Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ones that Got Away

PlayAction

We know who the Skins picked. But it's interested to see what happened to the Skins' fan favorites that got away:

Jordy Nelson WR (5th pick in 2nd round) - Wow, he went high. Picked by WCO Green Bay shortly after the Skins took WR Devin Thomas.

Trevor Laws DT (16th pick in 2nd round) - Eagles picked him for their 4:3 defense one spot before Skins picked TE Fred Davis. I hate them.

Tyvon Branch CB (1st pick 4th round) - The only way the Skins would have gotten this guy is to pass on OG Chad Rinehart. No way.

Kory Lichtensteiger C (9th pick 4th round) - picked up by Denver another WCO team. Since Bugel knows a lot more about the OL than me I'm happy with his choice of OG Chad Rinehart.

Dre Moore DT (16th pick 4th round) - bummer. It was possible if the Skins used the pick for Justin Tryon and perhaps two of the 6ths (Colt Brennan QB and Kareem Moore S).

Xavier Adibi OLB (19th pick 4th round) - bummer

Frank Okam DT (16th pick in 5th round) - fell further than expected.

Roy Schuenig OG (22nd pick in 5th round) - fell further than expected. Would have been nice to get this guy. Would have been possible if the Skins traded down from the Justin Tryon pick.

Owen Schmitt FB (28th pick in 5th round) - goes to WCO Seattle. Bummer. Skins really didn't have any trade ammunition left at this point. But since the Skins already drafted 2WRs and a pass catching TE I think Skins would have had to cut a fan favorite (Sellers, Cartwright) to make room for Schmitt on the roster.

Peyton Hills FB (20th pick in 7th round) goes to WCO Denver. Bummer.

At least we know that WCO teams were targeting many of the same players mocked by Skins fans. The only pick that really kills me though is losing Trevor Laws to the Eagles. While the Skins arguably needed to upgrade TE I think the team would have been better overall with the infusion of young talent on the Dline. They beat us to it.

I would have been eccstatic to pick up Calais Campbell with our Kelly pick (Campbell was taken 1 spot prior)...

and then get Marcus Monk in a later round. Dam Bears took him... waste of a WR, who's gonna get him the ball? :doh:

1) Devin Thomas

2) Calais Campbell

3) Jordy Nelson <(would have liked this, too bad GB took him)

I was hoping the Skins picked up Okam or Adibi (and I couldn't understand why they didnt pick up Barrett)

and Monk in the 7th, damn the bears to hell imo.

Would be awesome to have 3 awesome receivers in a few years....

Kinda like what the Bengals had CJ, TJ, Chris Henry.

I really hope we develope our UDFA into starters.

Kerry Brown looks like a great pick up, I hope its true that he can become a pro-bowler...

Owen Schmitt FB (28th pick in 5th round) - goes to WCO Seattle. Bummer. Skins really didn't have any trade ammunition left at this point. But since the Skins already drafted 2WRs and a pass catching TE I think Skins would have had to cut a fan favorite (Sellers, Cartwright) to make room for Schmitt on the roster.

not having trade ammunition is a nice way to put it. but schmitt was there when we made our final trade. we traded back, and drafted a ****ing punter.

not having trade ammunition is a nice way to put it. but schmitt was there when we made our final trade. we traded back, and drafted a ****ing punter.

You are hating on drafting the punter but that is key for our defense. This guy is mentored by Ray Guy ... and is a boomer.

I can recall so many times last year where Derrick Frost stepped on to the field, shanked the ball 25-30 yards and gave the opposing offense great field position.

Our defense comes out, plays great, and their team still gets 3 points because of field position.

With this guy, we have a monster leg for a long time coming.

Never mind your a WVU fan I see you wanted your boy.

i definitely wanted him. i wasn't in the "use a 3rd rounder on schmitt" camp, but getting him in the 5th was a steal for seattle. wish it would have been us.

You are hating on drafting the punter but that is key for our defense. This guy is mentored by Ray Guy ... and is a boomer.

I can recall so many times last year where Derrick Frost stepped on to the field, shanked the ball 25-30 yards and gave the opposing offense great field position.

Our defense comes out, plays great, and their team still gets 3 points because of field position.

frost was decent last year. we'll see if the new guy can beat him out. usually, rookie punters and kickers must win the battle decidedly. the edge is definitely given to the vet.

also, i hear this guy can boom the ball. that's not usually the most important aspect. does he get good hang time? is he a good directional kicker? i don't know. i do know we missed out on one bad mofo in the 5th.

i definitely wanted him. i wasn't in the "use a 3rd rounder on schmitt" camp, but getting him in the 5th was a steal for seattle. wish it would have been us.

