Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Justify Your Skins Mock Draft Here

elkabong82

He was kind of lazy his first couple years, but once Butch Davis got a hold of him Balmer started to produce. A lot of the laziness concerns are similar to what we heard about Montgomery. If the team can reach him, Balmer will use all that talent. Balmer has a lot of potential. He put up 59 tackles and 3.5 sacks his senior year, so I don't get where this mediocre comment is coming from. You admit you're anti-DL though, but like I said, this is who I think the Skins will get, not who I want them to get. Here's a link to Balmer's scout profile. He is a pocket-collapser, he simply needs to add some more weight, and show some more dedication. It seems like with Davis that a good coach can make Balmer produce.

Calais has knocked himself out of the 1st round. Balmer has driven his stock up with prodays and workouts, while Calais has driven his stock down, so you tell me who has more upside at this point.

Calais has had bad workouts, that's true, but you can't tell me running a 5.3 is an excellent time for a DT. Also, 3.5 sacks is NOT a high amount of sacks for a DT. He had an above average season, not a great one, not a mediocre one. The tackle amount was fine, like I said earlier he's going to be ok at run stopping.

And you like to say it was Butch Davis who changed him. What if it was the fact it was his last year and he needed a solid season to even be considered for the draft? Was this guy even projected to be drafted at the start of the year?! Like I said, I won't be surprised if he only shows up during contract years. Overall I'd rather we "reached" for a 2nd round DT with our 1st rounder than picked up Balmer.

:cheers: :notworthy bravo skinssyco, I am not worthy. That would actually be a nice draft.My mock was on a wing and a prayer, but your's was very well thought out.

Thanks for the props......Yours isn`t bad at all. Merling is the only question due to reports of his sports hernia which may cause him to drop. As for me I just love GM`s that look to trade down, to me it cost less and gives you more to work with. Maybe Vinny will susprise me...Hope,Hope:)

:cheers:

Here is my quick look at who is available and who I think we should choose. :logo: :logo:

1st Round:

WR Limas Sweed-Texas

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/wr/limassweed.html

2nd Round:

DE Lawrence Jackson-USC

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/lawrencejackson.html

3rd Round:

LB Cliff Avril-Purdue

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/cliffavril.html

*3rd Round:

CB Justin King-Penn St

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/justinking.html

5th Round:

OT Barry Richardson-Clemson

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/barryrichardson.html

6th Round:

S Dominique Barber-Minnesota

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/s/dominiquebarber.html

7th Round:

OG Adam Kraus-Michigan

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/og/adamkraus.html

*7th Round

LB Durell Mapp-UNC

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/durellmapp.html

*7th Round

QB T.C. Ostrander-Stanford

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/qb/tcostrander.html

Calais has had bad workouts, that's true, but you can't tell me running a 5.3 is an excellent time for a DT. Also, 3.5 sacks is NOT a high amount of sacks for a DT. He had an above average season, not a great one, not a mediocre one. The tackle amount was fine, like I said earlier he's going to be ok at run stopping.

And you like to say it was Butch Davis who changed him. What if it was the fact it was his last year and he needed a solid season to even be considered for the draft? Was this guy even projected to be drafted at the start of the year?! Like I said, I won't be surprised if he only shows up during contract years. Overall I'd rather we "reached" for a 2nd round DT with our 1st rounder than picked up Balmer.

Dorsey, the top DT in the draft, ran a 5.12 40, Balmer a 5.28. I am not seeing a huge difference there. Dorsey has also been slated with "taking plays off". However, this is something a lot of the big guys do, I th nik because of their size and age. Dorsey had 69 tackles, 7 sacks his senior year, so it seems to me Balmer isn't that far off, from a statictical standpoint anyway.

Whether it was good coaching or playing better because it was his last year is up to speculation. However, after his senior year, Balmer was initially considered a 2nd rounder. He has been doing well in prodays and workouts and interviews, which has risen his stock up to a low 1st rounder. Of course it is still speculative whether this dedication is solely to rise his stock, or if it is him turning over a new leaf. I see us take guys like Montgomery though, and reach them, make them dedicate themselves, and this, coupled with DT being named a priority by Cerrato, and BPA among the players most likely to be around, is why I think the Skins wind up taking Balmer, IF they stay at 21.

