Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Politico: GOP sees Rev. Wright as pathway to victory

heyholetsgogrant

As to JJ, I acknowledged that you mentioned him.

While it is possible to say that being called names equates to discrimination it completely lightens the fact that certain minorities such as those that live in SE DC do not get to live on equal ground as the majority. Which is the problem and why white people whining about racism is absurd, since outside of things like Howard and BET everything is catered to white people.

Thats how you keep an intelligent conversation going byhasep. You call them whining and insult their intelligence. :doh:

Thats how you keep an intelligent conversation going byhasep. You call them whining and insult their intelligence. :doh:

You could actually address the things I commented on instead of assuming that I was calling you the "whiner."

I've had this same discussion with probably a half dozen people in the past few days and you're the first one to think I was calling them personally a whiner. :whoknows:

You could actually address the things I commented on instead of assuming that I was calling you the "whiner."

I've had this same discussion with probably a half dozen people in the past few days and you're the first one to think I was calling them personally a whiner. :whoknows:

probably because you saw me in another thread with chomerics talking about EXACTLY this and got it in ya to mention it here.

:cheers:

You certainly seem to jump to the conclusion that you are being personally insulted very easily. You have done it in several threads just today.

Relax and take a deep breath. No one is accusing you of racism. And disagreeing with you on in a discussion is not an insult to you.

You certainly seem to jump to the conclusion that you are being personally insulted very easily. You have done it in several threads just today.

Relax and take a deep breath. No one is accusing you of racism. And disagreeing with you on in a discussion is not an insult to you.

Thanks for the reality check...I am not racist. I am not racist.

probably because you saw me in another thread with chomerics talking about EXACTLY this and got it in ya to mention it here.

:cheers:

Well, I meant the "whiners" part in general terms and not personal, for the record. I'll watch how I word things next time. :cheers:

The two threads are so intertwined I'm sure I am mixing things between the two. And in that particular case I did so to bring context to the actual idea of racism.

thats according to you that it doesnt equate to racism, but in my world it does. i am being called out by my color and race and that makes it racist.

I put Jesse Jackson in there..he isnt white is he? :doh:

I get what you are saying, but there are always gonna be some knuckleheads in either race that are gonna do stuff like you describe.

I think what SSM and some others are getting at is institutional racism. Racism that keps people from getting jobs they may well be qualified to perform. Racism that garners them police attention when it is unwarranted.

That is a big difference in my mind from some punk calling me cracker out at a club. To me it might piss me off, but to a minority I could see being called something derogatory as kind of a straw that breaks the camels back. It would be pretty easy to run into what some minorities do and become bitter.

But that being said I agree with you and SSM about affirmitive action. It should go to the candidate that is most qualified regardless of race.

I get what you are saying, but there are always gonna be some knuckleheads in either race that are gonna do stuff like you describe.

I think what SSM and some others are getting at is institutional racism. Racism that keps people from getting jobs they may well be qualified to perform. Racism that garners them police attention when it is unwarranted.

That is a big difference in my mind from some punk calling me cracker out at a club. To me it might piss me off, but to a minority I could see being called something derogatory as kind of a straw that breaks the camels back. It would be pretty easy to run into what some minorities do and become bitter.

But that being said I agree with you and SSM about affirmitive action. It should go to the candidate that is most qualified regardless of race.

I agree too but if that "punk" tells his "punk" friends it can become a movement. Isnt that how Hitler started?

I agree too but if that "punk" tells his "punk" friends it can become a movement. Isnt that how Hitler started?

If they were in a majority I would agree with you, but as a minority they do not have enough clout to get a political snowball like that rolling.

After all those arians in Germany made up a huge majority of the population.

I guess it's true that racism *still* exists... but I hope the examples cited in this thread by SSM are off-nominal rather than the norm. I had this discussion with my wife (who is Korean) earlier in the year. She said there are times she feels like people treat her differently because she is Korean, and she couldn't understand why I didn't understand that. She told me that sometimes when we go out together, people treat us better than they way they treat her. I was a bit shocked, but I think if we don't live it or experience it, than it doesn't exist. Which is probably why white people are more shocked by what Rev. Wright said as opposed to black people. It's naive of us to think that racism doesn't exist, but I really do hope that at least for our younger generation it's less and less prevalent.

SSM asked up-thread about who watched the speech. In the semi-live thread I actually asked, when was the last time a major political candidate gave a speech on race relations? I don't like the fact that the dialogue and fallout of this speech isn't going beyond, "Hey, isn't it great that someone talked about this issue..." rather... "Hey, he's full of BS, he's lying, he's a hyppocrit, he's an empty suit...". Obama has to understand that white people cannot relate to the black experience... just like he cannot relate to the white experience. Because we've never had the experience of getting pulled over by the police or getting followed in a store. So we just think those things are folk-lore and don't happen anymore. When I watched it I thought it was a great speech, I think it was a good speech but there are a few points I wish I had heard.

Things that I would've liked to heard: While admitting there is black resentment, I wish Obama had talked about something that Jesus taught... "Forgive and Forget". I don't think it would be hard to put into the speech since he is talking about the controversy of his Pastor. Maybe he could've talked a little more about some of the positive messages that Rev. Wright has taught to Obama... something like the concept of "grace" in the Christian faith. That because we have received grace from Jesus, we are able to give grace to others when they sin against us. Now, it's probably the hardest thing to do and we can't expect people to act in this manner since not everyone is Christian, but Obama is a Christian so he can use his faith in this manner.

I didn't like him invoking slavery in the beginning and not linking it to the part where he talks about healing wounds and getting beyond the wrongs of the past and forming a better union. I wish he had somehow invoked Dr. King's vision of a world in which we don't see people by the color of their skin. I see he tried to say, "every race has to deal with the same hardships", but he could've emphasized that point more.

I also would've like to see him talk about not passing down one generation's problems to the next generation, trying to solve the problems in the best manner possible, talking about them freely and openly (his speech kind've implies he thinks this), rather than giving the burden and reminding our sons and daughters of the past.

Archived