Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your favorite baseball team?

NDSkinsguy

Where did you play High School... My brother is your age and he played for Hylton... did you play in Lake Ridge?

ps - however, I am ignoring your Cal hatred/indifference ;)

Paige, we had this conversation on PM just last month;) I grew up in Fairfax County and played for McLean high school. I remember you said your brother played in college, Clemson or somewhere around there?

After high school, I considered walking on at my college, because they didn't really recruit pitching, so I had a good shot; many of their pitchers were walk-ons. But I decided I couldn't make the time commitment, so I played men's league with college players and spent my college time on drinking and women. My father wasn't particularly happy with my decision.:laugh:

And for those questioning, as I'm sure they will, I believe the league was called N.A.B.A, and I played with folks from UMD, UMBC, Longwood, and a few other colleges. As for the minor league guys, the only name I remember was Tony Riggs, who was in the Marlins system. There were others, but his is the only name that springs to mind. I remember him because he was a pitcher and threw 93 mph. The fastest I ever saw in high school was a kid who threw 90. I didn't think 3 mph would make that much of a difference at such high speeds, but it damn sure does.

I grounded out to the pitcher. My hands stung like hell. I considered myself lucky for making contact.

Guest sith lord
Did i say that? Read what I wrote.

You didn't say it directly, but if what you said is true, then it is implied that they could spend the money to compete with the Yanks and Sox.

I hate those people. Their allegiance to the Skins runs strong, but not as strong as their baseball team. As soon as a closer team moves by, it's "oops! I hate Angelos! I'm a Nats fan now!"

What if DC got a second football team, hypothetically? Would they be saying "Oh, I hate Snyder, I'm not a Skins fan anymore!"

How convenient. :rolleyes:

GO NATS.

I identify with Washington's sports teams, not Baltimore's. While I do hate Peter Angelos, he is not the reason I root for the Nats. I root for the Nats because they represent DC, whereas the O's do not.

Peter Angelos could be the best guy in the world, but I'd still root for the Nats because they are DC's team. Simple as that.

I used to be a O's fans, but once my hometown got a team I became a Nat's fan. I still root for the O's to win in the AL, but if they go head to head I am rooting of the Nat's. My dream World Series one day would be O's vs Nat's, the battle of the beltway.

And for those questioning, as I'm sure they will, I believe the league was called N.A.B.A, and I played with folks from UMD, UMBC, Longwood, and a few other colleges.

ah.... I know that league.... very well. ;) yes its a summer league... its pretty much all the guys that don't go to cape cod. Many of the players are A - AA level players. I had a few good summers with those boys.... much to my brother's despair.

I think you guys need to understand that Orioles fans do not like Angelos either -- so you can't hate O's fans for that reason. We just love our team. I was on the cover of the NY Times two years ago protesting Angelos....

oDJkOtzZ.jpg

that's me on the left we three of my good friends... I skipped out of work to go to that day game. My dad called me the next morning, ummmm Paige you are on the cover of the NY Times Sports section. (not to mention everywhere the AP ran this photo) My dad has the NY Times article framed for me for xmas that year...

You didn't say it directly, but if what you said is true, then it is implied that they could spend the money to compete with the Yanks and Sox.

Who is they? The orioles? Not implying the orioles could do anything.

Im speaking about the Nationals getting their fair share of TV money I believe last year the Nats got $27 Mil for their cut (2005 it was $2 mil). If they had their own TV Network they would surpass that by millions....thats a lot of money to put toward payroll, sign higher draft choices and improve scouting if they desired to.

As an O's fan, I think they could compete. Which was my point that the O's fans get a raw deal as well... the way to compete in the AL East right now is pitching. And Angelos has made it VERY clear that he will not spend money on free agent pitchers. Our fantastic farm teams breed amazing pitchers and we f-ing trade them off. It's obvious we have the offense. And this season he is even jeopardizing that with what he did to Markakis. He had an opportunity to sign this incredible athlete to a long term deal but did not want to double his rookie salary... now he has a one year contract and is likely going to have a banner year and then he is going to give Angelos to the finger in the offseason and head to the Yankees (or more likely someone like the braves since he is from Atlanta).

ah... that feels beer.

A few points. The free agent pitchers that he has not gone after recently have actually worked out in our favor (Jason Schmidt, Barry Zito). And I don't think we have had many young pitchers worth jack until the last few years. The only young one that I can think of that has gone anywhere and really produced was John Maine, and I don't think he would have ever done the same thing in our organization. Unless you are counting Bedard, and we really needed to trade him while we could. It was the best thing for the organization.

