Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DC Sports Bog: Redskins vs WaPo

Walking Deadman

David Elfin of the Washington Times is much better in regards to the Redskins and the washington Times is better about listing their so called sources. You know when JLC is listing his sources he actually is listing his own hunches.

JLC is horrible and should cover the cowboys and their sources/hunches.

that you particularly lamented the use of anonymous sources by one of that media company's star employees

And there's the problem. A beat writer who thinks HE is the star of everything & not the TEAM that he's assigned to cover. If hat's what he wants to be, then he needs to be taken off the beat & become a columnist. At least Jason Reid gets multiple direct quotes instead of 'sources' when he's covering the Skins.

If the Skins want people to stop reading the Post, then they need to do a much better job with their inside info. Larry just doesn't cut it.

breaking news isn't the practice fields being under water.

Skins.com still has NOTHING on their new hire that was reported. So, either that story is false, or they are just WAY behind the curve.

Right now all the team is giving us is Larry on the radio, Gary with occasional articles, and Karl posting as Andyman. None of those are a consistent source of new information.

If the Skins want people to stop reading the Post, then they need to do a much better job with their inside info. Larry just doesn't cut it.

breaking news isn't the practice fields being under water.

Skins.com still has NOTHING on their new hire that was reported. So, either that story is false, or they are just WAY behind the curve.

Right now all the team is giving us is Larry on the radio, Gary with occasional articles, and Karl posting as Andyman. None of those are a consistent source of new information.

Maybe the Redskins haven't announced this "new hire" b/c they aren't ready to do it yet.

Or maybe there are some obligations he still has with the Bears before the Redskins can officially say anything.

I doubt they haven't announced anything simply b/c they haven't gotten around to it.

None of those are a consistent source of new information.

What a coincidence - neither is JLC. :laugh:

The problem I have with that blog entry is that it insuinates that it is incumbent upon the Redskins to mend fences with the Post, implying that the Post is the sole aggrieved party. One of the editors at the Post could reach out to Snyder and try to heal the rift, as well. There are two sides to this. I'm obviously not privy to any of the details of this feud and how it originated, but I find it hard to believe that either side is blameless.

The Post has to come to the conclusion that this is not a battle that they can win. The Redskins are bigger than it is in this town. There are any # of outlets for news, but the Redskins have no competition.

The problem I have with that blog entry is that it insuinates that it is incumbent upon the Redskins to mend fences with the Post, implying that the Post is the sole aggrieved party. One of the editors at the Post could reach out to Snyder and try to heal the rift, as well. There are two sides to this. I'm obviously not privy to any of the details of this feud and how it originated, but I find it hard to believe that either side is blameless.

The Post has to come to the conclusion that this is not a battle that they can win. The Redskins are bigger than it is in this town. There are any # of outlets for news, but the Redskins have no competition.

:applause: :applause: :applause: I just wish people would stop reading JLC and the post. Then, maybe, they would either get their heads out of their asses or they would just go away.

I think there are two problems here:

1. No newspaper has quite figured out this blog business. I like JLC's stuff for the most part, but I feel 60 percent of what goes into that blog is just him feeling obligated to post something because he has a blog.

2. Dan's background is in direct marketing but that model doesn't really cut it with an NFL team - particularly a paranoid one like the Redskins. They don't release enough information to feed the beast and the information they do release feels so sanitized. I also assume those twin censors from Good Morning Vietnam are just sitting out of camera shot when he speaks. The Redskins could probably bypass the Post if they wanted to, but they need to provide quality information and product to do so.

:applause: :applause: :applause: I just wish people would stop reading JLC and the post. Then, maybe, they would either get their heads out of their asses or they would just go away.

I used to hit WP-Redskins and Redskins Insider everyday, multiple times. I haven't been to either one in months. I just read the portion of the articles that get posted here.

The Post coverage isn't nearly what it should be, and JLC's blog is just disgraceful.

The most insightful things I have ever read concerning the Skins have been right here on this site.

The bottom line is that they just aren't doing right by the fans. Noone who really loves the team wants to listen to these endless tirades or constant negativity. It's fine to be fair and balanced, but the WP and Jenkins and LaCanfora in particular have long since crossed that line.

