Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your favorite baseball team?

NDSkinsguy

Oh my, a couple of message board people change your opinon. LOL:doh:

Well, let's not say I'm sitting here crying on my keyboard. That's kind of ridiculous. It's more than a couple of people. I remain loyal to my teams. I'm trying REALLY HARD to become a fan of the Nats, but there are alot of people in here that make it difficult with their comments. I just find that there is alot of bitterness from alot of people who were casual baseball fans and now are DIEHARDS. Nats fans need to get over the whole Angelos and O's thing. You got your team. They need to grow up, stop whining about not having a team all those years and just enjoy them.

I grew up a O's fan but after Cal retired so did my loyalty to that team. I live in San Diego and I picked up the Padres around the 98 season when they went to the WS (I actually went to the NLCS games against the Braves) and have ridden the Friar bandwagon ever since.

Petco Park is a great park, as good as Camden Yards even.

Well, let's not say I'm sitting here crying on my keyboard. That's kind of ridiculous. It's more than a couple of people. I remain loyal to my teams. I'm trying REALLY HARD to become a fan of the Nats, but there are alot of people in here that make it difficult with their comments. I just find that there is alot of bitterness from alot of people who were casual baseball fans and now are DIEHARDS. Nats fans need to get over the whole Angelos and O's thing. You got your team. They need to grow up, stop whining about not having a team all those years and just enjoy them.

Its the same people who are Orioles fans that are doing the exact same. All i hear at UMD is the same exact thing hearing it from Orioles fans

**** the O's.

Have fun finishing below .500 for the rest of eternity.

Just one of the miriad of comments from Nats fans. Sorry GALCOLB, I like talking to you about the Wiz, Skins and Peru, but these kinds of comments make it hard for me to become a Nats fan. I like them, and I check the scoreboard every night along with the Orioles, but I will never be more of a Nats fan then an O's fan.

I used to be as die hard about the O's as I was about the Skins. But I lost interest in Baseball along the way with the strike and steroids and all. I am still an O's fan and they will always be my favorite! BUT, as long as Peter Angelos continues to drive down a once glorious franchise, I will not attend or support the team in any financial way, whatsoever.

With that said, I am happy to see a team in DC and will route for the Nationals as well, but the O's are my still my favorite.

Nats fans need to get over the whole Angelos and O's thing. You got your team. They need to grow up, stop whining about not having a team all those years and just enjoy them.

Seriously, the O's-Angelos thing hurt O's fans more than it hurt Nats fans. Look at our last three seasons. Angelos got subsidized by the MLB so he did nothing to cater to the fans. Not a thing. This is my first season in 7 years that I am not a season ticket holder. And things are not going to change because he still gets all the money he needs from MASN that he does not need to fill the stands. I meant the fact that we didn't sell out opening day is embarrasing.

Red Sox fan here...

Now before I get the bandwagon stuff let me explain. Pretty much took on what my dad and grandfather liked, they brainwashed me as a kid..My grandfather is originally from New Brunswick, CA and migrated to Gardner, MA as a kid. He then moved his family to DC in 1950 when he joined the Air Force and was stationed at Bolling. So since there was no New England Patriots, he adopted the Redskins since they were originally the Boston Braves.

So when the Sox won in '04 I cried for hours, knowing the one thing my grandfather loved more than anything (besides family) had won the World Series. He always said there is one thing that could make him say he lived a full life and could die happy - that was seeing the Red Sox win the World Series and sadly, he didn't see that - he passed in 2000. Seeing the bandwagon fans make me sick, as they probably don't know anyone that lived their entire life and passed on without seeing that or even knowing the history of the Mad Dash or Bob Gibson or the Reds destroying our dreams.

Long story short I am a Redskins, Red Sox and Celtics fan.

Just one of the miriad of comments from Nats fans. Sorry GALCOLB, I like talking to you about the Wiz, Skins and Peru, but these kinds of comments make it hard for me to become a Nats fan. I like them, and I check the scoreboard every night along with the Orioles, but I will never be more of a Nats fan then an O's fan.

I haven't followed baseball closely in 10 years so I really don't sweat it. O's fan's just annoy me (GoSkins08) with their air of superiority because they've been here longer and blah blah blah.

Kinda funny how Nats fans have the same problem with O's fans as O's fan's have with Nat's fans.

Guest ComebackKing

The only team I really hate is the Yankees, so naturally I root for the Red Sox. I'll root for the Nats too but they're basically a lost cause.

Get over it?

East to say.

How about Angelos gets over wanting to control the Nationals TV revenue. He begged and cried and got his way with MLB so they granted HIM the owner of the Nationals tv rights. The Nats can only earn 33% of whatever revenue is earned from HIS MASN TELEVISION NETWORK. The deal was done before baseball even got to city.

