Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Worst movie ripoff in history.

KevinthePRF

This thread reminds me of something I've wanted to ask - does anyone remember a movie I believe titled Great White or something along those lines? It was made just after Jaws and the people who made it were sued I believe.

I was young, but I can still remember the previews and I thought it looked pretty good - one was of guy riding one of those surfboards with a sail attached to it - sail glider I guess (forgot the name of it) and he was hit from underneath by the shark and thrown about thirty feet in the air and then pretty much turned out as an appetizer.

I cannot find any hint about it but I'm certain it was made - late 70's early 80's maybe...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_White_(film)

Well, THe departed ripped off Internal Affairs.

It's Infernal Affairs, not Internal Affairs. And it was a remake so I don't think that counts as a rip off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infernal_Affairs

YES. Thank you. I haven't read the book but the movie IS star wars. Im pretty sure the book is the same, but even if it isn't there is no way that movie should have ever ever been made.

Honestly, I've read quite a few of them and most fantasy books are exactly like Star Wars. They all start the same with some country bumpkin getting caught up in some bull**** with a princess to save the world. I mean, really. All of them.

Of course you I guess you could then turn it around and say Star War ripped Tolkien in some way as he started it all.

(Robert Jordan (RIP) and the Wheel of Time series is the best though.)

(Ugh I just outed my nerdom. Such shame.)

So many movies come to mind. For instance, Abyss, leviathen and Deep Star 6 all came out about the same time, they all had the same premis. Holywood does this all the time. Gladiator, Troy, Kingdom of heaven.....there are so many others.

With the exception that Troy was based on a book that was written a LONG time ago ;). They just took out the mythology part and concentrated on one persons story instead of the other Heros.

Honestly, I've read quite a few of them and most fantasy books are exactly like Star Wars. They all start the same with some country bumpkin getting caught up in some bull**** with a princess to save the world. I mean, really. All of them.

Of course you I guess you could then turn it around and say Star War ripped Tolkien in some way as he started it all.

(Robert Jordan (RIP) and the Wheel of Time series is the best though.)

(Ugh I just outed my nerdom. Such shame.)

Well you can also make the point of how many movies ripped off Isaac Asimov.

Guest sith lord
Star Wars ripped off many, many films including John Ford's western classic "The Searchers" and the japanese cartoon TV series Star Balzers.

Quentin Tarantino pretty much took a ton of Hong Kong action movies and the result was Reservoir Dogs.

There's a difference between being inspired by another film than blantenly ripping off another film. Lucas has said many times that Star wars was inspired my many films.

You ever saw the original Battlestar Galactica? Those spaceships screamed Star Wars.

www.colonialfleets.com/darrell/viper_comparison1.jpg

If I was Lucas, I might have actually sued.

He tried but the lawsuit was thrown out in 1980...Battlestar Galatica (according to it's creator Glen Larson) had been in devlopment since the late 1960's...Universal rushed it into pre-production in the fall of 1977 for the 1978 season for two reasons:

1) They saw the success of "Star Wars" and saw that sci-fi when done right could be very profitable (the same reason Paramount green-lighted "Star Trek: The Motion Picture).

2) Universal was kicking themselves because George Lucas offered them first crack at "Star Wars" and they turned it down! Every studio said no but 20th Century Fox took it because they were on the verge of bankruptcy and they saw it as a tax-write-off.

Now back on topic...worst rip-off has to be Triple X...it ripped off just about every James Bond cleche on the map.

Guest sith lord
You've got the orphaned boy who learns to use and harness all these powers. Then realizes his destiny is to ally himself with others to destroy evil and make the world a better place.

That is a stretch.

Archived