Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Justify Your Skins Mock Draft Here

elkabong82

I know, I know, another draft thread.

I figured with 1 week to go, everybody who is doing their mock draft for the Skins is, or is starting to, lock in their candidates for each round.

I've also noticed a lot of posters with Skins mocks in their signatures. Some of those mocks are interesting, and this thread is an opportunity for everyone to go at length as to why they think each candidate will get picked by us at their respective picks. This isn't for "wishlists", this is for mocks which are at least some-what accurate in terms of players that will be available at the specific Skins picks, or should be. In other words, this is for mocks of what you think the Skins WILL DO, not what you WANT them to do.

I feel this will give many a great opportunity to learn about some of the rookie class coming in to the NFL this season, as well as advanced insight on players who could very well be Redskins in a week.

Anyways, I will list mine. Feel free to annalyze it, feel free to put up your own.

Round 1: DE Phillip Merling, Clemson

At 6'5", 270 lbs, Merling can be the run stopping DE to replace Daniels.

At the 21st pick, in all likelihood the O-linemen worth taking in the first will be gone. The only decent candidate remaining will likely be Gosder Cherilous. He has upside, but scouting reports say he is likey a RT, that he is horrible on the left side, and prob. can't transition to guard. Hence he is not our guy. In accordance with the latest info, Merling appears to be the top choice. Kelly is probably going to slip to the 2nd round where the Skins apparently feel a couple fo good WRs can be had. I previosuly had Balmer here, as DT seemed to be a higher priority, and Balmer and Merling carry similar grades.

Round 2: WR, Jordy Nelson, Kansas State

The Skins finally get the big-bodied WR perfect for the SE in the WCO. 6'3", 217 lbs. Nelson was a stud at Kansas State. A playmaker who can go over the middle, but can also go deep. He will probably battle with Mix for the spot, and no offense to Mix, Jordy will win that battle. He can also contribute on special teams if need be, having a good performance in the return game in college. It isn't a neccessity, but it a bonus. Has great hands. Jordy can also line-up in the slot, which adds to his versatility. Some scouts project Jordy as a slot WR, but others have said he can play SE in a WCO as well. A lot of mocks have hyped this guy up, and Nelson does appear to be climbing up draft boards. He has been identified as a strong possibility for the Skins after his workout here left the Skins very impressed. The Skins have a lot of interest in Malcolm Kelly, but I think their decision to wait on him until the 2nd proves wrong, and Kelly gets taken by someone else earlier in the 2nd. It may seem like a reach here, but Nelson is high on the Skins board, making him the best WR at this point in the 2nd round, at least according to the Skins.

Round 3: DT Marcus Harrison, Arkansas

Big DT at 6'3", 310 lbs. Put up a 4.98 40. He is the big pocket collapser the Skins are looking for, and the latest news says the Skins have had several workouts with him, and the Skins are looking at him in the 3rd round.

Round 3 comp.: OT/OG Jeremy Zuttah, Rutgers

The Skins get the versatile OL they were looking for in this draft. Albert sadly was long gone by 21, and the Skins want a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round, as well as Harrison, but this comp. leaves them in great position to grab a guy who can reportedly play most any postion on the line. 6'4", 290 lbs, it seems Zuttah would be best as a OG/C in the NFL, but scouting reports say he has the ability to play tackle as well.

Round 5: CB Trae Williams, USF

The Skins solve their 4th problem, which is the injury concerns with the CBs. Rogers won't be ready at the start of the season, Springs is great but his injury history is a big concern. At this point you can't hope he'll play a full season. Smoot can finish a season, but he is at the point where you can't rely on a full 16 games from him. The Skins need someone to battle for the nickle spot. Torrence has promise, but he shouldn't be the only option at starter should Smoot or Springs go down, especially considering Eubanks or Westbrook, virtual unknowns, would then be the nickle.

At 5'10", 185 lbs, with a 4.39 40, Trae Williams has the speed to keep up with receivers. He put up 6 INTs in 7 games, and took 3 of them back for TDs. This guy could wind up being the dynamic, play-making CB we have been missing since Champ. I would imagine in 2 years, maybe less, that Smoot is the nickle, Carlos is still on his side, and Trae is the primary CB, replacing Springs, while also mirroring him in terms of play and ability. He was originally listed as a 4th round prospect, which is why I had the Skins grabbing him with their comp. However, some scouts have projected him as a 5th rounder too. If Trae Williams is gone by this point, I could see Jonathan Zenon out of LSU going here. 6'0", 176 lbs, 4.44 40. Similar to Trae Williams.

