Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has there been 1st rounders cut?!

skins86

i was reading a thread the other day and somebody predicted thay our 2 2nd rd receivers would make the team.....well obvious responses were pretty much "no ****" or fans would be pissed.

but it got me to thinking....has there ever been a 1st round selection...who not because of an accident/death but just based on no skills...didnt make the team? and not just redskins, but nfl in general?

You can't cut them because they have massive signing bonuses that would get forwarded to the current season in terms of cap. You can't take a $10+ million hit on the cap for a busted 1st rounder.

Besides, if they were in the 1st round presumably they have some kind of ability, so you keep them around to lessen the cap damage and hope that they improve.

If they weren't signed, then it's a different story.

didn't Andre Johnson the Tackle we drafted from Penn state never even make it to training camp with us. I pretty much thought we cut him a week after the draft.

Yes, the skins drafted him in the first round of '96 (granted, it was late first round, via a trade from Dallas), and he never made it out of camp:

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/VA-news/VA-Pilot/issues/1997/vp970825/08250162.htm

Another episode in one of the most turbulent periods in recent Washington Redskins history was played out Sunday with the waiving of offensive lineman Andre Johnson, the team's first-round pick in 1996.

In paring the roster to the league limit of 53, coach Norv Turner also waived defensive end Dexter Nottage, a sixth-round pick in 1994, reserve running back William Bell and offensive lineman Michael Batiste.

Today, Turner will announce the team's five-man practice squad. Sources say that Chesapeake's Jim Kitts will be one of the five players put on the squad. None of the players released Sunday is eligible to man the other spots.

Since 1990, the Redskins have used first-round picks to draft defensive tackle Bobby Wilson, receiver Desmond Howard, cornerback Tom Carter, quarterback Heath Shuler, receiver Michael Westbrook, Johnson and rookie Kenard Lang. Only Westbrook and Lang are left.

The waiving of Johnson leaves only three players on the roster from the class of '96, none of them

starters - safety Leomont Evans, running back Stephen Davis and defensive end Kelvin Kinney.

The Redskins made a draft-day trade with Dallas, sending second- and third-round selections to the Cowboys, to move into the first round and select Johnson, a 6-foot-5, 314-pound former Penn State star. Although he was named second-team All-Big Ten as a senior, Johnson leaves the Redskins never having played in a regular-season game.

He was on the team's inactive list for 15 weeks last season. He did not play in the one game in which he dressed.

From the start, Redskins coaches had been hopeful Johnson would come around. Last summer, they took pains to publicly state that they considered an offensive lineman's transition from college to the pros the most difficult. They told everyone they would be patient with Johnson.

They were pleased when Johnson spent the offseason in Washington and was a regular in strength coach Dan Riley's workout room. Concerned that he wasn't quick enough to play left tackle, they moved him to the right side a couple of weeks ago, behind veteran Ed Simmons.

But injuries forced a move back to the left side. Johnson then had a miserable game against Miami on Thursday night. He was beaten for two sacks and consistently appeared flat-footed and reaching to keep defensive ends away from the quarterback.

``Like a lot of young players, Andre plays pretty well for three or four plays, then makes a bad one,'' Turner said after the 28-7 loss. ``Right now, he's not able to avoid the real bad play. When you're playing out there at tackle, that negative play has an effect on everyone.''

Arizona cut their 3rd round pick last year...a linebacker named "Buster" as I recall.

With the financial investment in 1st rounders in today's NFL, it's unheard of to cut them. It makes more sense to just keep them on the roster even if he's a straight bum because of the cap hit.

But yeah, I remember Andre Johnson all too well. Those drafts from the 90s were just dreadful, but that one was just an outright catastrophe because we traded up for a man who could not move sideways without falling over.

has anybody just not signed their 1st rounder?

Haha...well plenty of guys have held out or demanded trades after the draft.

But usually the team has to sign a guy before he'll arrive at camp and prove how stupid the front office is for drafting him because he's a bum.

Did Lloyd Harrison (CB), our 3rd round pick in 2000 ever see the field for us? We let him go pretty quickly after drafting him, although I think he played a couple years after that for a couple other teams.

