Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Justify Your Skins Mock Draft Here

elkabong82

I knew this was coming... And actually the Pats QB coach was VERY high on Brady and stood on top of a table during the 6th round begging the Pats to draft him... Yeah, they waited until the 6th round to grab him but if they felt he would have been taken earlier they would have reached earlier on him... And he's a once in a generation type player... Come on. I'm not saying we SHOULD draft QB early... I'm just saying... I'd take Colt Brennan in the 6th round if it's true he's putting on weight and isn't a 185 pound stick figure... I think drafting a QB every draft is a smart idea... So many guys slip you should continue to bring guys in every year because you're always gonna have the Jordan Palmer's... And Jason Campbell isn't a "lock" to have a great career so if you're high on a guy and have an extra selection in a round you should go ahead and go for him... There's just a big a chance of Chad Henne being a bust as a D/O-lineman being a bust in the 3rd round...

I think what a couple of posters were saying is that it's doubtful we take a QB in the 1st 3 rounds because we have greater needs elsewhere. Most here will agree that our primary needs are OL, DL, WR, and CB...not necessarily in that order. While anything is possible, it's probable that we will address these areas before looking at selecting a QB.

I don't see how so many think that Phillip Merling deserves a first round grade and wanting us to pick him with our 1st round pick and this over Lima Sweed?

Phillip Merling only had one productive year. Merling is comming off a hernia that has kept him out of the NFL Combine and Clemson Pro Day. Yet alot still are reaching for this guy and most say that Lima doesn't deserve a first round grade. Lima produced every year and was injured his senior year and still produced 801yds; 17.4yd avg; and 12 TD. Lima went to his Pro Day and did very well making all the catches. This argument against Sweed baffles me.

Edit: I would still be happy if we picked Merling; but the whole no WR deserves a first round thing baffles me.

I knew this was coming... And actually the Pats QB coach was VERY high on Brady and stood on top of a table during the 6th round begging the Pats to draft him... Yeah, they waited until the 6th round to grab him but if they felt he would have been taken earlier they would have reached earlier on him... And he's a once in a generation type player... Come on. I'm not saying we SHOULD draft QB early... I'm just saying... I'd take Colt Brennan in the 6th round if it's true he's putting on weight and isn't a 185 pound stick figure... I think drafting a QB every draft is a smart idea... So many guys slip you should continue to bring guys in every year because you're always gonna have the Jordan Palmer's... And Jason Campbell isn't a "lock" to have a great career so if you're high on a guy and have an extra selection in a round you should go ahead and go for him... There's just a big a chance of Chad Henne being a bust as a D/O-lineman being a bust in the 3rd round...

I think you are exagerrating a bit on the Brady draft day ordeals, but anyways. The point about Tom Brady is that quality back-ups can be found in the later rounds. JC is the starter, TC is the back-up. A 3rd QB is not as pressing a need, which is why a 3rd rounder would be a waste on a QB for our team. Henne could be good, he could be a bust, that doesn't matter with us, as it's the 3rd round, and DL, OL, WR, and CB are more urgent needs than a 3rd string QB.

Very few, if any, posters in here have said taking a QB is a bad idea. Cerrato has said the team will be looking at a future back-up QB in the late rounds. The only problem most had was that you had the Skins taking a QB in the 3rd. Like I said, there are more pressing needs than a QB, which is why a 3rd rounder is too high.

If the Skins were high on a certain QB, I would understand a 5th rounder or later for a back-up QB, not a 3rd rounder, even if it is a comp., when OL, DL, WR, and CB all have bigger needs at depth and/or starter. Doesn't mean Chad Henne is bad, all it means is that our team probably isn't as high on him as you might think.

I think you are exagerrating a bit on the Brady draft day ordeals, but anyways. The point about Tom Brady is that quality back-ups can be found in the later rounds. JC is the starter, TC is the back-up. A 3rd QB is not as pressing a need, which is why a 3rd rounder would be a waste on a QB for our team. Henne could be good, he could be a bust, that doesn't matter with us, as it's the 3rd round, and DL, OL, WR, and CB are more urgent needs than a 3rd string QB.