Round 6: OLB, Malik Jackson, Louisville

Cerrato has been quoted as saying, among other things, that the team is targeting a LBer in the late rounds. With Marcus being banged up, Rocky still recovering from injury, and Fletcher being 32, this seems like the right spot to take a LBer top groom into a future starter, sort of like what we are currently doing with Blades. Since Rocky has his spot locked down, and Blades seems to be the heir apparent to Fletcher, IMO that would signal the drafting of a future replacement for Washington. Jackson will be a WLB in the NFL most likely, and 6'2", 232 lbs, with a 4.48 40, Malik should be able to eventually handle the responsibilities Marcus curently has. His speed also will help in the coverage game too.

Round 7: C, Jordan Lipsey, UVA

The Skins couldn't get Branden Albert, but they do get a late-round steal in his teammate. The Skins need a back-up center, and at 6'3", 280 lbs, Lipsey could make a guard transition, should the team need it, and they are looking for versatile O-linemen. After this pick, the Skins back-ups on the O-line are Rachal, Heyer, Lipsey, Fabini, and Wade, with Alexander helping out too. That looks like a pretty good depth situation to me.

Round 7 comp: S, DJ Parker, VA Tech

Another local prospect. The need for safety has been overblown by many in the media who seem to have forgotten that Reed Doughty contributed greatly in the 4 game stretch that landed us in the playoffs. With Landry probably staying at FS, a harder position to fill than SS, and Fox at back-up, the team needs one more guy in there. Parker is 5'11", 190 lbs., and ran a 4.62 40. He has some concerns with coverage, but what do expect from a 7th rounder. Staying local should give Parker an extra incentive as well. The team has said they will look to draft LBer, safety, and QB late, and they will stick to that.

Round 7 comp.: QB, Nick Hill, Southern Illinois

At 6'3", 210 lbs, with an accurate arm, Zorn gets the 3rd QB, a prospect to groom into the potential future back-up for JC. Hill is a lefty, which will curry some favor as well with Zorn. Hill as a lot of upside, but him playing in DII has him flying under the radar. Smart and accurate, with a decent arm, all tools essentail in the WCO. His senoir year, Hill put up 258 of 361 passes (71.5%) for 3,175 yards. 28 TDs to only 7 INTs, He also rushed for 357 yards, so he can get out of the pocket if necessary. He put up 4 TDs rushing, which is an excellent advantage inside the 5.

* My first mock was 1st: OG Branden Albert/ 2nd: CB Patrick Lee/ 3rd: WR Jordy Nelson/ 3rd comp.: DT Frank Okam/ 5th: Wallace Gilberry/ 6th: OLB Malik Jackson/ 7th: OT Tyler Polombus/ 7th: C Jordan Lipsey/ 7th: QB Nick Hill

Round 3 comp.: CB, Jack Ikegwuono, Wisconsin

The Skins solve their 4th problem, which is the injury concerns with the CBs. Rogers won't be ready at the start of the season, Springs is great but his injury history is a big concern. At this point you can't hope he'll play a full season. Smoot can finish a season, but he is at the point where you can't rely on a full 16 games from him. The Skins need someone to battle for the nickle spot. Torrence has promise, but he shouldn't be the only option at starter should Smoot or Springs go down, especially considering Eubanks or Westbrook, virtual unknowns, would then be the nickle.

All of that highlighted in bold applies to Ikegwuono as well. He's coming off a major ACL tear/ MCL sprain that killed his knee. No need wasting a 3rd rounder on damaged goods. Plus, this guy is an idiot. Didn't he get arrested for trying to steal an Xbox?

Other than this pick, I like the rest. Rachel in the second could be a little early, but I like him as a prospect.

