Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you like to see a Washington Redskins farm team/league?

michael_33

Hey, Yo. That's not what I was talking about.pointguy.gif

"The United National Football League was developed for one specific goal: to create professional opportunities for college football players! The league will evaluate players based on their football specific abilities all while giving them the opportunity to showcase their skills against the top rising talent in the country."

It won't work, and it's not what I meant. Why would a player take a chance on getting hurt before the draft? They are risking Millions. The on-field work is done by then, and who knows who will be drafted. Besides that they still have a chance to make a NFL roster as a free agent.

One example of why this would not work would be a guy like Stephon Heyer. Say he wanted to increase his stock last year and sprained his ankle playing in the United league. He wouldn't have been signed as a free agent and would have never got his shot.

I'm not trying to risk players who may be drafted, but rather let teams pay young professional players they decide are worth allocating to a developmental league.

I don't want to watch bad pro football.

Minor league baseball is just a different animal because baseball is - at its heart - an individual sport. A great baseball player is a great baseball player regardless of where he plays or who his teammates are. You can go to a Minor League game and see one player and say, "Hmmm...he might have something."

If you put Ladanian Tomlinson on a bad amateur team with a lousy line, he is going to look like ass.

actually, i think its been pretty damn successful

agreed.... there are a lot of guys that come out of the NBA developmen league. think about a guy like kelena azabuike who was undrafted, played in the D league and is now on the warriors roster, before their season ended.

i'd love a redskins farm league. there is a lot of talent in college, some just need a different venue to develop. i bet a lot of "busts" in the past could have gone on to become much better players had they played in a farm league. it's not easy to be NFL-ready after college.

The large majority of the teams are out west. There has been a huge failure for teams to succeed here. So will this become a trend in and nflfarm league. I just dont see this working well. People are already faithful to their pro or college team. Its not like baseball where people just like to take the family to the ballpark. If people dont go it wont be successful. What people are going to have to pay and the salary players will want to get paid wont just happen.

Also, the low salaries will cause so many players to not get out of the neighborhoods where they are going to get into trouble. So maybe the farm league will make the NFL arrest rate look low!

I kind of prefer the AFL farm system where they have a seperate league called the AF2. There are few more AF2 teams than AFL teams and they are not affiliated with the major teams. Instead, the major teams are free to try and sign anyone out of the minor league as needed.

The NFLE Europe model wasn't that bad execpt that it totally failed to tap into the local media market With the buzz and razamataz of the NFL going world wide regualr seaosn it should try and reinvent the NFLE again. The problem with the last incarnation of the NFLE was teams were just dumped on cities without really considering what the local suport or involvemnt would be. Take for example the Scottish Claymores the UK team were dumped in Endinbugh because of the availability of the stadiums despite the fact most of the support for the NFL is based in England and anything happening north of Watford if it isn't football or Cricket isn't going to get the BBC involved ..

One option would be to create a fund, which exisiting local semi pro organizations like the London Os or the London Blitz (both part of the BAFL) who already have youth teams coaching development and grass roots suport in place and they could bid for money and support from either the NFL as a whole or specific mentor organizations who would develop the training and coaching and the players could be drawn from a draft pool of players from the local teams, UFDA's and anyone who wants to try out .... (i.e. there would be an age rather than a collage eligability requirement)

The season would be short and run 6-8 weeks with a 2-3 week training camp after the draft with players being available for selection in the suplimental draft just prior to when the NFL opens their own camps but the farm teams would also be able to offer a retainer wage to the players who do not get selected to come back the following year if they want to ..it might be an idea to create extra practice squad spots for those players on NFL teams ( the mentor teams) who have been selected . That was another problem. Teams would develop fan favorites in the course of a season some would be picked up to play on thier respective teams other woudl simply return to the US to take up jobs stocking supermarket shelves...

The other problem is the time difference but if the games were played on a friday (or even a sunday) locally between 6-8pm local (1-3pm EST) then live games would be marketble in the US .

Just a thought

It won't work, and it's not what I meant. Why would a player take a chance on getting hurt before the draft? They are risking Millions. The on-field work is done by then, and who knows who will be drafted. Besides that they still have a chance to make a NFL roster as a free agent.

One example of why this would not work would be a guy like Stephon Heyer. Say he wanted to increase his stock last year and sprained his ankle playing in the United league. He wouldn't have been signed as a free agent and would have never got his shot.

I'm not trying to risk players who may be drafted, but rather let teams pay young professional players they decide are worth allocating to a developmental league.

I was thinking the same thing. The kids they are targeting think they have a shot at making the roster as an UDFA. They are not going to want to risk injury. They would be better served to look for players who have just been cut from NFL rosters in training camp and start the season a little earlier than the NFL.

umm all i got to say is, How successful is has the NBADL been??

Not good! Wont work for an NFL farm league either. People only want the real deal!!

