Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2008 Mini-Camp - Day 3 (Write-up/Final)

JimmiJo

are you serious? the guy hasnt played a down in the league, hasnt even had a chance to prove anything about his ability to play, and so many people are already calling for the skins to cut ties or trade him. he overslept, its a mistake, these kind of things happen. he met with zorn in the afternoon to explain himself and this should be the end of it. this kid can help our team alot. stop calling for his head and chill out.

If it turns out to be an isolated thing, totally agree. That kind of thing happens, especially with a young guy. If it continues, well, I think Zorn will deal with it :)

are you serious? the guy hasnt played a down in the league, hasnt even had a chance to prove anything about his ability to play, and so many people are already calling for the skins to cut ties or trade him. he overslept, its a mistake, these kind of things happen. he met with zorn in the afternoon to explain himself and this should be the end of it. this kid can help our team alot. stop calling for his head and chill out.

I would respond by saying it's a privilege to play in the NFL, the ultimate goal and money maker for these guys. You've been at it a total of 2 days trying to put yourself on the roster. If he had phoned, then maybe give him a pass but you just don't do that.

Here's what I would do with Davis:

Offer him a ridiculously low contract knowing you won't come to terms and hold him out for the year. If he gets it then great, if not cut ties or try to trade him.

:2cents:

Agreed...I mean sleeping?!?! Who sleeps anyway?

Maybe if some of you took a page out of his playbook you wouldn't be so quick to snap and flip out about every little thing that isn't perfect.

It happens. If it continues to happen then theres a problem for Davis, but how does it harm the team at all? The other players aren't gonna start taking days off because a rookie overslept or continued to do so. He just wouldn't be playing for the Skins or sign a big contract.

The draft pick you say? Lets see where things take us before we worry about losing that pick. This isn't the worst thing to ever happen, he overslept, and not because he was in jail and they wouldn't let him out.

I would respond by saying it's a privilege to play in the NFL, the ultimate goal and money maker for these guys. You've been at it a total of 2 days trying to put yourself on the roster. If he had phoned, then maybe give him a pass but you just don't do that.

he didnt call anyone because he was ASLEEP. when he woke up he called and went to the park and met with zorn. it's not like he was sitting around awake and just didn't go.

lol@ you people I bet there isn't a single person in this thread that has NEVER overslept.... get real for a minutes guys these players aren't robots, give the guy the benefit of the doubt, now if it becomes a problem or if it becomes an event in a series of problems then yea flip out, until then stop acting like you're all perfect and never overslept >< good god

he didnt call anyone because he was ASLEEP. when he woke up he called and went to the park and met with zorn. it's not like he was sitting around awake and just didn't go.

Still not acceptable. When you are going to get paid millions of dollars you have to be responsible and have some sort of accountability.. There is no excuse. Especially when you are a rookie who only practiced twice.

lol@ you people I bet there isn't a single person in this thread that has NEVER overslept.... get real for a minutes guys these players aren't robots, give the guy the benefit of the doubt, now if it becomes a problem or if it becomes an event in a series of problems then yea flip out, until then stop acting like you're all perfect and never overslept >< good god

Yeah but when you oversleep and are late to work and dont show up. Sometimes you get fired right. Depending on the situation. There is no difference. A job. You work for someone and its disrespectful. There are things called alarm clocks. Wake up services. Family or friends you can have remind you or call you or stop by. Come on. I am more mad at all the excuses I am hearing that him actually oversleeping. Not to mention. There are people in camp that are trying to take his place. :2cents:

My problem is that he did it on the third day on the job. No matter where I've worked and no matter how much or how little Ive been paid, when I started a new job every fiber of my being would be focused on doing my absolute best. I would arrive early and stay late. I would do work off the clock just to make sure I was adjusting to my new employer's environment and expectations. It was imperative of me during those early stages to make the absolute best impression so that they were secure and confident in their decision to hire me.

There's no way in hell I'd ever oversleep on my 3rd day on the job. More likely I'd be waking up every 90 minutes and checking my alarm because I'd be afraid it wouldn't go off and I might oversleep by 30 minutes or so.

Whoa. I think some of you are overreacting a tad in regards to Davis oversleeping. First of all, you can't say "if this was a real job," because it's not. In fact, it's nothing like a real job in the real world. Davis is a first day pick of the Redskins. 99% of people who have a job in the real world have to go around busting their ass off for a job. The comparisons have no merit.