UPDATED !!! 4-20-08

1 Philip Merling DE Clemson 6'4 270

Well Merling will probably be the BPA for a need position. He’s top 10 talent with health issues. Excellent against the run Merling will compliment Andre Carters speed rush very well. With age and health a concern for Daniels expect Merling to be a starter by mid-season. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0tBbjSXMYQ

2 Jordy Nelson WR KSU 6'2 217

Jordy gives the Redskins a much needed large body on the field. Deceptively fast(ask Aqib Talib

) Nelson hauled in 122 catches last season for the Wild Cats.

3 Red Bryant DT Texas A&m 6'5 325

Kid can flat out stuff the run. In the 83 run plays he was on last year teams ran for 46 yards that’s 0.55 yards per attempt.I know the Redskins were looking for a pass rushing DT but Red will put the Red in Redskins(I try:doh: ). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY1D5bV0b-o and yes that was Adrian Petterson he ran down.

3 Jeremy Zuttah OG Rutgers 6'4 303

Zuttah has the ability to play all positions on the line. He will give the Redskins the young depth they’ve needed for about two years Started 28 straight games for Rutgers. Nasty attitude, finishes blocks..I think Jeremy will have to fall to this spot in order for the Skins to get him.

5 Corey Clark OT Texas A&M 6'6 313

3 year starter for the Aggies.Second team All Big-12,gave up only 2 sacks on 376 pass plays this season.

6 Durant Brooks P Georgia Tech 6'0 200

Ray Guy Award winner. Career average of 45.3 yards per punt.57 punts of 50 yards or longer. Frost sucks nuff said.

7 Cory Lynch SS Appalachian St. 6'0 206

Four year starter,excellent ball skills,very smart, nice range.His Stats come up on the vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMtV5oaKznI

7Darnell Terrell CB Missouri 6'2 200

Excellent ball skills didnt drop one pass at the combine.Teams are also looking at him as a wr.

7 Kyle Wright QB Miami 6'3 225

Nice arm, good size, can come in to camp and compete for the 3rd string job.

All of that highlighted in bold applies to Ikegwuono as well. He's coming off a major ACL tear/ MCL sprain that killed his knee. No need wasting a 3rd rounder on damaged goods. Plus, this guy is an idiot. Didn't he get arrested for trying to steal an Xbox?

Other than this pick, I like the rest. Rachel in the second could be a little early, but I like him as a prospect.

Thanks for the heads up. I had checked on his injury previously, and I didn't see before how long the expected recovery time was. He probably will miss most of the '08 season, so he obviously wouldn't be right for us, but a team who cn reach on him an wait. This also drives his stock down further than late 3rd, IMO.

With this in consideration, I change the 3rd round comp to:

CB Trae Williams, USF

At 5'10", 185 lbs, with a 4.39 40, Trae Williams has the speed to keep up with receivers. He put up 6 INTs in 7 games, and took 3 of them back for TDs. This guy could wind up being the dynamic, play-making CB we have been missing since Champ.

Elkabong...I think you're 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks are very realistic.

Here are my 1, 2, 3, and 3b picks...

1) P. Merling

We'd love Albert or C. Williams but they'll likely be gone. I don't see us going after the next best lineman, G. Cherilus.

D. Thomas and L. Sweed will merit consideration, but with this considered such a weak round 1 class at receiver (will one even get drafted in round 1?), I think we'll address the position in rounds 2 or 3.

Talib could be the choice. DRC and Jenkins should be gone.

Please no C. Campbell. I smell bust. Balmer will get a long look, but if Merling is there, he's our pick.

2) Sam Baker

With Albert and C. Williams off the board at #21 we take the best available option in round 2 in Baker, a guy who can play G or T.

3) J. Nelson

We get the big receiver we've been craving who should thrive in a WCO. I wouldn't be surprised to see us nab him in the 2nd if Baker is gone.

3b) BPA CB...C. Godfrey/D. Tribble/Z. Bowman/T. Branch

We need to add depth at corner, and if we don't take Talib in the 1st I see us addressing corner in the 3rd.

xx2portis6xx: Good mock, except I don't see us taking a S in the 2nd. From what I've heard from Cerrato, I think S is a 2nd day choice. You're right though, from everything I've read and seen on Margan, dude is a baller.

Red Bryant is a great choice, and it was between him and Frank Okam in my old mock.

