Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sign Hackett And Look to Draft WR As Well

bulldog

As our picks stand now, if Hackett is signed then a WR won't be drafted before round 5. Even adding in the projected comp pick, needs on DL (we could really justify using two early picks here), OL, CB, and talented depth needed at LB,S,QB,and possibly FB preclude another pick at WR in the first three rounds.

Now if the team drops down and adds a pick or two, or if Hackett or another fa isn't signed then all bets are off.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'd like to see the Skins pick up Hackett and then take a page from Green Bay and Seattle by taking WR talent in rounds 2-4 in future years to groom in the WCO.

I just can't see Hackett flying from coast to coast unless they are close in agreement to what each other believe to be close in the numbers of a contract agreement, unless Hackett's agent is trying to drum up interest in him.

I fully agree, and think that is what the Redskins will do too.

Personally, my dream draft would start off:

Brandon Albert at 21

Best DL available in 2nd round pick

Best OL available in 3rd round pick

Best WR available in compensatory 3rd round pick (and if we don't get that as our compensatory, take best WR with our regular 3rd pick)

Combined with bringing in Hackett, I'd consider that a very, very solid building off-season.

Right on target, if we do end up with a Comp. 3rd round pick.

i would much rather go after b. johnson. i think he is a future breakout player.
And what do you base that on? Certainly not his statistics. Bryant Johnson has never even had a breakout game, much less a breakout season. I dont understand what some of you guys see in this player, other than a big WR. :rolleyes:

QFT - Bryant Johnson has proven diddly squat. He fizzled in Dallas, and hasn't done anything in Arizona.

QFT - Bryant Johnson has proven diddly squat. He fizzled in Dallas, and hasn't done anything in Arizona.

I agree Johnson hasn't done anything, but I'm not sure what you mean by "fizzled in Dallas"?

Johsnon had his share of starts when Boldin was injured. He never did anything impressive on the field. Hackett is impressive when he is in the field.

we have 4 needs upfront. young, excellent off lineman. we have a collection, of often injured off linemen now, and have to have some help, not backup, but, probably starting help. yes, a bigger, stronger, faster wide receiver that we dont have now. def end, or a backup def lineman from draft. last and not least either a corner or safety. should be some good ones available 3d round. hopefully, free agency can help with the corner or safety position.

I agree, sign one and draft one (though not necessarily with our 1st round pick).

Look guys, Jim Zorn is installing his new offense, and it will feature multiple wr sets.

Don't look for cooley, yoder, Lorenzo and sellers on the field at the same time, with tana all by himself at wr.

Think about the Seahawks the last few years, the way they spread it around . . . Deion Branch, Nate Burleson, D.J. Hackett and Bobby Engram.

Caldwell and McCardell aren't coming back. Thrash may be on the roster for teams because Danny Smith loves him. Espy and Mix have nothing on their NFL resume.

With Moss, El, Hackett and a rookie taken in rounds 1-3, that's a 4 wr group that can do some damage, and we need depth behind them.

I fully agree, and think that is what the Redskins will do too.

Personally, my dream draft would start off:

Brandon Albert at 21

Best DL available in 2nd round pick

Best OL available in 3rd round pick

Best WR available in compensatory 3rd round pick (and if we don't get that as our compensatory, take best WR with our regular 3rd pick)

Combined with bringing in Hackett, I'd consider that a very, very solid building off-season.

I like this plan, tho IMO, I would keep the regular 3rd pick as the best OL regardless of the compensatory situation. If Albert is off the board at 21 I would trade down and stockpile picks in round 2 and 3 as this draft is deep in that type of talent.

If we get Hackett, based on what Vinny has said, I doubt we go WR in rounds 1 - 3. Hackett would presumably solve one of our needs, but the draft will then have to take care of the others, namely Dline, Oline, CB, and QB. Vinny has stated previously that the Redskins will draft a QB. I don't think we can wait too long to draft a QB this year. There will be a pretty good prospect on the board when we pick in the second round, maybe even the third.

I would like to see us draft a WR even if we get Hackett, but I don't think it will be in rounds 1 - 3. After the second round, I'm not sure there will be a big difference between a WR you can get in round 3 or 5/6.

Hail,

H

I agree Johnson hasn't done anything, but I'm not sure what you mean by "fizzled in Dallas"?

Johsnon had his share of starts when Boldin was injured. He never did anything impressive on the field. Hackett is impressive when he is in the field.