Very few, if any, posters in here have said taking a QB is a bad idea. Cerrato has said the team will be looking at a future back-up QB in the late rounds. The only problem most had was that you had the Skins taking a QB in the 3rd. Like I said, there are more pressing needs than a QB, which is why a 3rd rounder is too high.

If the Skins were high on a certain QB, I would understand a 5th rounder or later for a back-up QB, not a 3rd rounder, even if it is a comp., when OL, DL, WR, and CB all have bigger needs at depth and/or starter. Doesn't mean Chad Henne is bad, all it means is that our team probably isn't as high on him as you might think.

Yep, according to Vinny, we'll take a QB late. I'm guessing 6th or 7th round.

The only scenario in which I could envision us taking a QB in the 1st 3 rounds is if we trade down and aquire a 5th pick in the 1st three arounds, AND we address OL, DL, CB, and WR 1st. e.g. 2) Laws, 2b) Jordy, 2c) Schuenberg, 3) Tribble, and 3) QB BPA. I think it's more likely that we would use the extra pick in a trade down scenario to pick up an extra OL or DL, though.

With Campbell's confidence being "shook" a bit by Collins performance last year, the team isn't going to take a QB high.

Zorn is a QB guru. He's going to look for someone who has the tools but maybe hasn't had the coaching.

Also, the coaching staff will want to use early picks on players that can help them now. A third string QB will not see the field this year. Players on the offensive and defensive line will play. So will a WR. So will a DB. They need to look out for their own livelihood and the best way to do that is to have high picks contributing on the field. Not only that, but we'd have to keep a high pick on the active roster because they would be plucked off the practice squad if we tried to stash them.

Mocks are interesting. For mine I picked players who I think we WILL take. But after the second round I started selecting players I WANTED us to take.

I know, I know, another draft thread.

MY REDSKINS DRAFT THOUGHTS

ROUND 1 (WR)

Devin Thomas/ Limas Sweed- We need a third WR. Both of these guys have the speed and size to be a true 'X' receiver in a WCO

ROUND 2 (DE)

Lawrence Jackson- Although our pass rush last year was decent last year (16th i think) Daniels is getting older and only had 2 sacks last year

ROUND 3 (DT)

Dre Moore- He has the physical tools to be a force; hopefully Griffin can hold up while Blache coaches em up

ROUND 3 comp (OL)

Mike McGlynn- the kind of versatile lineman that Bugel likes, can play all the line spots, a backup until one of our lineman undoubtedly goes down

ROUND 5 (LB)

Gary Guyton- with Godfrey gone and Rocky coming off knee surgery we could use insurance at LB and Guyton's numbers are impressive: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/gary-guyton?id=1722

ROUND 6 (DB)

Michael Grant CB/FS- Our secondary needs depth at CB and FS he could provide both: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/michael-grant?id=1716

He is raw but talented can we coach em up?

(I don't think we need a CB/FS early in the draft, i think Torrence showed he could play last year especially in his start against NY; I hear rumors that we would let Springs walk next year but why create a need where there isn't one? Dig a hole, fill a hole)

-Or plan on keeping Springs allow Eubanks and Westbrook to develop and address the FS depth with...

Corey Lynch FS/Nickel- Polished ball hawk safety, 'supersmart'

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AQZqkcubYjQ

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/corey-lynch?id=4273

ROUND 7 (QB)

Kevin O'Connell- Zorn's type of QB athletic and mobile a 6'5 kid that runs a 4.61: http://youtube.com/watch?v=R7Hem8WbjvI

ROUND 7 (WR)

Chaz Schilens- 6'4-208-4.38

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=14632

ROUND 7 (DB)

Darnell Terrell- 6'2-203-4.46 Great Athlete! Even being looked at as a WR

"Even though Terrell had a breakout season at cornerback in 2007, professional teams are also examining him as a wide receiver, feeling that he has the natural hands and burst to compete at the next level at that position. At a recent Pro Day workout, he looked like a natural, as he ran routes and caught every pass."

(props to SkinsSyco4Life on Terrell)

All Player profiles without links can be found @: http://www.nfl.com/draft

:cheers: Thoughts?