Zuttah is great, and his versatility is a huge plus. I like Merling a lot, but IMO from what the Skins have said, DT is a higher priority. However, I could see Merling getting taken by us. Your late rounders are interesting, especially the WR, Johnson.

morpheus:

I like your picks as well. however, I don't think Baker is going to fall that far into the 2nd round. When I heard the Skins were looking at him, the first thing that struck my mind is he will be chosen if we trade down, in the early 2nd. Sucks those, cuz 21 is tooo high a pick for him, but 54 is too low. Still, I agree with OL in the 2nd obviosuly, as there will be good ones there. I've already said I like Merling in the 1st, of course I'm all for Nelson, If we trade down, our 2nd 2nd rounder (54) should be used to reach and lock Nelson up to avoid possibly losing him to someone else in the early 3rd.

I like the 3rd comp. choices, especially Tribble.

I think thats a pretty good mock. Wouldnt be surprised if it went down that way.

I'm still not a big fan of Balmer, but the more I think about it the more I realize he does fit the kind of mold that Blache seems to be looking for. And he probably will be available. I'd still like to go another direction, but I wouldnt be shocked if he was the pick.

I'm praying for Jordy Nelson in the third. I just cant get my hopes up too high though.

I like your picks 3-7.

Elka...

You're probably right about Baker. #21 is a little high for him, but he might not be there for us in the 2nd.

Agree with your trade down/Jordy idea. If we were to nab Atlanta's #34 and #37 for our #21, I think we will use one of our three 2nds on Jordy to avoid missing out on him in the 3rd.

I think we'll go DL, OL, WR, CB in rounds 1-4, but not necessarily in that order.

Elka...

You're probably right about Baker. #21 is a little high for him, but he might not be there for us in the 2nd.

Agree with your trade down/Jordy idea. If we were to nab Atlanta's #34 and #37 for our #21, I think we will use one of our three 2nds on Jordy to avoid missing out on him in the 3rd.

I think we'll go DL, OL, WR, CB in rounds 1-4, but not necessarily in that order.

It's rounds 1-3, but exactly. I can't see this team adressing any other 4 spots in the first 3 rounds other than DL, OL, WR, and CB. Those are the 4 pressing areas, and that, IMO, is what will be addressed in the 1st 3 rounds.

If the trade down scenario were to happen, which I would love for us to do, I think it would be ATL's first 2nd rounde, and their last, not #37 as the point value wouldn't be even then. If this were the case, I definitely would see us getting a guy like Nelson in the late 2nd to secure him and avoid someone taking him early in the third.

I gotta say I'm about as anti-Balmer as it gets. I really can't see how this guy is worth a first rounder. He's not a good pass rusher; he'll be more of a run stopping defensive tackle in the pros and we already have 2 or 3 of those by now. I see his pro career mirroring his college career. He's lazy and he won't perform unless it is a contract year. All things considered he has more downside than Calais and was never as dominant at his position as Calais was at his 2 years ago. Merling and Balmer are both players who had above average, but not spectacular, seasons and I don't think either one of them will pan out to be something special in the pros. My pick would be Calais if Albert isn't there. If not Calais then we grab a cb or wr.

1st round CB Aqib Talib : The more at this the more I think any direction we go here is going to be a gamble . I would prefer OG here like Albert but he is likely gone same with DRC . IF we can trade down I would go that way but it is a question of geting a trade partner . Talib has questions about his personality but football skills wise, recognition and open field ability makes him a good choice here . We might have a year of Springs left and not much more with Smoot and we have to plan ahead with CBs taking on average 3 yars to be effective . watching tape on Campbell just shows how slow he is sacks come late and he doesn't seem to play as big as his size . WR to me is an overblown need we just need a possession reciever and too me the top WRs aren't that. Sweed is a big guy but isn't someone that goes over the middle ...Balmer is a real reach for position.

2nd round Lawrence Jackson DE: He may not fall that far but he has a huge motor and plays to the whistle ... .. I want to take a OG or DL but the best are most likely gone or not really that good but represent how poor the DT class is...Sam Baker stands out as does someone like Balmer, Laws and maybe Dre Moore .. If Jackson doesn't fall this far it may be worth taking a gamble on Malcom Kelly who looks to be in free fall but could be the possession receiver we are looking for .. or maybe take an early shot at Jordy Nelson but he is most likely gone even at this point

3rd Round (a): Mike McGlynn OG : Blue chip guy really plays with a nasty streak could be a 10 year starter if not a star and could be the guy to step in for Kendell or Thomas . Another option would be Chilo Rachel but he needs time to develop...

