Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sign Hackett And Look to Draft WR As Well

bulldog

If I were the Redskins in looking at the wide receiver position, I would see two potentially productive players if healthy in Santana Moss and Randle El and then a bevy of question marks, older players and injured players trying to come back.

The club has to start to develop depth at the receiver position and get younger here as well. McCardell (37), Thrash (34) and Caldwell (29) are more yesterday's news than today's or tomorrow's. Espy is trying to come back from reconstructive knee surgery and Anthony Mix is a raw player who should be in camp to compete for a spot, but hardly someone at this point to hang your hat on.

Hackett is an athletic player who is familiar with this offense and will add a size dimension that will help the Redskins, especially in the red zone. He scored as many touchdowns in a few games last year as our starters did in 16 games.

I would not limit our efforts to acquiring Hackett however. I would still go into the draft in April and target a WR with similar size and athleticism (a bit more speed) with a #2 or #3 pick.

That would give the Redskins a solid top 3 with a very good prospect coming in as the #4.

The last few years our backup receivers have been 10 years older than the starters. That has to change, we need to develop a pipeline.

Who do you suggest bulldog in the drafts. Are you concerned with the Redskins FO inability to draft a potential star WR like a Torry Holt, Fitzgerald, Plaxico Burress.

Lets just say that we dont bring in Hackett. Would the rookie immediately jump into the 4th role and have a big say maybe in the 3rd role if he performs well. I know Thrash would be the 3rd to start off the season if we only rely on a rookie WR.

I like Mix, but he hasn't showed to me at all that he can actually play offense. All we saw was special teams and expecting much from him is unrealistic

Definitely have to agree with you. I would like to go DE with our #21 and then WR with out 2nd rd. pick, whether we get Hackett or not

Would it be a waste to spend a 1st round if campbell, ellis and lawerence jackson are all still there at round 2. Harvey, Merling and Gholston will be taken before likely. Why would we reach on Balmer, who is rated as the 3rd best DT when maybe the best WR is available in Sweed or Kelly? Just proposing a question

I fully agree, and think that is what the Redskins will do too.

Personally, my dream draft would start off:

Brandon Albert at 21

Best DL available in 2nd round pick

Best OL available in 3rd round pick

Best WR available in compensatory 3rd round pick (and if we don't get that as our compensatory, take best WR with our regular 3rd pick)

Combined with bringing in Hackett, I'd consider that a very, very solid building off-season.

If I were the Redskins in looking at the wide receiver position, I would see two potentially productive players if healthy in Santana Moss and Randle El and then a bevy of question marks, older players and injured players trying to come back.

"the dan" can and should make it so. :cool:

Couldn't agree more. Hackett does have injury concerns, so drafting a back up with a 3rd or 5th would be a great plan of action.

So far we have Santana, El, Thrash, Espy, and Mix. Add Hackett and a draft pick, there's 7 WRs though, so I'm not sure who would go. I would imagine it to be either Mix, Thrash, or Espy. Tough call there, cuz Espy has shown potential, Mix and Thrash are special teamers, and both bring positives, as well as the obvious negatives. I would imagine it entirely depends on what type of WR we draft.

Assuming we do sign Hackett AND draft a WR, I would imagine the set-up would be Hackett/ Draft pick at WR1, Moss/Espy at WR2, ARE/Mix at WR3 and Thrash is the odd man out. I like Thrash, but he is getting up there, and having both a speedster and a big guy in the slot would be benefecial. Just my opinion though.

The club has to start to develop depth at the receiver position and get younger here as well. McCardell (37), Thrash (34) and Caldwell (29) are more yesterday's news than today's or tomorrow's. Espy is trying to come back from reconstructive knee surgery and Anthony Mix is a raw player who should be in camp to compete for a spot, but hardly someone at this point to hang your hat on.

Hackett is an athletic player who is familiar with this offense and will add a size dimension that will help the Redskins, especially in the red zone. He scored as many touchdowns in a few games last year as our starters did in 16 games.

I would not limit our efforts to acquiring Hackett however. I would still go into the draft in April and target a WR with similar size and athleticism (a bit more speed) with a #2 or #3 pick.

That would give the Redskins a solid top 3 with a very good prospect coming in as the #4.

The last few years our backup receivers have been 10 years older than the starters. That has to change, we need to develop a pipeline.

Totally agree with you dude!!!!!!!!!:applause:

i would much rather go after b. johnson. i think he is a future breakout player.

The major sell on Hackett is that he can be a possession end zone receiver because of his height and decent speed. Fairly young. But the selling point is he knows this offense. So he can translate the new terminology and plays to the other receivers.

Why do I have a very good feeling that James Thrash has a breakout season ahead of him? hmm..

When i think of Thrash I see a guy who's respected by his teammates for the amount of hard work he puts into preparing and the amount of heart in his game. Iit almost seems due-time for the one last, unexpected hoorah of his career.

Or perhaps its late & I should go to sleep. ha!

Sorry this was off-topic.. Im also sensing a new thread coming up ;)

Good discussion!

Its a total waste to go out and draft a WR so early, if we go out and get a #3 WR in Hackett beforehand. Lets let one of the young guys have a shot, and I can see one of the trio of Thrash, McCardell and Caldwell coming back. Im sure a lot of people would like to have 32 starting WR's ready to play at any time, but it comes as a detriment to the rest of the team.

And what do you base that on? Certainly not his statistics. Bryant Johnson has never even had a breakout game, much less a breakout season. I dont understand what some of you guys see in this player, other than a big WR. :rolleyes:

Well here is some stats to ponder-

Player Season Games Played receptions rpg yards td's

Hackett 07 .........6 .............32 ...........5.... 384.... 3

...........06......... 14............ 45........... 3.... 610.... 4

...........05 .........13............ 28........... 2.... 400..... 2

Avg for 3 years ...11............ 35.......... 3...... 465... 3

Johnson 07 .........16........... 46 ..........3..... 528.... 2

............06........ 16 ............40......... 3..... 740 ....4

............05......... 14 ...........40 .........3..... 432 .....1

Avg for 3 years .....15.......... 42......... 3...... 567.... 2

rpg=receptions per game

Seems like Johnson has played more games, and avg just as many receptions per game as Hackett, but he played behind 2 stellar recievers.

Hackett knows the WCO, and Zorn is familiar with him.

I would say it could go either way, but my choice would be for Johnson, mainly because of Hackett's history of injuries.

Brandon Albert at 21

Best WR available in compensatory 3rd round pick (and if we don't get that as our compensatory, take best WR with our regular 3rd pick)

Combined with bringing in Hackett, I'd consider that a very, very solid building off-season.

Jeez, would I LOVE to see this, trenches with top 3 picks.

But it'll be CB and WR, and hopefully a DL.

Brandon Albert at 21

Archived