Our young talent was terrible for a while, due to terrible scouting and drafting. We drafted fiirst round pitchers like Mike Paradis, Richard Stahl and Beau Hale...(I know...who?). But ever since Fred Jordan has come along to head up our scouting, things have gone amazingly well. Between tremendous draft picks and the arms we got in the Tejada and Bedard trades, the O's have am incredible stockpile of arms. One of the top crops in the majors. We are going to have no problem with young pitching for years to come. We do not have many position prospects, but you can always deal pitching for hitting, but not always the other way around.

I agree about Markakis. I do not like how it went down, but that is the way it is with contracts that players sign when they are rookies. The same thing happened with Cole Hamels and Prince Fielder. The team has the advantage for the first few years, then it dramatically swings in advantage to the player.

By the way, Markakis is still arbitration eligible for the next three years after this. And the O's will surely offer him arbitration. He will be an Oriole through at least 2011. After that is anyone's guess though.

Here is a recent article about the Markakis situation.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.connolly05mar05,0,2062961.column

The year the Nats came out... I had a t-shirt made that said on the front:

I may be DC born....

and then on the back

...but I am Orioles bred!

then in small print

(screw the nationals)

I got so many comments on it -- people wanted to buy them from me.

That's good stuff!

I like it! It irritates me how many of my friends argue that I'm doing the wrong thing by staying loyal...very counterintuitive if you ask me!

Get over it?

East to say.

How about Angelos gets over wanting to control the Nationals TV revenue. He begged and cried and got his way with MLB so they granted HIM the owner of the Nationals tv rights. The Nats can only earn 33% of whatever revenue is earned from HIS MASN TELEVISION NETWORK. The deal was done before baseball even got to city.

Every team in the league owns their own tv rights and/or Network except the Nationals....and they never will due to Angelos. Revenue that could be generated from TV and put toward the team will not happen (or wont be as likely to occur).

That is something I cant get over until he relinquishes the Nationals TV rights so they can be on an even scale with the rest of the league.

Not only that but Angelos control of the Nationals TV rights kept them off the air in 2005 in the DC area and for a portion of 2006. Cable companies didnt strike deals with this "MASN" network so Nationals fans were unable to see the team play except for the FRI and Sat games.

I will always smile whenever the Orioles fail, for life. Thats just me and there is no changing it. The more people try to tell me to like the orioles the more I hate them.

And how exactly do the finances of the Orioles and Nationls affect you? You don't get any money from TV rights. You just watch the games. Maybe with ticket prices, but it won't be that much of an effect on you.

Doesn't sound like you are too enthusiastic about it, by saying you're "stuck" rooting for them. It is what it is. You and I grew up rooting for the O's. There is nothing wrong with that.

I feel "stuck" with the Baltimore aspect of it. I am thrilled to be an O's fan, I just wish somehow they moved to DC and the Nats were in Baltimore...hahaha.

A few points. The free agent pitchers that he has not gone after recently have actually worked out in our favor (Jason Schmidt, Barry Zito). And I don't think we have had many young pitchers worth jack until the last few years.

I agree to some extent... however there have been pitchers out there that we could have gone after but didn't because the pricetag was to high to start out with... we have the money, the same money that the Yankees and the Red Sox have. Now, I would much prefer that we succeed off the moneyball game like the A's did however it hasn't worked yet. I think the O's have a great young team and really just need some considtent pitching. I skipped out of work on Monday to go to the day game, walked in around 3:10 to the crack of a homerun. You know I didn't know who was pitching when I went but as soon as I heard homerun Mariners I knew Cabrera was pitching... :(

I LOVE the new closer Sherrill and I think that both Jones and Scott were great offseason pickups I just would like to see a big name on the mound for once. that's all.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes, I'm laughing at you. I have zero knowledge of baseball?

However, rather than turn this into a message board war, I will explain. I do not hate Cal Ripken but I believe that he and his streak became more than the team. His power numbers dropped drastically towards the end or his career though his average remained relatively stable, except for the last two years. The Orioles had prospects that needed time in the majors (I believe Wes Helms and Ryan Minor were two of them, but that might be wrong) but how could any manager sit Ripken? They couldn't, because he had become bigger than the team, and wasn't putting up the numbers to back it up. In that vein, I regard him as somewhat selfish. Do I think he was good for the game? Yes, but I think he put himself before other things. So while I don't hate him, I certainly don't revere him the way many do.