It is no secret we want to trade down, and if either ATL or BAL skips on QB early, they could be suitors to trade, netting us an early 2nd and 3rd, or an early 2nd and late 2nd. If this were the case, I'd see us taking OT Sam Baker in the early 2nd, and DT Dre Moore in the later 2nd. The other 2nd or early 3rd would prob. be for Nelson, our 3rd would be for CB probably, and the comp. pick would be either OL or DL, IMO. Or maybe Scmitt, the FB out of WVU. With that many early picks, the team could make that reach with the comp. especially since FB is an important role in a WCO. However, I don't think it is likely we draft a FB. Just a bit of wishful thinking.

Draft day trade with Atlanta - Skins trade their 1st round pick, #21 to Atlanta for their 2nd round pick, #34 and Atlanta’s 3rd round pick, #68. This due to Brandon Albert being long gone before we pick at #21.

OT - Gosder Cherilus (2nd round from Atlanta)

CB - Tracy Porter (2nd round)

WR - Malcolm Kelly (3rd round from Atlanta)

DT - Dre Moore (3rd round)

S - Josh Barrett (3rd round compensatory pick)

DE - Kendall Langford (5th round)

OT - Geoff Schwartz (6th round)

QB - Ricky Santos (7th round)

P - Benjamin Dato (7th round compensatory) can also KO

FB - Jehuu Caulcrick(7th round compensatory)

We are showing alot of interest in Jerod Mayo from Tennessee. It wouldn't surprise me if he is still there at #21 with Rocky M. having concerns with his knees, if we picked him as the BPA with our pick. I hope we go in another direction such as trading down, but this may be something to watch for.

We are showing alot of interest in Jerod Mayo from Tennessee. It wouldn't surprise me if he is still there at #21 with Rocky M. having concerns with his knees, if we picked him as the BPA with our pick. I hope we go in another direction such as trading down, but this may be something to watch for.

You still dont have a LB in your updated draft? I think we should at least use the 2 or one of the threes on a LB.

With this in consideration, I change the 3rd round comp to:

CB Trae Williams, USF

At 5'10", 185 lbs, with a 4.39 40, Trae Williams has the speed to keep up with receivers. He put up 6 INTs in 7 games, and took 3 of them back for TDs. This guy could wind up being the dynamic, play-making CB we have been missing since Champ.

i'd be interested in antwaun moulden with this pick as well, and apparently the skins have talked to him, no link but if you do a little research you can find it.

he's got the works, just needs to get tougher, smoot and springs could show him a thing or two, but his technique looks sound.

I just bumped this thread to 5 stars. Why you asked? Because with the draft just 7 days away you would think that ES members would be posting there thoughts in depth as to how and what, along who they would like to see as future Redskins. Instead most waste there time posting on FA`s and malcontents such as Chad Johnson, which may be why our FO has done such a poor job, if in fact they do have people reading this board. This Forum could really be great if more members actually read threads such as this then expressed their ideas and given the fact that you have powerful resource at your fingertips even if you don`t know **** there is no excuse for one not to be able to put together a creditable intelligent post. :2cents:

Thanks elkabong, your thread deserves better than it has recieved.

I just bumped this thread to 5 stars. Why you asked? Because with the draft just 7 days away you would think that ES members would be posting there thoughts in depth as to how and what, along who they would like to see as future Redskins. Instead most waste there time posting on FA`s and malcontents such as Chad Johnson, which may be why our FO has done such a poor job, if in fact they do have people reading this board. This Forum could really be great if more members actually read threads such as this then expressed their ideas and given the fact that you have powerful resource at your fingertips even if you don`t know **** there is no excuse for one not to be able to put together a creditable intelligent post. :2cents:

Thanks elkabong, your thread deserves better than it has recieved.

I agree, I was wondering why there havent been more posts on this thread.Probably because theres only 20 threads like this,but this thread ranks at the top.:cheers: elkabong

With this in consideration, I change the 3rd round comp to:

CB Trae Williams, USF

At 5'10", 185 lbs, with a 4.39 40, Trae Williams has the speed to keep up with receivers. He put up 6 INTs in 7 games, and took 3 of them back for TDs. This guy could wind up being the dynamic, play-making CB we have been missing since Champ.

i'd be interested in antwaun moulden with this pick as well, and apparently the skins have talked to him, no link but if you do a little research you can find it.

he's got the works, just needs to get tougher, smoot and springs could show him a thing or two, but his technique looks sound.

