Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jerseys - Game-Worn, Team-Issued, Authentic, Replica, Fake, and everything in between

Mark The Homer

The seller's explanation is the following:

"They were made for the rookie photo shoot and he never wore it"

The thing about this seller is that he is from Wisconsin and seems to have the current 2009 game cut pro bowl jerseys for sale. He must have some inside connection with Ripon.

I am assuming Ripon must have had the 2004 lying around and put on the Landry nameplate?

Maybe. I don't know if we can assume it. We can theorize it. Who knows? I did see the seller was from Milwaukee.

When you say "2009 game cut pro bowl" jerseys, are you saying Ripon made them? Did they also make the 2008 jerseys for the league? I'm not clear on that. So these are sewn numbers, right?

Because at the sale, they had a sewn 21 Taylor pro bowl jersey made by Ripon. It was hanging on the fence outside. IIRC, the bidding started at $900. They called it an "Authentic", although obviously it wasn't really an authentic since Ripon doesn't make authentics, and we know it wasn't a team issued either. So I was wondering if Ripon is the outfit who actually manufactures pro bowl jerseys for the league.

The seller's explanation is the following:

"They were made for the rookie photo shoot and he never wore it"

The thing about this seller is that he is from Wisconsin and seems to have the current 2009 game cut pro bowl jerseys for sale. He must have some inside connection with Ripon.

I am assuming Ripon must have had the 2004 lying around and put on the Landry nameplate?

What he says about the rookie auction is true, I won the same jersey (may be this one since I sold it a while back) from nflauction.com. It was a 2004 used for the rookie premier, which Landry did not attend. He either bought it from the person I sold it to, or acquired another one from nflauction. I think they auctioned two, but I am not sure.

Maybe. I don't know if we can assume it. We can theorize it. Who knows? I did see the seller was from Milwaukee.

When you say "2009 game cut pro bowl" jerseys, are you saying Ripon made them? Did they also make the 2008 jerseys for the league? I'm not clear on that. So these are sewn numbers, right?

Because at the sale, they had a sewn 21 Taylor pro bowl jersey made by Ripon. It was hanging on the fence outside. IIRC, the bidding started at $900. They called it an "Authentic", although obviously it wasn't really an authentic since Ripon doesn't make authentics, and we know it wasn't a team issued either. So I was wondering if Ripon is the outfit who actually manufactures pro bowl jerseys for the league.

Well, he has the actual photos of the Portis jersey up now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270337401602

It has the characteristic tagging of a Ripon jock tag....don't see the inside care tag nor the neck size and year.

What he says about the rookie auction is true, I won the same jersey (may be this one since I sold it a while back) from nflauction.com. It was a 2004 used for the rookie premier, which Landry did not attend. He either bought it from the person I sold it to, or acquired another one from nflauction. I think they auctioned two, but I am not sure.
Wow, that is cool. It's amazing how small the world is -within the confines of those buying and selling gamers.
Well, he has the actual photos of the Portis jersey up now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270337401602

It has the characteristic tagging of a Ripon jock tag....don't see the inside care tag nor the neck size and year.

That is a cool jersey. It sure has that gamer look - it being so long. I wouldn't pay $700 for it, but it's cool. I bet that seller has a deal with Ripon. I bet he pays roughly half of what he's asking.

So... nobody here knows for sure if Ripon manufactures pro-bowl gamers for the league. Correct?

If I was forced to guess, I'd guess they do.

Edit: I asked the seller some questions. The seller says Ripon manufactures Pro Bowl jerseys, and has been doing so since at least 2001 or 2002. The seller says Ripon does not sew the year and size swatch to the back of the neck on pro bowl jerseys, for whatever reason.

Edit again: Researching further - I strongly suspect the Portis pro bowl jersey Portis will be wearing on the 8th will be different than the one this guys is selling. We know there are basically two styles of sleeves. He has Portis with the loose sleeve style. I bet Portis appears on the field with the snug sleeve style.

Edit 3x: Seller tells me the sleeves are probably incorrect on the Portis because Ripon ran out of snug sleeves. But he says he also has a Cooley and confirmed those are the proper snug sleeves.