3rd Round (B) : Ezara Butler OLB ... maybe a little early but the guy is quick and hits like a hammer and we need to retool the LBs soon with questions about Washingtons helath and McIntosh looks like he is destined for a short career . The second pick in the third round opens up so many options I would love Jordy Nelson to be around for either third round pick another option here would be an ultimate luxury pick in Owen Schmitt or snatch the best WR or DE left on the board some like Jerome Simpson ..

5th Round : Earnie Wheelwright WR: IF WR is not taken early Wheelwright could be the dependable big hands we are looking for ... he is quick and a red zone target ... Other options here would be frank Okam (DT) or DJ Hall (WR)

6th round : Cory Lynch (FS) Would be something of a steel here but is still flying under the radar ... Safety is not a spot of great need but behind the starters there is little depth ... other options would be warm bodies and real long shots to make it to training camp at this stage Tyson DeVree (TE) , Marcus Monk (WR) or a punt at DT/OL...

7th round ..... we have three picks in the 7th round and I have no idea for any of them... I would look soley for special teams players here I think 3rd QB isn't a huge need but I bet we take one Probably before this point...but given the coaching staff we have then a developmental pick here may be the bses pick...

I'm praying for Jordy Nelson in the third. I just cant get my hopes up too high though.

Mayock moved Jordy up to his #5 WR available. I don't agree with a lot of what Mayock has, but it, sadly, adds to more skepticism as to Nelson being our 3rd round pick.

1 Philip Merling DE Clemson 6'4 270

2 DaJuan Morgan S NCSU 6' 200

3 Jordy Nelson WR KSU 6'2 217

3 Jeremy Zuttah OG Rutgers 6'3 294

5 Red Bryant DT Texas A&m 6'5 325

6 Darnell Terrell CB Missouri 6'2 200

7 Steve Johnson WR Kentucky 6'2 204

7 Durant Brooks P Georgia Tech 6'0 200

7 Kyle Wright QB Miami 6'3 225

This is pretty solid except Brooks won't be around in the 7th. I'd rather see them grab a backup FB like Kregg Lumpkin.

One other 7th round QB option mentioned by poster MattAlkire who sounded and looked very interesting was Ryan O'hara, Central Oklahoma, 6-6 230.

Mayock moved Jordy up to his #5 WR available. I don't agree with a lot of what Mayock has, but it, sadly, adds to more skepticism as to Nelson being our 3rd round pick.
Unfortunately he is moving up most boards now. He will probably be gone by the late 2nd round.:(

I've been over my thoughts on the draft so much,my brain hurts...So my mock draft is going to be very unorthidox and really just a wild guess..

My prediction of the 2008 draft

---------------------------------

Redskins

#46 in 2nd round) WR Chad Johnson Bengals/DE Calais Campbell(The Redskins trade down to the Bengals pick here at #46 in the 2nd round and swap picks as the Bengals recieve the Redskins #21 pick in the 1st round in a trade for Chad Johnson)No other picks are involved in this deal as the 2 parties just wanted to get this deal done a soon as possible and move on...The value of the Redskins original pick was 800 points and the Bengals was 440 points...that's a difference in 360 points,which is a value of the #54th pick in the 2nd round)...So in short:the Redskins basically traded a second rounder to the bengals for Chad!But in making this trade and swap,no draft picks were actually gained or lost in this deal other than the swap!

#51 in 2nd round) OG/OT Sam Baker

#84 in 3rd round)QB Chad Henne

#96 in 3rd round comp)FB Owen Schmitt

#146 in 5th round)WR Marcus Monk

#177 in 6th round)CB Darnell Terrell(I actually like this pick portis6X)

#210 in 7th round)BPA...?

#242 and #249 will probably be camp fodder,but we may pick up a K or P in these selections...Probably won't matter regardless...

I've been over my thoughts on the draft so much,my brain hurts...So my mock draft is going to be very unorthidox and really just a wild guess..