He has some concerns with coverage, but he could be an excellent pick with the comp. also. I like his size and speed, and physicality is a plus too. Here's a link to his scouting info:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=73849

I agree, I was wondering why there havent been more posts on this thread.Probably because theres only 20 threads like this,but this thread ranks at the top.:cheers: elkabong

Thanks to you and SkinsSyco for the kind words. I'm glad you guys, and others in here, picked up on the goal of this thread.

I think the relatively low number of responses is due to 2 things.

1) There has been a very low number of people on here over the weekend thus far. I find this odd though, as the draft is 1 week away, and news is still coming out about various prospects we are looking at. It is also odd because we have 9 picks this year, which means we are going to have the largest rookie class joining the team in like a decade. Only 1-3 of them could be starters this season, but some of these guys could/will be future stars for our team. I'm geared up for this draft and investing more time in it than I ever have before because of how many picks we have.

2) I honestly think the level of involvement this requires is too much for some. This site sees a lot of "fly-by" posters, and people who seem like they never want to go in depth on anything. There are also a lot of "reactionary" posters. People you won't see here until some bit of breaking news happens and everyone is flocking to it like piranhas in a feeding frenzy. In other words, as sad as it sounds, there are some in here who just aren't interested in stuff like this, and won't be until the day of the draft. Then they'll come on here, and many will criticize these new players with ill-informed, reactionary opinions when they had the opportunity the whole time before the draft to learn about some of these guys.

Last season, many on here were talking about HB Blades. Those of us who took the time to read up on him, and Buster Davis among others, got advanced knowledge of him, and knew what to expect as far as weaknesses and strengths, as well as an understanding of the reasons why said player was chosen. I am hoping this thread will last throughout the weekend so it can get some serious looks on Monday when more people are on here.

Thanks to you and SkinsSyco for the kind words. I'm glad you guys, and others in here, picked up on the goal of this thread.

I think the relatively low number of responses is due to 2 things.

1) There has been a very low number of people on here over the weekend thus far. I find this odd though, as the draft is 1 week away, and news is still coming out about various prospects we are looking at. It is also odd because we have 9 picks this year, which means we are going to have the largest rookie class joining the team in like a decade. Only 1-3 of them could be starters this season, but some of these guys could/will be future stars for our team. I'm geared up for this draft and investing more time in it than I ever have before because of how many picks we have.

2) I honestly think the level of involvement this requires is too much for some. This site sees a lot of "fly-by" posters, and people who seem like they never want to go in depth on anything. There are also a lot of "reactionary" posters. People you won't see here until some bit of breaking news happens and everyone is flocking to it like piranhas in a feeding frenzy. In other words, as sad as it sounds, there are some in here who just aren't interested in stuff like this, and won't be until the day of the draft. Then they'll come on here, and many will criticize these new players with ill-informed, reactionary opinions when they had the opportunity the whole time before the draft to learn about some of these guys.

Last season, many on here were talking about HB Blades. Those of us who took the time to read up on him, and Buster Davis among others, got advanced knowledge of him, and knew what to expect as far as weaknesses and strengths, as well as an understanding of the reasons why said player was chosen. I am hoping this thread will last throughout the weekend so it can get some serious looks on Monday when more people are on here.

Your reply shows that you and xX2PORTIS6Xx are in fact creditable and intelligent ES members. Both of you have made my favorites list as a result of your due diligence.:)

Edit: It will last cause I`m going to bump it all the way. Bank on it!

2 DaJuan Morgan S NCSU 6' 200

This kid can flat out ball. Excellent range, had 82 tackles last season. Love his mentality, reminds me of LL when he’s on the field he plays pissed off. Excellent vs the run..Wont start as fast as LL did, but will give Reed a run for his money.

i def. wanna see him in B&G. kid reminds me of ray lewis only at safety. plays with great intensity & emotions. 2 key things every player need

i def. wanna see him in B&G. kid reminds me of ray lewis only at safety. plays with great intensity & emotions. 2 key things every player need
I love this kid as a safety,I will probably be a fan of his as long as he doesnt get drafted by the Cowboys, Eagles or Giants. Redskins fan first, football fan second.

You still dont have a LB in your updated draft? I think we should at least use the 2 or one of the threes on a LB.

Thanks for your response. I don't think we will go this route personally, but you never know. We have more pressing needs than a LB, IMO. I think we can get by this year with what we have and use next year to draft a LB.