Second, the guy overslept one day. Ok, it was a mistake on his part. Sean Taylor(may he rest in peace), would regularly miss the 'voluntary' workouts. He would go entire offseasons not returning a HOF head coach's phone calls.

Keep in mind that Davis has just moved from the chill and laid back west coast to the hectic east coast. Not only does he have to adjust to a new city, but he has to deal with the 3 hour time difference. So if he had to be there at 9, it was more like being there at 6 for Davis(It sure as hell felt like that for me coming back to D.C. for at least the first week). And I don't think he has too many family/friends in the area.

And how is he supposed to call and let Zorn know the situation? I doubt that Zorn carries around his cell phone at practice(even if he does it more than likely would be on silent). We do know that he said that they had contact with him. So he obviously did call when he woke up. He probably just couldn't reach Zorn.

BTW, off topic but for anyone who is interested, I found Rivals.com's WR prospect rankings of 2004(coming out of high school). Fred Davis was the #3 ranked prospect(and had a 4.5 forty at 210lbs.) and Calvin Johnson was actually #6. Early Doucet was #1.

http://www.nfldraft.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=525

Don't these guys all stay together? How does one of them oversleep and get left behind?

Ding ding ding!

I was told they had all the rookies at the same hotel near Redskins Park. If it is anything like training camp then team security was nearby. For what the team has invested in this group, I'm guessing this is the case. Further, I'm thinking they bunked players together.

I am not trying to stoke the flames because it is not clear what happened, and if this is the only thing with the guy it will be soon forgotten. If he turns into a problem child however we will be hearing about this for years to come.

Whoa. I think some of you are overreacting a tad in regards to Davis oversleeping. First of all, you can't say "if this was a real job," because it's not. In fact, it's nothing like a real job in the real world. Davis is a first day pick of the Redskins. 99% of people who have a job in the real world have to go around busting their ass off for a job. The comparisons have no merit.

Second, the guy overslept one day. Ok, it was a mistake on his part. Sean Taylor(may he rest in peace), would regularly miss the 'voluntary' workouts. He would go entire offseasons not returning a HOF head coach's phone calls.

Keep in mind that Davis has just moved from the chill and laid back west coast to the hectic east coast. Not only does he have to adjust to a new city, but he has to deal with the 3 hour time difference. So if he had to be there at 9, it was more like being there at 6 for Davis(It sure as hell felt like that for me coming back to D.C. for at least the first week). And I don't think he has too many family/friends in the area.

And how is he supposed to call and let Zorn know the situation? I doubt that Zorn carries around his cell phone at practice(even if he does it more than likely would be on silent). We do know that he said that they had contact with him. So he obviously did call when he woke up. He probably just couldn't reach Zorn.

BTW, off topic but for anyone who is interested, I found Rivals.com's WR prospect rankings of 2004(coming out of high school). Fred Davis was the #3 ranked prospect(and had a 4.5 forty at 210lbs.) and Calvin Johnson was actually #6. Early Doucet was #1.

http://www.nfldraft.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=525

Holy...you can't seriously thinking "there's a time change" and "California is more laid back" are adequate excuses for Davis oversleeping lol :laugh:...

It's really simple: Fred Davis had a responsibility to his new employer and he didn't live up to it. Nobody should give a rat's ass if he has jet lag. Nobody should give two ****s about the vibe difference betwen the east coast and the west coast. And Davis should especially not care about these two things.

And by the way, Davis better believe he has to "bust his ass off" to make the team.

I can't believe I've been missing out on such great coverage.

Thanks!!!!

That's ok, Murf tells me I miss it when I'm at Redskins Park. Not sure what he means by that though...

Seriously, thank you and all for the kind words. It is my pleasure to help bring my fellow fans the view from the inside. My only complaint is how much credit you people give to Murf. Fact is, I do twice the work for half the credit. If he wasn't so damn tasty to look at, I might complain.

And for all those who say they are jealous of what I do, you should be. This gig is awesome. I am blessed to have gotten it, and that's why I take advantage of every opportunity to do the work.

But the work for me is easy. The heavy lifting around here is done by the mods. Remember to tip them on your way out.

Holy...you can't seriously thinking "there's a time change" and "California is more laid back" are adequate excuses for Davis oversleeping lol :laugh:...