I don't see how so many think that Phillip Merling deserves a first round grade and wanting us to pick him with our 1st round pick and this over Lima Sweed?

Phillip Merling only had one productive year. Merling is comming off a hernia that has kept him out of the NFL Combine and Clemson Pro Day. Yet alot still are reaching for this guy and most say that Lima doesn't deserve a first round grade. Lima produced every year and was injured his senior year and still produced 801yds; 17.4yd avg; and 12 TD. Lima went to his Pro Day and did very well making all the catches. This argument against Sweed baffles me.

Edit: I would still be happy if we picked Merling; but the whole no WR deserves a first round thing baffles me.

Its Limas, and Merling will hold his pro day Friday so we will just have to wait and see how he pans out.

I'm not sold on him either. I think he has bust potential.

I just don't trust a player having only 1 productive year to base a first round pick. I would be very happy with your mock as well. I just want big WR target to help our 4 TD WR corps from last year.

Assuming that the Vikings land Jared Allen, we have a fair chance of landing Derrick Harvey. If New England takes someone like McKelvin or Albert, Harvey could fall. Cincy looks to take Ellis, and Detroit seems focused on Mendenhall or Mayo. So, I'm penciling in Harvey for us, which would be outstanding in my view.

1. Derrick Harvey/DE - Value pick. Fine end rusher with size and speed.

2. Jordy Nelson/WR - for reasons already clear in other posts

3. Antuan Molden/CB - ditto

3. Jeremy Zuttah/G/C - flexible interior lineman, has done great things for Ray Rice and Brian Leonard before him.

5. Simeone Castille S/CB - projects better to safety. I always want versatility. We need a backup for Landry

6. Kevin O'Connell QB/- Strong, fast, tall and accurate passer who protects the ball

7. Corey Lynch S/ back up for Doughty

7. Vincent Redd OLB - big and fast, could be gone by this point. If available, we should take him.

7. Mike Gibson OT

Assuming that the Vikings land Jared Allen, we have a fair chance of landing Derrick Harvey. If New England takes someone like McKelvin or Albert, Harvey could fall. Cincy looks to take Ellis, and Detroit seems focused on Mendenhall or Mayo. So, I'm penciling in Harvey for us, which would be outstanding in my view.

1. Derrick Harvey/DE - Value pick. Fine end rusher with size and speed.

2. Jordy Nelson/WR - for reasons already clear in other posts

3. Antuan Molden/CB - ditto

3. Jeremy Zuttah/G/C - flexible interior lineman, has done great things for Ray Rice and Brian Leonard before him.

5. Simeone Castille S/CB - projects better to safety. I always want versatility. We need a backup for Landry

6. Kevin O'Connell QB/- Strong, fast, tall and accurate passer who protects the ball

7. Corey Lynch S/ back up for Doughty

7. Vincent Redd OLB - big and fast, could be gone by this point. If available, we should take him.

7. Mike Gibson OT

I like your picks here. I forgot about Zuttah, I like the flexibility he has which is also why I like Adam Kraus from Michigan. He played guard and center for them and I think good O-line guys with the ability to play more then one spot could be studs with Buges.

I really wouldn't argue at all here, nice :point2sky

To all,

You can view my mock in this thread here,

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244719&page=2&pp=15

I`t involves a trade down scenario involving two teams. Green Bay and Atlanta, I`m posting to give more depth to my proposal. In my thoughts I had to think who may want to trade down other than our Skins. Dallas picks at #22 and #28 some believe they may trade up, but they also could pick at #22 and trade down from #28. If so that`s 1. Pittsburgh #23,Tennesee #24 and Seattle #25 look like they most likely stay put. Jacksonville at #26 may want to trade up, word is they want to get up for one of top DE`s. San Diego picks next at #27 and this is the team that could foil everything because they do not have another pick until round 4 so you know they will want to deal that pick. That makes it 2.

That leaves San Fran at #29, Green Bay at #30 and N.Y. Giants at #31, of these three Green Bay is only one that I`ve read about saying they were considering trading up. San Fran could but I chose Green Bay. Some think Atlanta would come all the way to #21, but it just would not make sense. In another thread I proposed that we should draft Brian Brohm with the #21 and see if we could trade him, but I did not receive much support for that idea, I still see it as possible and would not be surprised.

