Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Politico: GOP sees Rev. Wright as pathway to victory

heyholetsgogrant

GOP sees Rev. Wright as pathway to victory

By JONATHAN MARTIN | 3/19/08 4:49 AM EST

Barack Obama with his pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright of Trinity UCC in 2005

The inflammatory sermons by Obama’s pastor could offer the GOP a road to victory, insiders believe.

Photo: AP

For months, Republican party officials have watched with increasing trepidation as Barack Obama has shattered fundraising records, packed arena after arena with shrieking fans and pulled in significant Republican and independent votes.

Now, with the emergence of the notorious video portraying Rev. Jeremiah Wright damning the country, criticizing Israel, faulting U.S. policy for the attacks of Sept. 11 and generally lashing out against white America, GOP strategists believe they’ve finally found an antidote to Obamamania.

In their view, the inflammatory sermons by Obama’s pastor offer the party a pathway to victory if Obama emerges as the Democratic nominee. Not only will the video clips enable some elements of the party to define him as unpatriotic, they will also serve as a powerful motivating force for the conservative base.

In fact, the video trove has convinced some that, after months of praying for Hillary Clinton and the automatic enmity which she arouses, that they may actually have easier prey.

“For the first time, some Republicans are rethinking Hillary as their first choice,” said Alex Castellanos, a veteran media consultant who recently worked for Mitt Romney’s campaign.

Even Obama’s much-lauded Tuesday speech, which detailed his relationship with his church and focused on the issue of racial reconciliation, failed to shake the notion that Republicans had been given a rare political gift.

“It was a speech written to mau-mau the New York Times editorial board, the network production people and the media into submission. Beautifully calibrated but deeply dishonest,” said GOP media consultant Rick Wilson, who crafted the ad in 2002 tying then-Sen. Max Cleland to Osama bin Laden. “Not good enough.”

Until now, questions about Obama’s allegiance to country had been largely confined to the fever swamps of the Internet and e-mail chains. They took the form of dark whispers about the greater meaning of Obama’s failure to put his hand over his heart during one national anthem, his decision not to wear an American flag lapel pin and, at their most toxic, the outright lie that he’s a Muslim or some sort of Manchurian candidate.

With Michelle Obama’s comments last month that she was, thanks to her husband’s candidacy, for the first time “really proud of [her country],” the topic entered the more mainstream elements of the conservative conversation, ricocheting across talk radio, cable news and blogs.

“All the sudden you’ve got two dots and two dots make a line,” said Castellanos. “You start getting some sense of who he is and it’s not the Obama you thought – he’s not the Tiger Woods of politics.”

But if Michelle Obama’s gaffe caused some ripples in the right-wing pond, the Wright videos have detonated the equivalent of a daisy cutter on the conservative landscape, awakening an otherwise dispirited party base.

“I usually get three or four emails a week on Obama,” said Michigan Republican chairman Saul Anuzis Monday. “Today I received more than 10 – all of them on his minister.”

Among the e-mails Anuzis received was a link to a mash-up video splicing together Wright’s most extreme comments, Michelle Obama’s statement, footage of Obama not putting his hand over his heart during the anthem at a political event and images of Malcolm X and the two black Olympians in 1968 who raised their fists in the “black power” salute set to the iconic rap song by Public Enemy “Fight the Power.”

Author: Jonathan Martin

Source: Politico

Full Article Click Here:

http://www.politico.com/reporters/JonathanMartin.html

Frankly, if my ancestors were systematically enslaved by a country for hundreds of years, I would probably feel the way Wright does. Any black candidate could be linked to this sort of thinking-which is good for the GOP because we all know they won't be nominating one in our lifetimes.

Not knowing who you are or your family tree, I can pretty much guarantee that some of your ancestors were too.

:2cents:

“I usually get three or four emails a week on Obama,” said Michigan Republican chairman Saul Anuzis Monday. “Today I received more than 10 – all of them on his minister.”

Wow he may need to hire additional staff to handle all the emails ;)

This may backfire by giving Obama a stage to talk about his faith, and by reinforcing his Christianity in the media. I think some of the comments he made in the speech yesterday were carefully aimed at Evangelicals.

The author of this retarded write up is completely dishonest.

"Now, with the emergence of the notorious video portraying Rev. Jeremiah Wright..."

Video? Only one video? Try years and years worth of videos that show this. Do not try and downplay the stupidity and hate that spewed out of Obama's role model because you simply want to see an Anti-American as the President.