Also, Cliff Russell (WR) drafted by us in the 3rd round of '02 flamed out quickly after blowing out his knee.

answer to my question!

he kinda quit but all the same didnt make it to the regular season

29. Dimitrius Underwood, DE, Minnesota Vikings (1999)

It's hard to keep R. Jay Soward, John Avery and Jamain Stephens out of this spot, but Underwood is arguably the dumbest pick ever made in the first round. Despite the warning signs, Underwood sat out his last season at Michigan State for no legitimate reason and coaches at MSU told NFL scouts he wasn't mentally stable, Underwood was physically impressive enough to get the Vikings to take a leap … right off a cliff. He fled training camp on his first day, never to return. The Vikings cut him before the regular season began, at which point the Dolphins claimed him. He then went on to play for the Cowboys in 2000-01. Long story short, he attempted suicide twice in an abbreviated career and was never heard from again.

Huey Richardson is a pretty amazing story.

He was Chuck Noll's last first round pick - which is saying something considering how many Hall of Famers Noll drafted. Anyway, he sucked. He played one year under Noll and recorded zero tackles.

Cowher takes over the next season, takes one look at Richardson, and promptly trades him to the Skins for - like - a fifth rounder.

Richardson plays one year here and does nothing.

He ends his career like Bluto Blutarskey - recording zero.point.zero tackles.

http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=RIC491653

It happened during the training camp of his fourth season, but here is another good Steeler story.

Jamain Stephens was a first round pick in '96 at tackle. He never really developed and was alread in the doghouse.

On the very first day of training camp, he can't complete the 7 or 8 forty yard dashes that Cowher makes everyone run on Day 1. So, he cuts him that day.

A former first rounder still on his rookie contract getting cut on Day 1 is pretty special.

It's kind of amazing how many weird 1st Round stories the Steelers have considering that they have put together amazing drafts pretty much since 1969.

They took Gabe Rivera instead of Dan Marino. And Rivera paralyzed himself in a drunk driving accident his rookie year.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_457932.html

Out of all first round picks from 1970 through 2004, here are the players who have appeared in fewer than 16 games:

WR Sylvester Morris (KC, 2000) -- 15 games

WR Marcus Nash (DEN, 1998) -- 11

WR Yatil Green (MIA, 1997) -- 8

QB Jim Druckenmiller (SF, 1997) -- 6

OT Andre Johnson (WAS, 1996) -- 3

LB Craig Powell (CLE, 1995) -- 14

OT Trezelle Jenkins (KC, 1995) -- 9

QB Dan McGwire (SEA, 1991) -- 13

QB Todd Marinovich (Raiders, 1991) -- 8

QB Andre Ware (DET, 1990) -- 14 (7th overall)

NT Ted Gregory (DEN, 1988) -- 3

LB Billy Cannon, Jr. (DAL, 1984) -- 8

NT Gabe Rivera (PIT, 1983) -- 6

QB Art Schlichter (Colts, 1982) -- 13 (4th overall)

QB Rich Campbell (GB, 1981) --7 (6th overall)

DB William Anderson (SF, 1971) -- 15

RB Leo Hayden (MIN, 1971) --13

RB Larry Stegent (Cardinals, 1970) -- 7 (8th overall)

(It's possible that I missed a few...)

I made a note next to every player who was chosen in the top 10. I excluded the 2005-2007 drafts because some players have not had much of a chance to make it onto the field (e.g. Aaron Rodgers). However, it's wroth noting that the Saints' first-rounder last year, Robert Meachem, has not yet appeared in any games.

So every first-round pick from 1970 through 2004 has made it onto the field for at least one game, though I don't know if they all did it with the team that originally drafted/signed them.

has anybody just not signed their 1st rounder?

Well, I'm sure that there have been several players picked in the first round of the NFL draft, but were signed by a team in the AFL or USFL.

The first overall pick in one draft never signed with the team that drafted him, and it's not because the team traded him away: Bo Jackson was drafted by Tampa in 1986, and he elected to play baseball rather than endure such embarrassment.

According to the source below, Quentin Moses was "the highest-drafted player not to make his team's roster."

I think that's referring to the highest-drafted player that year, not all-time. But I may be wrong.

Archived