I'm actually glad we didnt get OS. You and PB would have polluted the board with gheyness and man-crush posts for the next 5 years :laugh:

frost was decent last year. we'll see if the new guy can beat him out. usually, rookie punters and kickers must win the battle decidedly. the edge is definitely given to the vet.

also, i hear this guy can boom the ball. that's not usually the most important aspect. does he get good hang time? is he a good directional kicker? i don't know. i do know we missed out on one bad mofo in the 5th.

i read in a scouting report that he is very good with directional punting to both his left and right.

and for the hang time. he averaged around 49 yards/punt. and around 44.5 net yards/punt. so i think he gets good hang time by only giving up around 5 return yards per punt. combine that with his distance (i think 30 of 58 punts were 50+ yards), and we got a good pick.

Roy Schuenig OG (22nd pick in 5th round) - fell further than expected. Would have been nice to get this guy. Would have been possible if the Skins traded down from the Justin Tryon pick.

Actually he was selected with one of the picks we shipped to STL in exchange for two 6th rd picks, so they could have had them if they wanted him. Obviously they coveted others more, or didn't perceive that as the right spot to select him,

I would have liked OS, just from his film got to love the attitude and ability.

That being said the P we took was a great pick up. Check his stats and highlights. Big kicks that go high with accuracy. Can't ask for more than that from a kid out of college.

The equation for punt coverage is time/distance with time being time the ball is in the air and distance is how far your coverage team can get up field in that time. If your guys arrive at the PR the same time as the ball the only option is a fair catch.

We now have a rash of kick returners all looking for a spot on our roster via their STs production and a guy who can kick long and high. I expect a scenario pretty much along the lines of:

Ball gets hoofed

Coverage team runs up field

Coverage and PR have a cup of tea and discuss share options

Fair catch with us 50 yards further away from our EZ than when the play started

Punters aren't sexy picks but if we handle it the right way we are set for 15 years of c50 yard averages when kicking from deep. That could (and should) prove to be a big deal over the course of a career. Wherever we punt from at least a 1st down away from FG range.

After the first 3 picks no way were we drafting any O other than on the line so I knew Schmitt wasn't coming to us. Shame but he is among a bunch of guys who will have good careers elsewhere. We can only take a handful of the draftees, many of which really can play football ;)

The one guy I was disappointed the Skins didn't get was Craig Steltz (S - LSU). I thought he would have been a good third round selection, but the Bears got him 4 picks before the Skins 4th round selection. He's not the fastest guy out there. However, he's a good open field tackler with good instincts. :2cents:

i read in a scouting report that he is very good with directional punting to both his left and right.

and for the hang time. he averaged around 49 yards/punt. and around 44.5 net yards/punt. so i think he gets good hang time by only giving up around 5 return yards per punt. combine that with his distance (i think 30 of 58 punts were 50+ yards), and we got a good pick.

that sounds good. i hope he works out....but like i said, he'll have to decisively beat out frost.

I'm actually glad we didnt get OS. You and PB would have polluted the board with gheyness and man-crush posts for the next 5 years :laugh:

can't really argue that. had we drafted owen, he would have surpassed mike gansey on the man-luvin-meter.

We know who the Skins picked. But it's interested to see what happened to the Skins' fan favorites that got away:

Jordy Nelson WR (5th pick in 2nd round) - Wow, he went high. Picked by WCO Green Bay shortly after the Skins took WR Devin Thomas.

Thomas and Kelly are better WR's

Trevor Laws DT (16th pick in 2nd round) - Eagles picked him for their 4:3 defense one spot before Skins picked TE Fred Davis. I hate them.

Laws is a decent DT but not someone that would have had more overall value than Davis. If we were going to take any D-lineman in the 1st day, it would have been a DE not a DT.

Tyvon Branch CB (1st pick 4th round) - The only way the Skins would have gotten this guy is to pass on OG Chad Rinehart. No way.

Kory Lichtensteiger C (9th pick 4th round) - picked up by Denver another WCO team. Since Bugel knows a lot more about the OL than me I'm happy with his choice of OG Chad Rinehart.

We didnt need centers, we needed O-lineman that could play the Tackle or Guard position.

Dre Moore DT (16th pick 4th round) - bummer. It was possible if the Skins used the pick for Justin Tryon and perhaps two of the 6ths (Colt Brennan QB and Kareem Moore S).

Xavier Adibi OLB (19th pick 4th round) - bummer

Frank Okam DT (16th pick in 5th round) - fell further than expected.

Decisions that the FO made that we will never know why they had certain players ranked high/low.

Peyton Hills FB (20th pick in 7th round) goes to WCO Denver. Bummer.

Good lord with the FB manlove, especially Schmitt. Taking any FB after Davis in the 2nd would have been redundant.

Ray Guy should have been in the Hall Of Fame many years ago and I couldn't think of a better mentor for a punter!

I like to hear that our new P is a Ray Guy student! If he ends up close to Ray Guy, we are in great shape!!

Frost had the 32nd ranked punting average last year. Thats 32 as in last in the league. If the rookie cant beat him out then he will never make a roster.

Archived