The Skins' & Post feud goes way way back. I still remember the Cooke-Post and Gibbs-Christine Brennan dust ups. F the post they've always had that our poop doesn't stink arrogance about themselves.

I once asked Larry about who edits his stuff or tells him what to do. He said no one. So I'm guessing he thought this would be fun...and I think it is. Funnnier yet that the Post has written about it, meaning more and more people will see it.

On top of that, Steinberg calls the Post "down on its luck"!!

The Post coverage isn't nearly what it should be, and JLC's blog is just disgraceful.

The most insightful things I have ever read concerning the Skins have been right here on this site.

The bottom line is that they just aren't doing right by the fans. Noone who really loves the team wants to listen to these endless tirades or constant negativity. It's fine to be fair and balanced, but the WP and Jenkins and LaCanfora in particular have long since crossed that line.

:applause: The best post in this thread...You sir,are correct. :cheers:

First off, writers use anonymous sources all the time. It's part of the business. If you're a writer, sources often give you information on the condition of anonymity. If you break that trust with them, they no longer give you information. Obtaining information in this way may seem sleazy, and in some ways it is. But it is how the business works, for better or for worse.

That part of JLC's work I have no problem with, because again, it's how the business works.

Where I sometimes do have a problem with JLC is when he inserts too much personal opinion or even bias into his blogs and articles. Even if he thinks the Skins' organization is a joke of an operation, I don't want that opinion shoved down my throat by the beat writer.

Now here's where I take issue with the Skins. They need to stop giving a **** about what JLC writes. Seriously. This is not the 1960s where people get all their information from one or two sources. We're in an information age where people have access to unprecedented amounts of data and information, thus giving us greater resources to develop our own ideas and opinions.

We're not robots who are programmed by JLC to think a certain way, and then de-programmed by the Redskins to stop thinking that way. We're human beings, and we have the ability to THINK CRITICALLY about the things we read. I may read something from JLC, but it doesn't necessarily mean I'll agree with it. Heck, I probably disagree with more things I read than agree with them.

It's as though the organization fears that people will become indoctrinated the moment we read something negative about the organization. Come on. We're not that simple. I read negative things about the organization on this very board all the time, but I have the ability to filter out the things I think are crap.

Thing is, if JLC feels he's getting a rise out of the organization when he writes something, chances are he's going to keep doing what he's doing. It raises his profile. But by responding to and attacking JLC, the Redskins are actually giving him more attention and more credibility than he'd ever have on his own.

People who don't even know who JLC is probably look him up simply because they want to see who this writer the Redskins keep complaining about is.

Bottom line? Let JLC say whatever the hell he wants. No matter how unfair or off-base it is. Because at this moment, when the Redskins respond to him, they simply appear childish and paranoid. And I expect more out the organization. Just tune the naysayers out and concentrate on winning football games.

The best way to shut JLC and other naysayers up is to field a good football team that wins more games than it's expected to win. And when you win a Super Bowl, you'll make the naysayers look more foolish than you ever could by responding to their articles.

what about the bombastic ES news team of Jimmijo and Murph?

I once asked Larry about who edits his stuff or tells him what to do. He said no one.

Which explains that train wreck of a clip - disaster in the thought behind it as well as its execution. Who else in the world would take credit for that? Larry Michael = Shameless Stooge.

First off, writers use anonymous sources all the time. It's part of the business. If you're a writer, sources often give you information on the condition of anonymity. .

You have a point, but why is anonymity required when someone tells you Morrocco Brown is an up-and-comer? The Post has standards for use of anonymous sources, which can be found on line.

They require that the information is critical to public knowledge and can't be obtained any other way. They also require than you explain why a source can't be identified. I don't see any of that in Jason's posts....and the Post has also said things on their web site must meet the same standards as in the paper.

That's my complaint....they aren't holding Jason to the standards they should, which means to me that the Post has decided that where the Skins are concerned, Jason can do what he wants, any way he wants.

Which explains that train wreck of a clip - disaster in the thought behind it as well as its execution. Who else in the world would take credit for that? Larry Michael = Shameless Stooge.

That may be true, but at least the team is letting him say what he wants to say...even though it may be juvenile or dumb.

Archived