My prediction of the 2008 draft

---------------------------------

Redskins

#46 in 2nd round) WR Chad Johnson Bengals/DE Calais Campbell(The Redskins trade down to the Bengals pick here at #46 in the 2nd round and swap picks as the Bengals recieve the Redskins #21 pick in the 1st round in a trade for Chad Johnson)No other picks are involved in this deal as the 2 parties just wanted to get this deal done a soon as possible and move on...The value of the Redskins original pick was 800 points and the Bengals was 440 points...that's a difference in 360 points,which is a value of the #54th pick in the 2nd round)...So in short:the Redskins basically traded a second rounder to the bengals for Chad!But in making this trade and swap,no draft picks were actually gained or lost in this deal other than the swap!

#51 in 2nd round) OG/OT Sam Baker

#84 in 3rd round)QB Chad Henne

#96 in 3rd round comp)FB Owen Schmitt

#146 in 5th round)WR Marcus Monk

#177 in 6th round)CB Darnell Terrell(I actually like this pick portis6X)

#210 in 7th round)BPA...?

#242 and #249 will probably be camp fodder,but we may pick up a K or P in these selections...Probably won't matter regardless...

There's no way we draft a QB, especially Henne in the 3rd round. The Skins have holes to fill and QB is not one of them for this upcoming season. The Henne pick is god awful, the Skins will most likely take a QB, but not until the 6th or 7th rounds.

I gotta say I'm about as anti-Balmer as it gets. I really can't see how this guy is worth a first rounder. He's not a good pass rusher; he'll be more of a run stopping defensive tackle in the pros and we already have 2 or 3 of those by now. I see his pro career mirroring his college career. He's lazy and he won't perform unless it is a contract year. All things considered he has more downside than Calais and was never as dominant at his position as Calais was at his 2 years ago. Merling and Balmer are both players who had above average, but not spectacular, seasons and I don't think either one of them will pan out to be something special in the pros. My pick would be Calais if Albert isn't there. If not Calais then we grab a cb or wr.

I agree. Balmer has nothing going for him but size. He doesn't get sacks, he doesn't get tackles, he's just mediocre.

I'm also extremely anti-DL in the 1st Round, but if we had to go DL in the 1st, I'd rather have Campbell than an extremely worthless DT like Balmer.

DE Calais Campbell, Awesome range... Awesome upside

WR Malcolm Kelly, I am still very high on Kelly.

OGRoy Schuening, I am hoping he`s here at this pick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxOYOzAyh7U

CB Antwaun Molden... Yeah, I said it. Could be best of the bunch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfsGgyDNyx8

DT Frank Okam, Great pick for the Skins.

http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/draftguys-tv/profile--frank-okam---dt?autoplay=true[/font]

ILB/DE Jameel McClain, Some project him around the 5th round and some project him as undrafted. I like him and wouldnt mind this pick if he`s there.

http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/draftguys-tv/profile---jameel-mcclain---lb?autoplay=true[/font]

C/G Fernando Valasco, Reach for some upsidehere.He can play all along the line.

WR Marcus Henry, Big and fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biXnh7QJkzA&feature=related

That`s my mock... And I`m stickin to it!

:point2sky

Jordy is in the 2nd round too in the mocks for both McShay and Kiper, if these guys are all on to something it might be a long shot to get him with our late round 2nd pick -- nevermind getting him with a late round third.

I am going to do mine on the premise that the ESN and NFL Network draft geeks are on to something and work under those guidlines.

1st round: There is a shot Talib or Jenkins fall here but I would bet against it, if one of them do fall it would be a tough choice for me between one of them and Philip Merling. I think there is a shot we draft Calais Campbell considering we have his old d line coach who brought the best out of him in his sophomore year.

I like Merling because like Tuck he can play inside, too. Has a non stop motor and is a well rounded DE.

Jared Mayo is intriguing - he reads as a young and more talented London Fletcher type and can play all three LB positions. LB is a position of strength but its fragile to injuries considering both Rocky and Marcus are injury prone.

2nd round: If Jordy Nelson is still here, I'd take him. If the draft geeks are right, about 50 50 chance he's still here. He's a possession WR who runs well after the catch and loves going up the middle.

