't collect retail authentic jerseys ... but ...I'm gonna go out on a limb and call this genuine. The main reason is the appearance of the "N" below. The two seams within the letter span from corner to corner. Only retail jerseys do that (not gamers) and I've never seen a counterfeit jersey with an N like that either. But if you go to a Redskins store and look at the N on the retail jerseys in the store, they all look exactly like the N here. Therefore, I think it's a legit jersey.

IMG00047-20090706-1714.jpg

This one below looks like a nice jersey. I'd like to see the N up close.

What strikes me as odd is the numbers on the sleeve. They look like they're crushed or squeezed from top and bottom. This is typical of some game jerseys, depending on the sleeeve style. My belief was retail jersey sleeve numbers are always straight forward like on the front and back - not crushed like that. Here are some examples:

http://shop.redskins.com/CategoryDetail.aspx?CategoryID=500

Of course, those are digital images, not real images.

taylorback.jpg

This one below looks like a nice jersey. I'd like to see the N up close.

What strikes me as odd is the numbers on the sleeve. They look like they're crushed or squeezed from top and bottom. This is typical of some game jerseys, depending on the sleeeve style. My belief was retail jersey sleeve numbers are always straight forward like on the front and back - not crushed like that. Here are some examples:

http://shop.redskins.com/CategoryDetail.aspx?CategoryID=500

Of course, those are digital images, not real images.

taylorback.jpg

Check out this Clinton Portis Game Worn Jersey via Webshots. In this instance, the numbers are "crushed" as you said. You'll see the same effect in this rookie gameworn Taylor jersey. I believe linemen have numbers that are straight up and down but it may vary. Here's an Andre Carter game worn jersey. And then its front. On the other hand, this Mark Wilson gamer has "crushed" sleeve numbers.

I don't collect retail authentic jerseys ... but ...I'm gonna go out on a limb and call this genuine. The main reason is the appearance of the "N" below. The two seams within the letter span from corner to corner. Only retail jerseys do that (not gamers) and I've never seen a counterfeit jersey with an N like that either. But if you go to a Redskins store and look at the N on the retail jerseys in the store, they all look exactly like the N here. Therefore, I think it's a legit jersey.

IMG00047-20090706-1714.jpg

You've made a good point. Perhaps the jersey material and Redskins insignia are genuine. The only thing that is bothersome is the cresting of the numbers and the letters in the nameplate.

I have seen similar discrepancies at official Redskins stores, too, where authentic retail jerseys feature letters in the nameplate that are shorter and thicker than the ones that are crested for game jerseys (more narrow condensed).

Check out this Clinton Portis Game Worn Jersey via Webshots. In this instance, the numbers are "crushed" as you said. You'll see the same effect in this rookie gameworn Taylor jersey. I believe linemen have numbers that are straight up and down but it may vary. Here's an Andre Carter game worn jersey. And then its front. On the other hand, this Mark Wilson gamer has "crushed" sleeve numbers.

Yes. But we're not talking game worn jerseys. We're talking about retail jerseys.

My point is, I am not sure I've ever seen a legitimate retail jersey with crushed numbers like that.

Yes. But we're not talking game worn jerseys. We're talking about retail jerseys.

My point is, I am not sure I've ever seen a legitimate retail jersey with crushed numbers like that.

I have two authentic jerseys, one from nflshop.com and the other from reebok.com that have the crushed numbers. I got these jerseys in 05 or 06 and I thought that is how the authentics would be from then on. But last year when I got a new ST authentic, they had gone back to the tall skinny numbers. The crushed numbers seem very rare on retail authentics, but some did come with them.

I will have to agree with MTH in that the burgandy ST jersey on the previous page is indeed authentic and not a knockoff.

I have a few retail authentics that were bought from Redskins stores and they have the taller, skinnier numbers. I never had a retail authentic that had crushed numbers, although it seems there were a few in prodiction.

I have two authentic jerseys, one from nflshop.com and the other from reebok.com that have the crushed numbers. I got these jerseys in 05 or 06 and I thought that is how the authentics would be from then on. But last year when I got a new ST authentic, they had gone back to the tall skinny numbers. The crushed numbers seem very rare on retail authentics, but some did come with them.

Thanks for sharing this. I bought that ST "retail authentic" through reebok.com in 2006. The new ST you bought was from nflshop.com, no?

So some retail jerseys purchased from reebok.com have the crushed numbers? Good to know, thanks. I personally like the crushed numbers. I think they look better.

Yes I ordered it via Reebok.com that summer and personalized it as TAYLOR 36. It went through with no problems. Although, Sean T. started wearing No. 21 during his sophomore year (2005-2006), I liked him better in No. 36 and wanted a rookie jersey.

Here is Bobby Mitchell Jersey I got from a guy in the Philippines on eBay. It is pretty close to what the 1960s Jerseys were like with the long sleeves, rounded collar, no mesh and the numbers were sewn on. Only thing is the NFL did not have the name plates on the back of the jerseys then like the AFL did.

mitchell_bobby.jpg

BobbyMitchellFront.jpg

BobbyMitchellBack.jpg

I see what you mean now. I found this picture from an eBay auction. The left picture on the front of the jersey has "straight up" digits on the sleeves, while the right picture features the "crushed" ones.

Notice, though, that the letters in the nameplate are thinner or condensed.

R700A_was26red.jpg

In contrast, the same seller has a Clinton Portis retail authentic with thicker letters in the nameplate. I have found jerseys like these at the Redskins stores in Tysons and Dulles Town Center.

700A_was26wht_b.jpg

700A_was26wht_f.jpg

700A_was26wht_b2.jpg

I see what you mean now. I found this picture from an eBay auction. The left picture on the front of the jersey has "straight up" digits on the sleeves, while the right picture features the "crushed" ones.

Notice, though, that the letters in the nameplate are thinner or condensed.

Yes.

Also, look at his pic here:

http://www151.pair.com/cartman/R700A_was26red_f.jpg

See the "N"? The seam is not correct. That tells me it's a fake. It's parts are layed backwards - from right to left rather than left to right. This tells me it was done by Asians.

Or Israelis. :silly:

Yes.

Also, look at his pic here:

http://www151.pair.com/cartman/R700A_was26red_f.jpg

See the "N"? The seam is not correct. That tells me it's a fake. It's parts are layed backwards - from right to left rather than left to right. This tells me it was done by Asians.

Or Israelis. :silly:

Ha. Well here's the front of the ST No. 36 jersey as promised. And this jersey, a size 48, was made in Korea. Hope this helps.

inisgnia.jpg

So some retail jerseys purchased from reebok.com have the crushed numbers? Good to know, thanks. I personally like the crushed numbers. I think they look better.

Yep, but they seem quite rare. I got one from nflshop.com too. I agree, the crushed numbers look better.

Another thing I notice comparing Riggsy's legit jersey with the counterfeit eBay jersey is, the circle formed inside the P and the R in "PORTIS" is a rectangle in the fake jersey, but it's a perfect square within the legit jersey. Also, the ends of the "S" are longer in the fake jersey, shorter in the legit jersey.

These are good things to know when scoping out legitimate jerseys. :)

Archived