The knowledge of baseball was sarcasm on my part for the overall comment of "hating" him without me knowing what your actual knowledge of the game was. I didn't need a resume, but if I ever need an umpire, I'll know where to look.

Yes I agree that it was somewhat selfish, but all older ballplayers lose power (except roided up Bonds) and decline in their skills. The 2 kids that you talk about never develeped into anything even after their stint with the Orioles.

Also, at the time, the Orioles in 97 and 98 were contenders so, I disagree with him becoming bigger than the team. That was all medica, kind of like the Cowboys being "america's team."

I LOVE the new closer Sherrill and I think that both Jones and Scott were great offseason pickups I just would like to see a big name on the mound for once. that's all.

You had a big name on the mound, his name was Mike Mussina. Angelos wouldn't pay him either. I don't know if you can complain about that to us Nats fans, the best we've had so far is Livan Hernandez.:doh:

GO NATS.

I identify with Washington's sports teams, not Baltimore's. While I do hate Peter Angelos, he is not the reason I root for the Nats. I root for the Nats because they represent DC, whereas the O's do not.

Peter Angelos could be the best guy in the world, but I'd still root for the Nats because they are DC's team. Simple as that.

And that's pretty much what most O's fans want to hear. Don't blame us for Angelos as we have no control over him. Most of us wish he'd die. No hatred, but just because they are your home team. Thank You.

I am right there with ya. With consistent starting pitching, this team could be pretty good. Not good enough to compete in the AL East, but they could make things interesting.

I think they are doing things the right way now though. It was all not going to come together quickly after a decade of bad baseball, but they are on their way. They are going to be able to package some of their young arms for trade for some bigger pieces in the future. Then things could get interesting.

We have drafted and developed a few good ones and we stole a few from the Mariners in the Bedard deal.

That's good stuff!

I like it! It irritates me how many of my friends argue that I'm doing the wrong thing by staying loyal...very counterintuitive if you ask me!

I live in Baltimore now, but grew up in Old Town... so its different for me. My dad and I went to Memorial every Sunday game and some others. That's how I became a fan. I we will be moving back to DC in the next year... there was no team in DC when I left however there is nothing that could make me denounce my fandom. Like how I will never be a Ravens fan despite living right next to the stadium.

Yes I agree that it was somewhat selfish, but all older ballplayers lose power (except roided up Bonds) and decline in their skills. The 2 kids that you talk about never develeped into anything even after their stint with the Orioles.

Also, at the time, the Orioles in 97 and 98 were contenders so, I disagree with him becoming bigger than the team. That was all medica, kind of like the Cowboys being "america's team."

While I agree with you on the Bonds issue, most of those older players are also given days off, whether they want them or not, either to take a rest or to allow younger players to get a little experience and development. His streak did not allow that to happen. Sure, the kids didn't develop into anything, but you never know that about any prospect. (David Clyde, anyone?) They still need to be given chances.

And while I vaguely remember the O's being contenders in '97 and '98, was it Cal that was causing it. I seem to remember Brady Anderson having a hell of a season (though I'm suspisious) and Mike Mussina being really solid, but I don't remember Cal being a prime contributor.

The Orioles had prospects that needed time in the majors (I believe Wes Helms and Ryan Minor were two of them, but that might be wrong) but how could any manager sit Ripken?

I know you said you may be wrong, but Minor was definitely the top prospect. And he turned out to be not that good, and the O's started to realize that. There is no way he could have matched Ripken's numbers, even as he started to decline.

As for Helms, we never had him, he was drafted by the Braves and came up in their system. I can not think of anyone else that Ripken would have been blocking. Our farm system was not exactly great back then.

I know you said you may be wrong, but Minor was definitely the top prospect. And he turned out to be not that good, and the O's started to realize that. There is no way he could have matched Ripken's numbers, even as he started to decline.

As for Helms, we never had him, he was drafted by the Braves and came up in their system. I can not think of anyone else that Ripken would have been blocking. Our farm system was not exactly great back then.

It might not have been Helms, I was pretty sure about the name "Wes" but it might have been someone else.

If it makes you feel better, I just typed "Prospects ruined by Cal Ripken" into Google and got no exact matches:D

Archived