Anyway my logic for my trade down scenario has been explained. I would also like to say I'm pleased that this thread is still breathing, lots of good mocks and thoughts. Seems that Jordy Nelson and Brian Johnston are receiving much deserved props.

:cheers:

I just don't trust a player having only 1 productive year to base a first round pick. I would be very happy with your mock as well. I just want big WR target to help our 4 TD WR corps from last year.

Yup. That's why I'm not sold on Balmer either. However, the reason I have the Skins taking him is because I think all the other quality players will be gone, leaving Balmer the BPA. I put my list up earlier but of the people most likely to be there at 21, here is the BPA list IMO:

1) Balmer

2) Merling

3) Sweed

4) Talib

I think the best OL left at 21 will be Cherilus, who can't play guard, which means he won't be what we go for. The team really like Sam Baker, but he won't be the BPA at 21, and the team doesn't reach in the 1st round. The list above is the best DT, DE, WR, and CB prospects likely available at 21.

Now here is the list of players that could fall, and would thus be picked over anyone on the other list:

1) Derrick Harvey- DE

2) Chris Williams- OT

3) Jeff Otah- OT

4) Mike Jenkins- CB

If any one of these guys is available at 21 they will be taken. However, I don't think any of them will be available, which is why I have said trading down will likely be the best possible scenario for us. The only problem is finding someone who wants to trade up.

Bobbie Williams Bethune Cookman 6' 214

check this guy out

dude hits pretty hard , maybe skins will give him a chance.Does anyone have insight on the kid?

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=67878

Here's a link with some pertinent info. Kid is fast for a safety.

Here is a link with info on strengths and weaknesses.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1403

For a 7th round pick we could do a heck of a lot worse.

Hey all, I know I don't post on here too often, just tend to read and take it all in....

Just one question. Why do so many people want us to take Mike McGlynn (OG/OT) Pittsburgh??? Have any of you ever seen him play? I've gone to every PITT football game for the last few years and absolutely nothing that he showed me would merit that type of selection. If he gets drafted anywhere before the late 5th/6th round that is going to be a HUGE reach. I have nothing against the kid as he tried his hardest, he just doesn't have the skills and I watched him get beat time and time again by rather weak defensive lines. Just my :2cents:

Hey all, I know I don't post on here too often, just tend to read and take it all in....

Just one question. Why do so many people want us to take Mike McGlynn (OG/OT) Pittsburgh??? Have any of you ever seen him play? I've gone to every PITT football game for the last few years and absolutely nothing that he showed me would merit that type of selection. If he gets drafted anywhere before the late 5th/6th round that is going to be a HUGE reach. I have nothing against the kid as he tried his hardest, he just doesn't have the skills and I watched him get beat time and time again by rather weak defensive lines. Just my :2cents:

I'm not that high on him. People picking him might be cuz he is a guard prospect, or it might also have something to do with him being from Pitt. and Grimm and May were from there.

Latest from JLC. Looks like I have to change my 1st rounder again.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Click link for entire article

Malcolm Kelly and Phillip Merling

Really gotta be fast on this one - puck about to drop - but making more calls and two names to watch this weekend for the Skins are WR Malcolm Kelly and DE Phillip Merling, team sources said. The team was finalizing trips to Oklahoma and Clemson, respectively, to meet the players one more time before the draft, likely the final visits with players before the draft this weekend.

Kelly bears particular attention. The Skins already brought him in for a visit recently and went out to Oklahoma for his workout. Now, they're going back again. It's looking more and more obvious that their dream scenario, where a tackle like Williams or Albert slips to 21, is out the window. And the ability to trade down out of the pick is largely out of their control, and there might not be a team willing to give up enough to trade up.

So they might be stuck making a pick.

Kelly ran a slow time during his workout in Oklahoma, and the Skins no doubt would like to see that improved upon this week. He lashed out at Oklahoma staff and trainers for their handling of his recent injuries and pouted that his low 40-yard time was due to a change of surface. His attitude led him to slip down some draft boards, but the kid is also a playmaker with some talent. He is leading the group of receivers Washington might end up considering at 21, but, again, they'd prefer to pick from this bunch somewhere in the second round instead.

