Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Justin Tryon: comments and information (M.E.T.)

Baculus

What are you guys complaining about - we spent a high round pick on Carlos Rogers and he's been borderline capable (at best). I think corner is one of the hardest positions to project success/failure in the NFL. Size is nice, but its not as important in a CB as other factors.

Guy could be a hidden gem.

he sounds a lot like a smoot kind of guy. little small, but plays with a chip on his shoulder.

let's hope he doesn't break out that torpedo tackle that smoot used to do all the time.

That is what I was thinking. I will be good in coverage, and that is all we need.

The 5'9 is a little desieving. He is listed as 5'10 on many places, so reality is he is probably 5'9 3/4 or something. Still small, but not horrible.

watching his draft day video on youtube, they said his instincts arn't very good, but he has great recovery speed when he does get burned. The people on the draft video compared him a lot of Ellis Hobbes... lets hope he turns out that way.

He was the second strongest CB in the draft, and is faster than his 40 time shows (even when 4.4 is still a good time). I nervous about his instincts, and his tendancy to give up the big play. Lets see how this plays out though.

Make no mistake, Justin Tryon will give up some big plays. He's a gambler by nature, and he can get burned as a result. But this undersized corner plays with tons of heart and fire, and as you'll see on Draftguys TV, those qualities often give him the edge against bigger competition. Tryon's a mid-round cornerback who could develop into a Nathan Vasher type of player.

per draft guys tv

Justin Tryon

CB, Arizona State War Room analysis

Strengths: Is a good athlete, and makes plays in all types of coverage. Enjoys bump-and-run coverage, delivering hard jams to receivers. Turns and runs with receivers with ease, staying physical throughout the route. When playing off the ball, reads the quarterback well and shows explosive closing burst to cut in front of receivers to break up or intercept passes. Is tough and competitive. Comes up quickly in run support, and is a willing tackler. Has experience as a return man; shows the acceleration, speed and elusiveness to be a good NFL returner.

Weaknesses: Is short, and struggles against tall receivers, especially in the red zone. Tends to get overaggressive when tackling, lunging at ballcarriers instead of wrapping up.

Bottom line: A number of NFL teams will remove Tryon from their draft boards because he is under 5-10. That said, a talented short cornerback is better than a mediocre tall one. At the East-West Shrine workouts, Tryon proved he has the tools to become a solid NFL starter. He first will need a couple years of seasoning as the nickel back and return man. Tryon reminds us of the Patriots' Ellis Hobbs.

Why do we always get these shorter CBs?

LEODIS MCKELVIN is too small Buffalo messed up picking him in the first round at 11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since he is the same weight as Justin Tyron and only 3/4" of an inch taller :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: He's too slow since he is "0.03 of second slower than McKelvin". Some of you guys are funny. Truth is 99% of us never even saw this guy play to make judgement other than he's "too short".

Scouts.com had him rated a fifth round pick, but you have to remember we don't have a fifth round pick.

Seems like a decent pick to me. The only real knock being his size, but this is the late fourth round, what do you expect? This seems like more of an immediate need pick.

we do have a 5th rounder, we recieved it from tennessee in the trade earlier today

It says he is a sprint champion, and his bios and scout reports all say he is very fast. Helps if you read that stuff instead of simply looking at his 40 time.

I know another short, track star CB we took a gamble on drafted about 15 years ago.

Who?

Actually it was 25 years ago, but you get the point.

dgreenx.jpg

Archived