If he's not there then Duane Brown OT. Kiper if I recall has him as the 5th highest rated OT. He's a very athletic OT who is likely going to be good at pulling and from what I've read can make the transition well to OG.

3rd round: With the first pick I'd take: Jason Jones -- he's a hybrid DT/DE, developing prospect with good strength and speed.

With the 2nd one I'd take Mike McGlyn if he's still there. Hardnose player, leader type who can play all positions on the line.

If both or one of these guys are gone I'd consider a CB if Chevis Jackson is still here or a Terrence Wheatley, both fast players and decent cover guys.

5th round: Hard to predict who is going to fall this far. If a talented projected lets say 3rd or 4th rounder drops here, I'd grab him. But since I got no clue who that player would be, I'll play it like everything goes according to the draft geeks.

Shawn Murphy OG is intriguing, 6-4 315, Kiper likes him, he's a former d player who converted to the line, he's still learning th position but has elite ability.

Chris Harrington -- a lunch pail type DE might be here. Major worker, plays with a lot of hustle, high character leader type of player.

There are a bunch of safeties that are grouped around the same place so there is a chance Griffin, Steltz, Barber or Demps fall here. None of them are regarded as full fledged studs but they sound good enough to provide some depth.

6th round. I'd love for one of the top punters to fall here. Either Mike Dragosvich or Durant Brooks.

Maybe we get lucky with a developmental LB who surprises like an HB Blades.

Someone like Thomas Williams, good athlete but without a lot of starting expereince.

7th round -- talented but developmental projects. It's too much of a crap shoot for me to even try to predict the 7th round.

]']I agree. Balmer has nothing going for him but size. He doesn't get sacks' date=' he doesn't get tackles, he's just mediocre.

I'm also extremely anti-DL in the 1st Round, but if we had to go DL in the 1st, I'd rather have Campbell than an extremely worthless DT like Balmer.[/quote']

He was kind of lazy his first couple years, but once Butch Davis got a hold of him Balmer started to produce. A lot of the laziness concerns are similar to what we heard about Montgomery. If the team can reach him, Balmer will use all that talent. Balmer has a lot of potential. He put up 59 tackles and 3.5 sacks his senior year, so I don't get where this mediocre comment is coming from. You admit you're anti-DL though, but like I said, this is who I think the Skins will get, not who I want them to get. Here's a link to Balmer's scout profile. He is a pocket-collapser, he simply needs to add some more weight, and show some more dedication. It seems like with Davis that a good coach can make Balmer produce.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/504454

I've already explained there probably won't be any quality OL worth taking at 21, same goes with WR (someone is going to take Sweed right before 21, sorry ghost). Talib is a good prospect at CB, and he will be the best CB available, but he doesn't strike me as the BPA among the players likely to be there at 21. I'd put Balmer and Merling ahead of him. Balmer has more upside than Merling. Calais has knocked himself out of the 1st round. Balmer has driven his stock up with prodays and workouts, while Calais has driven his stock down, so you tell me who has more upside at this point.

1: Kentwan Balmer DT. Fits Greg Blache's scheme, he can make the position deeper step in for Griffin and will work well with Montgomery.

2: Jordy Nelson WR. Hopefully, Cerrato can trade down a few spots to make this pick. He fits the scheme and management loves him.

3: John Greco OG/OT. Will likely play guard, but can come in right away.

3 comp: Brian Johnston DE. Small-school guy that was very productive and had a good Hula bowl. Should provide depth at the worst.

4: David Roach SS. Should be able to play well in the box while Landry patrols center field.

5: Trae Williams CB. Ballhawk who played across Mike Jenkins at South Florida, can step in for a few games and he should be a good nickelback after Rogers returns.

6: Thomas Williams OLB. Didn't start in a loaded front 7 for USC but can be one of those surprises.

7: Marcus Henry WR. Big guy, can be a red-zone target.

7 comp: Andrew Bain OG. Depth pick, good run-blocker.

7 comp: Kevin Mitchell SS. Hits hard and should play on special teams.

1: Kentwan Balmer DT. Fits Greg Blache's scheme, he can make the position deeper step in for Griffin and will work well with Montgomery.

2: Jordy Nelson WR. Hopefully, Cerrato can trade down a few spots to make this pick. He fits the scheme and management loves him.

