Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Justin Tryon: comments and information (M.E.T.)

Baculus

LOL at you guys making judgements off of a few lines of scouting report. I think the coaches might know a bit more than us. I'm just glad we took a CB.

Even then at this point in the draft it's all a roll of the dice. It does make me laugh to see people getting upset (or overly excited) over picks like this. CB depth is definitely a need so hopefully the FO did their homework on him. Maybe he's the CB version of H.B. Blades.

From JLC:

Posted at 1:32 PM ET, 04/27/2008

Justin Tryin - Barely In The NFL, But Already All-Pro With The Media Schlubs

This kid is a keeper, folks, trust me. Just did our five minute conference call with the Skins most recent draft pick, and this corner is fired up and has the gift of gab. He's got All-NFL Quote Team written all over here. All the schlubs in here - well, all 8 of us who are here - were of one mind when he got off the phone - he's gotta be around here for a long time.

Tryon, who goes by JT, has no lack of confidence in his abilities as a corner, or returning kicks. "I am going to get you to the 50; anytime I catch the ball at least I'm going to get you to the 50."

Asked what the rookie will bring to the Skins, he said "I bring wisdom to the game. I bring heart to the game. I was made for this. I was made to play football. I was made for this ... This is all I can do." Despite being 5-foot-9, the brash kid said he's looking forward to playing the 6-foot-4 guys who catch balls for a living. "I love to compete, so I'm looking forward to guarding T.O. and Chad Johnson and stuff like that."

Asked if he was aware of the other corners already on the roster, Tryon said: "It really don't matter ... That's my spot to take."

This kid makes Fred Smoot look tongue-tied, and he sounds about 10-times ****ier than Carlos Rogers did when he drafted three years ago (that's saying something). Will be interesting to see how he meshes with the vets, but from this brief interchange with him the kid seems like a playful dude, someone who loves life and is clearly enjoying this, one of the biggest days of his life.

Look, you either like the pick based on position or not. You cant tell me you hate the guy for so N so reasons here... They just mentioned Jared Allen was drafted around the same pick... Point is, as Mayock said, you draft based on your schemes right now. Unless you watched every game you cant tell me you hate the pick or love the pick unless its based on not liking the position. We need a CB. I like it.

Agreed. Glad we addressed corner in the 4th round

I love the attitude. Players can't be timid in this league. I love that he's already pumped up to go against the top WR's in the league. His quotes put a huge smile on my face and I can't wait to see this kid man the nickel spot. He and Smoot should get along great.

Question posed on NFL.COM profile:

When you play Madden, what team do you use? Do you put yourself on the team?

I use the Dallas Cowboys. Thats my favorite team.

(Not only is this kid a ****y know it all who likes Deon Sanders, but his favorite team is Dallas. I say cut this kid now before he destroys us from within.) This is the pick that ruined a good draft.)

(Not only is this kid a ****y know it all who likes Deon Sanders, but his favorite team is Dallas. I say cut this kid now before he destroys us from within.) This is the pick that ruined a good draft.)

Why don't you retire from being a fan along with your screenname.

That'll work!

:doh:

Justin Tryon

CB, Arizona State War Room analysis

Strengths: Is a good athlete, and makes plays in all types of coverage. Enjoys bump-and-run coverage, delivering hard jams to receivers. Turns and runs with receivers with ease, staying physical throughout the route. When playing off the ball, reads the quarterback well and shows explosive closing burst to cut in front of receivers to break up or intercept passes. Is tough and competitive. Comes up quickly in run support, and is a willing tackler. Has experience as a return man; shows the acceleration, speed and elusiveness to be a good NFL returner.

Weaknesses: Is short, and struggles against tall receivers, especially in the red zone. Tends to get overaggressive when tackling, lunging at ballcarriers instead of wrapping up.

Bottom line: A number of NFL teams will remove Tryon from their draft boards because he is under 5-10. That said, a talented short cornerback is better than a mediocre tall one. At the East-West Shrine workouts, Tryon proved he has the tools to become a solid NFL starter. He first will need a couple years of seasoning as the nickel back and return man. Tryon reminds us of the Patriots' Ellis Hobbs.

Why do we always get these shorter CBs?

I saw him play twice, and I love what I've read. I don't care about the size deal I care about 3 things, how he looked on the field, particularly against some of the better receivers (good to excellent), is he fast enough and fluid enough in the hips to handle business at the next level (he is), and does he have the trademark corners attitude and confidence that the good one's usually have (he does). He's confident, fast, relatively smooth and was productive. The only major knocks I saw were in size, and ball skills, and the fact that he didn't have the greatest hands around.

In rounds 4-7 you're generally trying to find guys that can stick in this league, and if possible, as a bonus, can play quality special teams/find a way to contribute. Tryon can contribute and has the ability to play at the next level if he is determined to make it so. A good pick in my view, a few i liked more on the board, but certainly one of the better guys available when we picked here.

tryon is a good prospect. i expected him to go late rd 5 but i also thought he was underrated. his biggest knock is definitely that he is undersized but hes got a lot of talent. he could be a great nickle back down the road with rogers and smoot.

agreed. We just have to groom him well in the offseason.

Archived