It's really simple: Fred Davis had a responsibility to his new employer and he didn't live up to it. Nobody should give a rat's ass if he has jet lag. Nobody should give two ****s about the vibe difference betwen the east coast and the west coast. And Davis should especially not care about these two things.

And by the way, Davis better believe he has to "bust his ass off" to make the team.

I mentioned the "laid back" part for the hell of it. But speaking out of experience, the time difference can be a ***** though. And as regards to whether he needs to "bust his ass off" to make the team, that was not what I was trying to say. While I certainly do think that he needs to "bust his ass off" to avoid getting buried in the depth chart, his spot on the team is not in jeapordy if he doesn't necessarily give it his all. What I was trying to say is that you can't compare a rookie high draft pick's first mini-camp to a guy out in the real world's first few days at a new job. They're two totally different worlds.

The people here who are calling for Davis' head are doing so because they are pissed off that we took him over a DL/OL. For the record, I wanted Calais Campbell and was totally shocked when Goodell said Davis' name. That doesn't mean we should now cut him because he overslept on the 3rd day of training camp. I also looked at almost every scouting report web site. None mentioned any character concerns over Davis.

Ding ding ding!

I was told they had all the rookies at the same hotel near Redskins Park. If it is anything like training camp then team security was nearby. For what the team has invested in this group, I'm guessing this is the case. Further, I'm thinking they bunked players together.

I'm not so sure about that. When traveling for away games, each 'Skins player gets his own room.

So now we put a bow on another mini-camp. Unlike the last two years I have been out here there will be no June mini-camp. The team will have a week of OTAs beginning tomorrow. They will then break for about three weeks and reconvene in June.

It has again been an absolute pleasure bringing you the goings-on from Ashburn throughout camp. This one was special in that it was the first for Coach Zorn. For the record I like him and liked how camp was run this weekend. There was a ‘breath of fresh air’ sort of feeling this weekend.

After watching the new coach for three days I will tell you that I think our team is in good hands.

So until next time, this is JimmiJo, signing off from Redskins Park.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

My only complaint is how much credit you people give to Murf.

Sad truth is, Murfs sexy as hell. You're okay and all, but lets face it, Brian's smokin' hot. Nothing to be ashamed of. Some of us are destined to be Brad Pitt, some Entertainment Tonight talking heads.

I mentioned the "laid back" part for the hell of it.

:laugh: Gotcha... :thumbsup:...Within that context it's a pretty funny comment lol...

But speaking out of experience, the time difference can be a ***** though.

Tell me about it...I live in California (hence, the screen name heh), and have family in D.C....But it's never caused me to miss an appointment or ANYTHING of importance in the morning, because responsibility trumps being tired 100% of the time.

And as regards to whether he needs to "bust his ass off" to make the team, that was not what I was trying to say. While I certainly do think that he needs to "bust his ass off" to avoid getting buried in the depth chart, his spot on the team is not in jeapordy if he doesn't necessarily give it his all. What I was trying to say is that you can't compare a rookie high draft pick's first mini-camp to a guy out in the real world's first few days at a new job. They're two totally different worlds.

I don't think their worlds are that different...and actually I think the two worlds overlap in numerous and important ways. I think if Davis--well, every rookie--were to approach it like the "average joe" approaches getting a new job, they'd be better players for it. I'm praying Davis isn't telling himself "I KNOW I have a spot on the team, so I can relax a bit". I hope he takes the "average joe" mentality and tells himself "Yeah, the hired me, but if I don't show dedication and perform right off the bat they can always fire me".

The people here who are calling for Davis' head are doing so because they are pissed off that we took him over a DL/OL. For the record, I wanted Calais Campbell and was totally shocked when Goodell said Davis' name. That doesn't mean we should now cut him because he overslept on the 3rd day of training camp. I also looked at almost every scouting report web site. None mentioned any character concerns over Davis.

I literally dropped my tv remote, had my mouth hanging open in silence, and started laughing when I heard we picked a TE with the second 2nd round pick lol...and, no, Davis should not be cut over this, that's ridiculous. I guess I just don't want the board to fill up with excuses as to why fans should not care that he overslept. We should care. HE should care (hopefully he does). Zorn should REALLY care (and it's apparent he does lol)

Sad truth is, Murfs sexy as hell. You're okay and all, but lets face it, Brian's smokin' hot. Nothing to be ashamed of. Some of us are destined to be Brad Pitt, some Entertainment Tonight talking heads.

And then there's me with a face for radio and a voice for print.

Archived