3: John Greco OG/OT. Will likely play guard, but can come in right away.

3 comp: Brian Johnston DE. Small-school guy that was very productive and had a good Hula bowl. Should provide depth at the worst.

4: David Roach SS. Should be able to play well in the box while Landry patrols center field.

5: Trae Williams CB. Ballhawk who played across Mike Jenkins at South Florida, can step in for a few games and he should be a good nickelback after Rogers returns.

6: Thomas Williams OLB. Didn't start in a loaded front 7 for USC but can be one of those surprises.

7: Marcus Henry WR. Big guy, can be a red-zone target.

7 comp: Andrew Bain OG. Depth pick, good run-blocker.

7 comp: Kevin Mitchell SS. Hits hard and should play on special teams.

Good mock. I like Brian Johnston, he was one of the mid-round DEs I was looking at for the Skins. We don't have a 4th rounder though, and Trae Williams is projected as an early 4th rounder, possibly late 3rd rounder. Still though, I would pleased if we brought in this class of rookies. I still think Nelson will be around in the 3rd, but it is looking more and more like he really will be gone by the time we pick. In this case, I still say we wait until the 3rd round to address receiver, because there aren't many WRs who fit the mold we are looking for that are worth a 2nd rounder.

Good mock. I like Brian Johnston, he was one of the mid-round DEs I was looking at for the Skins. We don't have a 4th rounder though, and Trae Williams is projected as an early 4th rounder, possibly late 3rd rounder. Still though, I would pleased if we brought in this class of rookies. I still think Nelson will be around in the 3rd, but it is looking more and more like he really will be gone by the time we pick. In this case, I still say we wait until the 3rd round to address receiver, because there aren't many WRs who fit the mold we are looking for that are worth a 2nd rounder.
The 4th rounder was put in there if they trade down to the end of the second round or beginning of the third round. Trae Williams has a lot of mixed opinions, so he may not be there, but there are other cornerbacks.

Ok, I`m going give a go. I have stated in other posts that my desire is to trade down, my target is pick #34 currently held by Atlanta. How do I get there? Well I use this site as my information source (see link)

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/

It is a pay site, $24.95 for one year and well worth it IMO. According to their info two teams that may be interested in trading up picking after #21 and before #31 are the Jacksonville Jaguars #26 and the Green Bay Packers #30. I have scenarios for trades covering both cases, but here I will use a trade down with Green Bay because I believe it has the best chance of getting me down the #34.

Our pick #21 has a value of 800 pts. Green Bays #30 value of 620 pts.

Difference= 180 pts.

Trade proposal= Our #21 For Their #91 136 pts. #128 44 pts.

Balance= 0

A fair even trade for both teams pt. value wise. If this goes though then I can proceed to part 2 in order to get to #34.

Our pick is now #30 value 620 pts. Atlanta`s #34 value 560 pts.

Difference= 60 pts.

Trade proposal= Our #30 For Their #103 value 88 pts.

Balance= +22 pts. in our favor.

Again a very fair trade because Atlanta most likely makes this move to select a QB.

OK, I`m at my target #34 if this dream of mine comes true and this is what I`ve done in respect to where we were.

Current Picks= #21,#51,#84,#96,#154,#186,#228,#242 and #249 Total 9 picks.

After Trades= #34,#51,#84,#91,#96,#103,#128,#154,#186,#228,#242 and #249 Total 12 picks.

Now Here My Draft:

#34 Trevor Laws DT

#51 Jordy Nelson WR

#84 Mike McGlynn OG/OT/C

#91 Josh Barrett SS/OLB

#96 Byran Kehl OLB

#103 Brian Johnston DE

#128 Chad Rinehart OG/OT

#154 Darnell Terrell CB/FS/WR

#184 Kevin O`Connell QB or Carl Stewart FB

#228 Chaz Schilens WR

#242 Matt Flynn QB or Shannon Boatman OT

#249 Thomas Williams ILB/OLB

Well there it is.......I did not include links because the site I use is copyrighted and besides we all have sources that we trust in or like more than others. I put in few alternates in my last 5 selections just because it get`s pretty iffy that late, the first 7 selections I believe are slotted very well in respect to value.

Thanks to all who have endured or enjoyed this epic post.

:cheers:

Archived