The person above who said this is what's wrong with America is exactly right. The fact that so many sheep out here are willing to still vote for this man as our commander in chief when he's shown to have nothing but poor judgement for years is beyond me. He is a horrible father for allowing his children to attend this racist pastors services. He's a horrible US Senator for attending a church that openly records and sells Anti American propaganda. And he will never be president because he is a wolf trying to pass off as a sheep. Don't damn America, Damn Obama and all of the people like him

The author of this retarded write up is completely dishonest.

"Now, with the emergence of the notorious video portraying Rev. Jeremiah Wright..."

Video? Only one video? Try years and years worth of videos that show this. Do not try and downplay the stupidity and hate that spewed out of Obama's role model because you simply want to see an Anti-American as the President.

The person above who said this is what's wrong with America is exactly right. The fact that so many sheep out here are willing to still vote for this man as our commander in chief when he's shown to have nothing but poor judgement for years is beyond me. He is a horrible father for allowing his children to attend this racist pastors services. He's a horrible US Senator for attending a church that openly records and sells Anti American propaganda. And he will never be president because he is a wolf trying to pass off as a sheep. Don't damn America, Damn Obama and all of the people like him

:laugh: :laugh: :doh:

It certainly is a tool that Republicans can and will use against him. Is it Willie Horton? I don't know, but it could be a potent weapon for people more concerned with power and slinging mud than issues and helping the country through its financial, foreign, and energy crisises.

*Sigh*

It won't be until our children will this country be able to get over race. Just from what I heard on the radio regarding comments. I think it's true that my generation (35-40 and under?) has not had systematic racism. No one in this generation was lynched due to race, no one in this generation was *systematically* wiped out by the clan. Yet as long as parents and grandparents are alive with scars and stories, there will be the anger that Obama was talking about.

I'm just a little pissed at the idea like... "Its okay for me to be angry at white people because my great grand-parents were slaves, my grandparents were segregated, and my parents were constantly called "n-word" ". Obama did nothing to address that, in fact his speech encourages black people point to the "systematic racism in this country" that is what, 30-50 years old (being generous) as an excuse to be angry.

What did Jesus teach? Does Obama believe he's Christian? Isn't one of Jesus' greatest commandments to forgive and forget? Did he not go to the cross so that we could lay down our anger and our own righteousness? Is it not possible for black people to "forgive and forget"? Do they want to hold over things like slavery and segregation and other **** that I had nothing to do with, our children had nothing to do with, etc for the rest of our lives?

Frankly, if my ancestors were systematically enslaved by a country for hundreds of years, I would probably feel the way Wright does. Any black candidate could be linked to this sort of thinking-which is good for the GOP because we all know they won't be nominating one in our lifetimes.

waah waah waaah...he wasnt a slave.

White people face the same racism as black people do today.

If you dont believe me, go to SE and walk around. See how many times you get called out by your color.

I'm just a little pissed at the idea like... "Its okay for me to be angry at white people because my great grand-parents were slaves, my grandparents were segregated, and my parents were constantly called "n-word" ". Obama did nothing to address that, in fact his speech encourages black people point to the "systematic racism in this country" that is what, 30-50 years old (being generous) as an excuse to be angry.

I think you make some valid points but I'm going to take issue with this last statement. Obama's speech was not one-sided. He put forth demands on both sides of the racial divide.

From the WP this morning:

Mr. Obama then described the resentment among some whites over affirmative action, busing, crime and a shrinking job base, saying those feelings also "are grounded in legitimate concerns." He talked about the need for whites to recognize the lingering problem of racial discrimination -- and for blacks to embrace the "quintessentially American -- and yes, conservative -- notion of self-help."

So what he is saying is that the black community needs to help itself, and the white community needs to recognize the anger that resulted from our history as legitimate. Now I agree with you that directing that anger towards any particular white person who was simply born into this country is wrong. But I don't see anyone advocating that.

edit: full disclosure: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/18/AR2008031802704.html

MJ,

Some of that was in response to people who were calling in to Talk Radio yesterday and some of the polling data that shows... I want to delicately call it "black resentment". The callers mentioned stories from their grandparents and parents, and also stories about seeing the KKK pass out material in highschool back in 1981. I just feel like partly this is an issue of "black community" needing to come out and say "we choose to forgive and forget... please remember that not all of us can forget, but we're not going to point to the past anymore."