Every team in the league owns their own tv rights and/or Network except the Nationals....and they never will due to Angelos. Revenue that could be generated from TV and put toward the team will not happen (or wont be as likely to occur).

That is something I cant get over until he relinquishes the Nationals TV rights so they can be on an even scale with the rest of the league.

Not only that but Angelos control of the Nationals TV rights kept them off the air in 2005 in the DC area and for a portion of 2006. Cable companies didnt strike deals with this "MASN" network so Nationals fans were unable to see the team play except for the FRI and Sat games.

I will always smile whenever the Orioles fail, for life. Thats just me and there is no changing it. The more people try to tell me to like the orioles the more I hate them.

You should get a vacation for this comment. I really don't know how you can say that after all he did for baseball and the way he conducted himself in his career. You sir, have zero knowledge of baseball.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes, I'm laughing at you. I have zero knowledge of baseball? Well let's just see about that...I started playing when I was five, played through high school, and then played in a college level men's league with/against college and former minor league players.

So that's what...18, 19 years experience playing. Then you throw in a couple of years coaching, and 8 years umpiring the sport, not to mention writing about it for the college newspaper, yeah, I know nothing. Now I will say, the Cal Ripken line was a bit of a throwaway just to annoy you birds fans. But I likely have more experience with baseball in one hand than you ever will.

However, rather than turn this into a message board war, I will explain. I do not hate Cal Ripken but I believe that he and his streak became more than the team. His power numbers dropped drastically towards the end or his career though his average remained relatively stable, except for the last two years. The Orioles had prospects that needed time in the majors (I believe Wes Helms and Ryan Minor were two of them, but that might be wrong) but how could any manager sit Ripken? They couldn't, because he had become bigger than the team, and wasn't putting up the numbers to back it up. In that vein, I regard him as somewhat selfish. Do I think he was good for the game? Yes, but I think he put himself before other things. So while I don't hate him, I certainly don't revere him the way many do.

Do you know what the day September 20th, 1998 was? That was the day that Ripken decided to finally sit and end his streak, against the Yankees. I was in the stands for that game, I still have the ticket stub lying around somewhere. I have kept it for historic purposes, but it honestly doesn't mean that much to me. If one of you Birds fans wants it, you can have it.

See above post, I may not hate him, but I don't think of him as anything special, for reasons already outlined.

Where did you play High School... My brother is your age and he played for Hylton... did you play in Lake Ridge?

ps - however, I am ignoring your Cal hatred/indifference ;)

Guest sith lord
Get over it?

East to say.

How about Angelos gets over wanting to control the Nationals TV revenue. He begged and cried and got his way with MLB so they granted HIM the owner of the Nationals tv rights. The Nats can only earn 33% of whatever revenue is earned from HIS MASN TELEVISION NETWORK. The deal was done before baseball even got to city.

Every team in the league owns their own tv rights and/or Network except the Nationals....and they never will due to Angelos. Revenue that could be generated from TV and put toward the team will not happen (or wont be as likely to occur).

That is something I cant get over until he relinquishes the Nationals TV rights so they can be on an even scale with the rest of the league.

Not only that but Angelos control of the Nationals TV rights kept them off the air in 2005 in the DC area and for a portion of 2006. Cable companies didnt strike deals with this "MASN" network so Nationals fans were unable to see the team play except for the FRI and Sat games.

I will always smile whenever the Orioles fail, for life. Thats just me and there is no changing it. The more people try to tell me to like the orioles the more I hate them.

So in other words, The O's could compete with the Yanks and Sox if they wanted to?

I was a Senators fan when I was a kid growing up in the 60’s, but became an O's fan shortly after the Senators left town in the early 70's.

Now that DC has the Nats, I want to become a Nats fan, but it is hard to leave a team that I have rooted for for 35 years.

Peter Angelos is making it easier for me to consider jumping ship, tho.

Right now, I root for the Frederick Keys.

They are a Class A minor league affiliate of the O's.

So in other words, The O's could compete with the Yanks and Sox if they wanted to?

As an O's fan, I think they could compete. Which was my point that the O's fans get a raw deal as well... the way to compete in the AL East right now is pitching. And Angelos has made it VERY clear that he will not spend money on free agent pitchers. Our fantastic farm teams breed amazing pitchers and we f-ing trade them off. It's obvious we have the offense. And this season he is even jeopardizing that with what he did to Markakis. He had an opportunity to sign this incredible athlete to a long term deal but did not want to double his rookie salary... now he has a one year contract and is likely going to have a banner year and then he is going to give Angelos to the finger in the offseason and head to the Yankees (or more likely someone like the braves since he is from Atlanta).

ah... that feels beer.

Archived