Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Possible June 1st cuts?

#1skinsfanever

Since the new CBA took effect a few years ago, the salary cap structure was changed to place a de-emphasis on 6/1 cuts.

A player can be cut anytime after the draft IIRC as if it were 6/1.

Don't hold me to this but I believe this is correct.

Since the new CBA took effect a few years ago, the salary cap structure was changed to place a de-emphasis on 6/1 cuts.

I'm diggin the sig oldskool! That's got me excited!!!

June 1st is the start of the NFL year. Therefore, if you are cut before June 1st, you count on this year's cap. After June 1st, you split that cap hit among two years.

This has become less of an issue as teams manage the cap better. Also, you can cut a guy before June 1st but designate him as a June 1st cut. (The team gets the cap relief they want and the player that is cut has a real chance to find another opportunity somewhere.) I think you can only designate a couple of players per year for this, but it really hasn't been an issue.

Yea i think you are correct. I think a team can designate a player a "6/1 cut" to allow them more time to find employment and for the team to still get the cap benefits. There might be a limit on how many players a team can do this to early or something. I dont know.

Phillip Daniels?

Im interested to see who gets cut. We're set on offense. No more excuses for the offense, but the Defense still needs some upgrades and depth.

Hopefully we see Jason Taylor. We cut Daniels saving us 2.98 mill and sign Taylor for the short term. He's still got 2-3 years left and is a short term answer. 2009 Draft better be mostly Defense :)...

Possible cuts:

Frost

Thrash/Mix/Mathis

Todd Wade

Tyler Ecker

Rob Jackson

Chad Horton

That's all I can think of right now

i doubt mathis gets cut. hes too young and talented to be let go this early. you dont just cut a 24 year old pro bowler. only reason we dump him is if his injuries creep back up.

thrash - agreed

mix - he'll stay for special teams id think, he was great last year.

frost - agreed

wade - depends on the rookies, but i can see this.

ecker - agreed

jackson/horton - dont know enough about them.

Phillip Daniels?

Im interested to see who gets cut. We're set on offense. No more excuses for the offense, but the Defense still needs some upgrades and depth.

Hopefully we see Jason Taylor. We cut Daniels saving us 2.98 mill and sign Taylor for the short term. He's still got 2-3 years left and is a short term answer. 2009 Draft better be mostly Defense :)...

Phillip Daniels? If we cut Daniels who do you think will play the other end? Taylor is not really that likely. Maybe our 7th round pick?:laugh:

i think Griffin is expendable with the emergence of Montgomery and Golston. injuries have hindered the play of Griffin over the last couple years. Frost is definitely gone. you don't spend a draft pick on a kicker/punter unless the one you currently have is not going to be around for long. Daniels is a tough question. Is Wilson ready to start, maybe, can Daniels stay healthy for the whole season, probably not. I would bet this is his last year. Wade is gone, he was a revolving door last year. There's a couple others I can't think of right now.

I'm pretty sure thsi is wrong. Any team can cut up to 2 players before the 1st June and have them count as post June 1 cuts for cap purposes and so defer the majority of the cap hit into the next year - as we did with Brandon Lloyd.

There is no provision for cuts after the draft which alter the above.

However with the increase in teh overall cap number and teams being much better at managing the cap there are very few good players released on or just after June 1 anymore.

If we are after some D'Line or O'Line depth or maybe a safety our best hope is to scan the waiver wire toward the last cuts in trainingcamp/pre seasonor a trade.

Archived