Here's a trade scenario I've been working on:

Obviously the only way we trade down is if there is a player on the board at 21 whom some other team really wants and is willing to trade up to get. None of the WRs projected in the 1st will merit this trade, same with OL, same with DL. RB is a possibility, but I doubt that would happen given that regular RBs are a "dime a dozen" in the NFL right now. CB is a possibility. Talib could merit attention from lower 1st round teams like the Packers and Giants, especially since Dallas is right after us, and is looking to add someone to their secondary. However, CB is deep in the 2nd, and I think it goes the same route as OL and DL, where teams would rather wait until the 2nd than trade up.

So, IMO, the position that likely is going to merit a trade up is QB. Either Miami or Baltimore is taking Matt Ryan. This leaves Joe Flacco and Brian Brohm, after that the class drops to 3rd round talent. Miami has the luxury of being able to wait, unless they're sold completely on 1 of those QBs over the other. In all likelihood, only 1 team, not 2, is going to trade into the lower 1st to grab a QB. Baltimore needs a QB, they can't rely on Boller. Atlanta needs a QB, they can't rely on Harrington. Atlanta, however, has a bevy of 2nd round picks, and a bunch of needs. With the 3rd pick I can see Atlanta going BPA, and looking to grab Brohm who at one time was considered to be a top 10 pick like Ryan. Atlanta has the advantage over Miami in trading ahead to get either Brohm or Flacco given their 2nd rounders, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade with us making a move similar to what Cleveland did last year, as we are willing to trade down and 21 is a safe enough spot to where Miami likely can't trade up ahead.

Again though, it is always safe to assume your team will stay with their pick and make a selection, so this is purely hypothetical. If Matt Ryan were to be taken by Atlanta I would expect Baltimore to trade with us, giving up a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th, or a 2nd and nest years 1st. We have a good relationship with Baltimore, given that our teams hold scrimmages every year, so I think this would ease trade talks as well.

The trade, in my mind, would most likely be what many of us are hoping for, Skins 21st for Atlanta's 34th and 48th. Their 37th would give us too great of a points advantage.

So, with this trade, here is where I see the team going:

34: OT Sam Baker, USC

He has worked out for the Skins, and Buges likes him. He played tackle in college, but scouts say he can play guard on an NFL level, and transition to LT eventually.

48: DT Pat Sims, Auburn

Big guy at 6'4", 315 lbs, he put up a 5.11 40. He is a run stuffer, but more importantly can collapse the pocket with his size.

51: WR Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma

6'4", 220, 4.5 40. Great speed for his size, but does have some injury concerns. However, with 3 picks in the 2nd round, and still 2 waiting in the 3rd, I think the Skins will feel pressure to solve their WR problem and go with a risk based on this guys potential. Kelly is perfect for the Split End WR role in the WCO. Big, physical, excellent jumper, not afraid to go over the midle. His injuries are a concern though, but again this is a risk vs. reward pick.

3rd: DE Chris Ellis, VA Tech

The Skins appease the majority of the fanbase by drafting a DE, and a local prospect to boot. 6'5", 258 lbs, 4.65 40. He struggles a bit on the run, but excels at rushing the passer. I see the Skins working on him with run-stopping, but working him in slowly, at first using Ellis in pass rush situations. With Griffin, Montgomery, and Sims rotating in the middle, Carter and Ellis should get plenty of opportunities.

3rd comp.: CB Trae Williams, USF

After the 2nd round there is some drop off as far as CBs are concened, which is why I see the Skins going with early 4th round prospect CB, such as Trae. I also like Antwaun Molden, as another poster here pointed out.

5th: WR Marcus Monk, Arkansas

6'6", 222 lbs, 4.55 40. Monk has potential, and IMO gets taken here simply as an insurance policy against Kelly.

6th: LB Malik Jackson, Louisville

7th: C Jordan Lipsey, UVA

7th comp.: S DJ Parker, VA Tech

7th comp.: QB Nick Hill, So. Ill.

* And thanks to evreyone who has participated thus far, and to the complements made. I appreciate it, and I too will be doing my best to keep this thread alive until draft day. As one poster poointed out, this will lessen the amount of mock draft threads that are made, as people can just put them in here. There will definitely be a lot more popping up in the days leading up to the draft.