Edit 4x: Seller emailed me, says he'll sell any jersey for $550 if you ask him. Sizes are 48 and 52 only.

My opinion is yes, it's safe to conclude that. But there's one other possibility: Could it be that the team simply replaced the nameplates? Probably not likely, but I don't think it's out of the question.

76906438.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193861A1C1D75ABE90B05984042E4FFC0314EF3EA9A178B7582

Another oddity is - in the below pic, Wilbur has the block font, not the straight font.

79158415.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1933EFCA682023730385D26D303A64BEF444EF3EA9A178B7582

Edit: Did a little research. The Redskins Encyclopedia by Michael Richman states that the Redskins played Miami during the 1972 pre-season. It's possible that getty images mis-categorized (wouldn't be the first time) the above pic which would explain the odd font.

lweidy - the floor is yours.

Sorry I have replied sooner.

Still looking for the shot of Sonny on the sideline in SBVII. I’d bet my last nickel it was in a magazine McDonald’s published for the Super Bowl about 30 years ago. May just have to get one on ebay.

As for the “Wilber issue”, I mentioned it on post 262. I believe it was his season jersey because it was “lineman tailored” and didn’t want to change. Just conjecture on the reason, but certainly wasn't the new set.

Myron Pottios had the new jersey but his name was in a font that was neither consistent with all other new jerseys or the full-block worn during the season.

I’m also pretty certain the names were screened or heat pressed directly on to the jersey.

I actually won this jersey on ebay. It seemed OK considering a real Landry goes for $1000 or so. Plus it is a 46 so I have a chance I'd fit into it.

What is interesting about this jersey is that even though it is tagged as an 04 it has the numbers of an 06 where by the gold is a thin trim piece surrounding the white. The inside spandex is also has the flannel feel of the 06 jerseys and newer. The sleeve cuffs are indeed 04 though. It was probably a blank 04 that was completed in 2007 with the latest numbering method. I can't explain the flannel spandex though.

The neck coller surround was not sewn just right though which is why it was probably a blank left over...the inside and outside seem shifted in the sewing so that it doesn't lay flat. Best explaination is that if it could be ironed there would be creases left after ironing.

wpns 3/5...does this seem like the jersey you had?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Xav,

Yes, that's an odd tag. If I was forced to guess, I'd guess that, since 2002 was the first year that Ripon was making these jerseys, they put the incorrect tag on some of the early jerseys. I am totally guessing here.

Re the sleeves, you're right, those aren't the classic lineman's sleeves that hug the body of the jersey. But they're also not loose. I saw a Ramsey jersey at Montgomery Mall last year, and those sleeves had no cuff at all, the sleeve was just loose and flat (ironically, photos of Ramsey on the field show him wearing cuffed sleeves). But this eBay jersey seems to have sleeves kind of like Smoot's jersey in post #1; not the cuff, but the way the cuff and sleeve is designed. The cuff is placed away from the body of the jersey allowing more freedom of the arms.

Both the 70th and 75th anni jerseys were unique. The Redskins never wore numbers on top of the shoulders, although other NFL teams did in days of old.

Okay, thanks for clarifying that.

I know that the 75th mimiced the uni's worn from 1970-1971. Did the 70th mimic any? I'm seeing online that it was the 60s, but I haven't found specific years.

Adidas jerseys don't have neck tags. The sleeve cuffs look funny to me too - too flat. And the 75th patch is wrong, should be a white ring around the outside. And the number fonts look wrong - too thick. There's so many things wrong, we should make a list.

Yeah, somebody ruined a perfectly good gamer.

I have a Sean Taylor probowl jersey that is the closest lookin to authentic fake i have ever seen. It has stiched on EVERTHING, and has the official logos and emblems. It was made in china and bought off of Ebay for....$25.00 with free shipping, best deal i have ever found.

Here's a small sampling:

dcp5727ck3.jpg

I need help. :(

While I don't have game worn ones. I have a bunch of jerseys including a few authentics that I ordered from NFL.com. So when threads about discounts come up. I get that itch. Its hard to not order one these days.

p.s.- This thread needs a sticky

Archived