Now, I know there will be cases of racial violence (I think gang wars are the #1 symptom of some type of racism, but here in LA its b/w blacks and latinos... it doesn't make sense why they would hate each other...). Other than gang violence and something like .05% of the population that's probably too ashamed to admit their racism outside of their family (or is in denial)... I just don't think its as big of an issue... but gang violence is a huge issue! Did Obama mention gang wars, even race riots?

It would have been nice to see Obama mention Dr. Martin Luther King and his dream for people not looking at the color of his skin. Instead it's almost like Obama was saying, "Because I'm black, I'm the only one who can heal our nation of the racial problems... (ignore the part where I said we can't solve this in one election cycle)."

It's funny, yesterday I thought the speech was brilliant, but when I think about all the things he could say and didn't say (and how much of that was because he doesn't want to say anything to offend the black community?) and some of the doors he left open... I don't know. I know that black people now can be angry due to the past, but in 20 years should I accept that position? I don't think so... but his speech went all the way back to slavery and the Constitution... like people alive now had been counted as 3/5ths of a person.

Exactly. I've stayed away from some of these debates, because I don't think some of the people on here really want, or care, to know how a lot of black people actually feel about the state of this country. Not going to say all feel that way, but I listened to what Rev. Wright said, and I didn't necessarily disagree with what he said. People aren't looking at the point he was making, just the words he said, and that really annoys me. Regardless, Obama's speech yesterday touched me, because he said what needed to be said, and I applaud him for it. However, when I look at how people still spin what he said in an effort to shine negatively upon him, it frustrates me even more. Because it just proves even more that people really don't want open dialogue, we don't care about it. So **** it.

The problem is, people aren't seeing the words in context and getting the whole story of what the point was.

Jason

how is there any confusion when he is screaming "God damn America"? That sounds pretty clear cut to me. The man sounds just like a Farrakhan or any other hate monger out there.

I'm sorry, but how am I suppossed to figure out what point he is making if I ignore the words he said?

People only hear God Damn America. But if you listen to why he said God Damn America, and you might not be able to understand it personally, I agree with him, and why he says it. I've felt the same way. When I've been followed by the police and pulled over for nothing and multiple cops show up with dogs as if I'm some kind of criminal, hell yeah I felt like saying "God Damn America" then. When I was pulled over by a cop and he repeatedly asked me, "You have a record don't you?", even though he just ran my license. When my elementary school told my dad that black kids aren't as smart as white kids so you have to treat them differently, when my sister's high school told my dad the exact same thing ... then when he took that to the school board they said he was being sensitive. Yes, I can agree with the sentiment of God Damn America. When the block you live on is filled with drug dealers, and you see the police just hanging out with them and making sure they are protected and when you try to take that to the people who are supposed to make sure this doesn't happen, you get kicked out of your house? Yes, I do think God Damn America. There are plenty of black people who have been in similar situations and it makes them feel like racism in this country is alive and well, and no one cares. So I can understand his point, and even level with it. If you think he was just spewing hatred that fine. His words were definitely a little tough to digest. But if you look at the congregation in that church, you can call a cult all you want (but I feel like all religion is a cult), you can tell that the people who understood what he was saying agreed. Maybe you should ask what it is that makes people feel that way, as opposed to immediately writing it off as some kook who is just talking ****.

*Prepares for the ensuing ****storm*

So, can someone answer me this because I don't understand as a white person. I wasn't involve in slavery. I wasn't involved in systematic segregation. I wasn't involved in lynchings. I doubt even my parents were involved in those policies. Yet in 20 years will the "black community" still harbor some deep seated resentment towards those policies? I really hope not, but I really want to ask members of that community why they would feel justified at holding this resentment and passing it down to the next generation.

I've heard the argument from African-American co-workers, "My parents didn't have the opportunities did due to racism." I can buy that, but if in 20 years when my son is 22 and one of his peers repeats the same thing, that's unacceptable. In that context, I'm not so mad and upset about what Rev. Wright said. I can understand someone living during that time and experiencing systematic racism being angry. But, in 20 years, if the same thing is being preached and agreed to a there is a large even minority (30%) of the "black community" who believe that they have suffered because of the systematic injustices of their grandparents and great grandparents, and they are able to carry some chip on their shoulder... that's your problem, and you need to deal with it instead of projecting it onto people who had nothing to contribute to it.

Archived