Provided there is no trades. Here goes.

1.Chris Williams-T- I have him higher than Baker

2.James Hardy-WR- at 6'7 he would be hard to pass up

3.Frank Okam-DT- 6'4, 347lbs. a solid bull rusher. Got the same rap as Montgomery coming in.

3. (comp) Tavares Gooden-OLB- can play sam, mike, and will position. Could be the replacement for Marcus Washington down the line.

5. DJ Parker-FS- very smart player and can also play corner.

6. Marcus Dixon-LE-had some problems that were very well known. But, he plays smarts and is hungry to prove himself.

7.Robert Felton-very verstile OG/C

7(comp) Matt Flynn-QB-Was pretty solid for the National Champions LSU. Flying under the radar could become a good backup

Now Here My Draft:

#34 Trevor Laws DT

#51 Jordy Nelson WR

#84 Mike McGlynn OG/OT/C

#91 Josh Barrett SS/OLB

#96 Byran Kehl OLB

#103 Brian Johnston DE

#128 Chad Rinehart OG/OT

#154 Darnell Terrell CB/FS/WR

#184 Kevin O`Connell QB or Carl Stewart FB

#228 Chaz Schilens WR

#242 Matt Flynn QB or Shannon Boatman OT

#249 Thomas Williams ILB/OLB

I love the thought you put into the trade scenarios. This would be one incredible draft for the Redskins.

I really enjoy seeing who people pick in the later rounds. I think you did a terrific job of meshing backup needs with players who fit the team. I could easily see players like Rinehart, Stewart and Williams becoming big contributors.

I must admit you had me on Schilens, I had no info on him. Other than CB you pretty much solidified the roster!!!:thumbsup:

Here's what I have: *Jordy moving into the second kinda throws things out of wack...

Round 1- Trade down to early second (I won't guess as to what picks we'll get because that's just wild guessing)

I think we'll take less value than the chart suggests because a team moving up for a QB can trade with any team around us. A pick in the 20s is as good as a pick in the 30s and early 40s IMO.

I think we move down for:

Calais Campbell

729181111.jpg

Round 2-

I really want Porter (CB) or Baker (OL) here, but I think we're interested in Nelson and we pull a slight reach here.

p1_nelson.jpg

Round 3-

With Rocky on the mend and Blades having to play out of position, we pick up an LB who can also pass rush. Marcus Washington's replacement. Last year our pick had almost THIRTY tackles for loss. That's third all-time in the big ten.

Shawn Crable

super-crable-man.jpg

246459349_84a0e787db.jpg

Round 3 (comp pick)-

Baker or Rachal would be no brainers here, but they are both long gone.

Duane Brown

1117097307_095dfe677f.jpg

Round 5-

Boom Bust pick here. If healthy this guy is a first-round talent. Elite corner at a bargain price.

Zack Bowman

nebraskax.jpg

Round 6-

We are without Lloyd, McCardell, and Caldwell. We take another flyer on a WR here.

Adrian Arrington

amd_notre_arrington.jpg

Round 7-

Looking for a developmental QB. This guy is accurate (71% career completion percentage), smart, hard working, good fit for west coast offense.

Nick Hill

un65zmyg.jpg

Round 7-

Need safety depth. Shot in the dark here.

Joe Fields

54c65ms2.jpg

Round 7-

Backup Center/Guard

Jamey Richard

Richard-261007FB-364w.jpg

#34 Trevor Laws DT

#51 Jordy Nelson WR

#84 Mike McGlynn OG/OT/C

#91 Josh Barrett SS/OLB

#96 Byran Kehl OLB

#103 Brian Johnston DE

#128 Chad Rinehart OG/OT

#154 Darnell Terrell CB/FS/WR

#184 Kevin O`Connell QB or Carl Stewart FB

#228 Chaz Schilens WR

#242 Matt Flynn QB or Shannon Boatman OT

#249 Thomas Williams ILB/OLB

Solid. I really like the Kevin O'Connell and Chaz Schilens picks. I had them in a mock on another site.

I never heard of Darnell Terrell and checked him out, i'm stealing this kid and claiming that i knew about him all along!:cheers:

One question though. A SS instead of a FS? Reed has Fox backing him up at SS but Landry has no backup. Why draft Barrett who is a SS?

Check out Corey Lynch:http://youtube.com/watch?v=AQZqkcubYjQ

Archived