What? The NBADL is working as far as developing talent its not there to sell tickets! The purpose is to get the rookies used the the NBA and work on slow developers don't judge the league by fan turn out, but by player put out.:2cents:

We would have to have a undrafted free agent draft to limit teams from stocking up on good undrafted guys with potential. (Like baseball's minor league draft?)

There are many things that would have to go into this. Not sure of the interest, but football is football. I don't follow minor league baseball or hockey, but being die hard football I might have a little interest.

You would pretty much have to institute 60 round drafts like they do in baseball. Pretty much draft everyone that is eligible and let them try out.

I was thinking the same thing. The kids they are targeting think they have a shot at making the roster as an UDFA. They are not going to want to risk injury. They would be better served to look for players who have just been cut from NFL rosters in training camp and start the season a little earlier than the NFL.

They would have no choice it would depend on what round they were drafted in. These players that would necessarily be cut would be placed in the farm league for further development! So now teams wouldn't have to cut guys to make room they could just sign them to their farm leagues as way of stashing potential diamonds in the rough.

It's for guys that were passed over the previous year that became UDFAs and then bounced from one practice squad to another or didn't make a final roster. This isn't for kids to quit college in December and go play in this league in January.

If a guy got passed over the previous draft and thinks he has a shot the next year he'll join this league or he may just give up and get a job. Many of these guys would love to have one last shot or two. Or at least be able to play the game for a few more years.

No, that league isn't for guys like Darren McFadden or Matt Flynn to make one more audition to strengthen their draft position.

It's for guys that were passed over the previous year that became UDFAs and then bounced from one practice squad to another or didn't make a final roster. This isn't for kids to quit college in December and go play in this league in January.

If a guy got passed over the previous draft and thinks he has a shot the next year he'll join this league or he may just give up and get a job. Many of these guys would love to have one last shot or two. Or at least be able to play the game for a few more years.

No, that league isn't for guys like Darren McFadden or Matt Flynn to make one more audition to strengthen their draft position.

I'm sorry, but you are reading it wrong. The league is exactly what I said it was and won't work for the reasons I mentioned. Here are some quotes from the link you provided.

The United National Football League was developed for one specific goal: to create professional opportunities for college football players! The league will evaluate players based on their football specific abilities all while giving them the opportunity to showcase their skills against the top rising talent in the country.

I don't think players who have been out of college for over a year are considered "college football players"

Players that play in bowl games during the 1st week will be contacted. Each team will make the arrangements for their players to report to camp.

Bowl games? Sounds like college kids to me.

The season will start in January 2009 and end in April 2009 (before the NFL draft). There will be playoff games and a championship game. Each division winner gets in the playoffs, and the two teams with the best record get a bye in the first round of the playoffs.

The timing of the league fits what I believed it was, another way for guys to raise their stock before the draft. There is an assumption by the league that it will help players, but it has the potential to hurt just as much.

The NFL has it's own free minor league:

It's called NCAA Football.

The league will never pony up the money and resources to start a minor league when the college game has been working so well for such a long time as its farm system. It's a bit unfair when leagues like the MLB have to do it, and it's a bit unfair to colleges who take academics seriously, but it makes them a lot of money.

It's kind of nice that everyone in the NFL gets most of a college education if not a degree. NFL players are more educated as a group than the players from all the other major leagues. It's definitely good for them because football careers can be so short that you have to have it to fall back on when you are done.

The system works well, it shouldn't be changed.

The German NFLE teams had significant followings. Hamburg actually came close to winning a sports marketing award for managing in three years to build up a nearly equal following to that of Frankfurt which had been around 15 years and played in 8 championships.

In the 1960's there was a minor football league called the Atlantic Coast Football League. The teams had a rough affiliation with some of the NFL teams. The Redskins had a team in Roanoke VA called the Roanoke Buckskins. There was a team in Richmond called the Richmond RoadRunners/Saints and they were affiliated with the New Orleans Saints. The most famous team in the league was probably the Pottstown Firebirds (NFL Flims did a story on them > http://www.tv.com/lost-treasures-of-nfl-films/pottstown-revisited/episode/307727/summary.html).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Coast_Football_League

http://www.pottstownfirebirds.com/ACFL%20football/Atlantic%20Coast%20Football/Franchises.htm << Shows team affiliations

BTW, I went to elementary school in Richmond with the son of the Richmond Coach (JD Roberts). Despite having a horrible team in Richmond, Roberts was hired as the coach of the New Orleans Saints. He went 7-25-3 before he was fired. He was their coach when Dempsey kicked his 63 yarder.

>>

Speaking of which, Tom Dempsey tells a funny story about that kick. With three seconds left, the Saints down by a point or two, and special-teams coach saying "Let's kick," J.D. Roberts thought they were going to punt. The special-teams coach had to tell him, "No, field goal!"

We tried with NFLE. Didn't work. The colleges won't like that here, plus the league would have to be self-sustaining financially. Arena didn't work well, and the other league is on hold for lack of interest. Don't think it will happen, but I'd probably go to a few games. I would like some type of off season football. Instead, I'm stuck here on ES.

Archived