The fact they are going back to see Kelly again was telling to many within the organization. If Kelly was off the board - or slips in the eyes of the Skins at this next meeting - Limas Sweed of Texas and Jordy Nelson of Kansas State are also high on Washington's receiver board, sources said, and either would be a candidate to be selected (Nelson recently visited Redskins Park and came away making a very strong impression, team sources said.

As for Merling, the team's attention has turned away from DT - which Greg Blache considered to be a strong position of need - to DE in recent days, again due to factors beyond the club's control. There is a huge drop-off after the top 3-4 DTs go in the top 10 picks. It's a stretch to take one in the top two rounds for the most part where the Skins pick, though the Skins will likely look hard at Marcus Harrison (Arkansas) around the third round if he's out there.

Merling rates higher than Miami DE Calais Campbell at this point with the Skins, sources said, but again things can change post-workout and as the draft gets closer. Merling slid down some boards after requiring sports hernia surgery, but like Kelly he is a junior with a lot of upside.

I think if the Skins like Kelly they'll wait for him in the 2nd, cuz he could drop that far. Good to hear we are high on Nelson. Marcus Harrison is a beast too.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=67878

Here's a link with some pertinent info. Kid is fast for a safety.

Here is a link with info on strengths and weaknesses.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1403

For a 7th round pick we could do a heck of a lot worse.

thanks this Williams seems like a stud. I'd be fine with him in b&g, must be the lack of competition thats hurting him:cheers:

I like Jordy as well but not in the 1st round. I would take him in the second if we go after Merling or Cambell. I wouldn't mind Kelly as a second round pick, re-occuring knee problems scare me alot. If Sweed is there, I still believe he will be the choice in the first. Just a gut feeling. I think thier will be some very good DT in the second if we go Sweed in the first is my thoughts.

I like Jordy as well but not in the 1st round. I would take him in the second if we go after Merling or Cambell. I wouldn't mind Kelly as a second round pick, re-occuring knee problems scare me alot. If Sweed is there, I still believe he will be the choice in the first. Just a gut feeling. I think thier will be some very good DT in the second if we go Sweed in the first is my thoughts.

I like Nelson too, but I agree late 2nd to 3rd is best for him. Kelly would be a decent 2nd round pick, not a 1st with his speed and injury issues.

There are some good DTs to be had in the 2nd, specifically Dre Moore and Pat Sims.

This draft is very interesting cuz we just don't know which way the Skins are going to go. We know the top priorities, and we know which ones will be addressed in the first 3 rounds, more or less. However, because we are at 21, we can only guess who will fall and who won't. Whomever the Skins pick at 21, that sets the tone for the rest of their draft.

I like Nelson too, but I agree late 2nd to 3rd is best for him. Kelly would be a decent 2nd round pick, not a 1st with his speed and injury issues.

There are some good DTs to be had in the 2nd, specifically Dre Moore and Pat Sims.

This draft is very interesting cuz we just don't know which way the Skins are going to go. We know the top priorities, and we know which ones will be addressed in the first 3 rounds, more or less. However, because we are at 21, we can only guess who will fall and who won't. Whomever the Skins pick at 21, that sets the tone for the rest of their draft.

You switched to Merling! I like it.

You're right, who knows who will fall to us and who won't. But as long as we stick to the plan and address OL, DL, WR, and CB with our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 3b picks, and pick BPA I'll have no problem with whomever we take.

I sure would like to see us get Jordy, though. Or trade down and get Sam Baker.

Only a few more days to speculate. The draft is near!

1st: Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson

2nd: Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas St.

3rd: Jeremy Zuttah, C/G, Rutgers

3rd comp: Thomas DeCoud, S, California

5th: Gary Guyton, LB, Georgia Tech

6th: Mike Gibson, OT/OG, California

7th: Matt Flynn, QB, LSU

7th comp: Brandon Coutu, K, Georgia

7th comp: Jerome Messam, FB, Graceland (IA)

Archived