QFI=QuotedForIgnorance.

Bryant has only been with one team, and that ARZ.

Whoops...confused him with one Antonio Bryant. :D

If we get Hackett, based on what Vinny has said, I doubt we go WR in rounds 1 - 3. Hackett would presumably solve one of our needs, but the draft will then have to take care of the others, namely Dline, Oline, CB, and QB. Vinny has stated previously that the Redskins will draft a QB. I don't think we can wait too long to draft a QB this year. There will be a pretty good prospect on the board when we pick in the second round, maybe even the third.

I would like to see us draft a WR even if we get Hackett, but I don't think it will be in rounds 1 - 3. After the second round, I'm not sure there will be a big difference between a WR you can get in round 3 or 5/6.

Hail,

H

Maybe. But I assume the qb we draft will be very late, and will be someone we think can be molded into a WCO backup (not a great arm, but accurate and makes quick progressions.)

How about this, assuming we sign Hackett:

1st -- Branden Albert, G, UVA

2nd -- Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana

3rd -- Jason Shirley, DT, Fresno State

3rd (potential comp) -- Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State

5th -- Matt Flynn -- QB, LSU

6th -- Gary Guyton -- LB, Georgia Tech

7th -- Matt Spanos -- C, USC

7th -- Marcus Monk -- WR, Arkansas

7th -- Punter to push Frosty

Maybe. But I assume the qb we draft will be very late, and will be someone we think can be molded into a WCO backup (not a great arm, but accurate and makes quick progressions.)

How about this, assuming we sign Hackett:

1st -- Branden Albert, G, UVA

2nd -- Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana

3rd -- Jason Shirley, DT, Fresno State

3rd (potential comp) -- Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State

5th -- Matt Flynn -- QB, LSU

6th -- Gary Guyton -- LB, Georgia Tech

7th -- Matt Spanos -- C, USC

7th -- Marcus Monk -- WR, Arkansas

7th -- Punter to push Frosty

Without knowing a whole about all the guys you mentioned (other than Albert and Nelson), I do like the positions of the players. Flynn in the 5th might be a reach, no?

I think we need to draft QB earlier. We only have two QBs right now and we can't take another chance on a guy like Jordan Palmer last year. We need to take a QB that has as little risk as possible to make the pros (I know they are all risks, but the later you draft a QB, the more the risk).

Hail,

H

Without knowing a whole about all the guys you mentioned (other than Albert and Nelson), I do like the positions of the players. Flynn in the 5th might be a reach, no?

I think we need to draft QB earlier. We only have two QBs right now and we can't take another chance on a guy like Jordan Palmer last year. We need to take a QB that has as little risk as possible to make the pros (I know they are all risks, but the later you draft a QB, the more the risk).

Hail,

H

Well maybe Colt Brennan will be there. Or Ainge from Tennessee.

With Jason as our long-term qb, and Collins the primary backup, I don't think we can justify taking a qb before the 5th round considering all our other needs. Whoever it is will be the 3rd stringer. In rounds 1, 2 and 3 we need ballers who will be able to help on day one.

It doesnt make much sense to me to spend some of our Salary cap on an often injured Hackett, and then spend more of our resources on yet another WR that wont even play much this year. Id rather spend the Salary Cap on a worthy WR like Boldin, and use the draft pick for a DB or O-lineman.

It doesnt make much sense to me to spend some of our Salary cap on an often injured Hackett, and then spend more of our resources on yet another WR that wont even play much this year. Id rather spend the Salary Cap on a worthy WR like Boldin, and use the draft pick for a DB or O-lineman.

Well I think you're talking about two different versions of "Salary Cap."

Boldin wants a new deal, and his cap hit would be very big. Hackett's, we assume will be smaller.

Plus, if you go get Boldin, you can't "use the draft pick for a DB or o-lineman" because you already traded picks to acquire him.

On top of everything, you said Hackett is oft-injured. We know Santana is as well. And Randle-el missed some games with injuries too.

So I think it's safe to assume that if we draft a reciever in round 1, 2 or 3, and that reciever becomes 4th on our depth chart, he will play.

Not only will he provide depth behind, tana, el and hackett (unless he beats them out and starts straight-up, which would be great), our 4th wideout, whoever he is, will play in Zorn's new offense with multiple wr sets.

And what do you base that on? Certainly not his statistics. Bryant Johnson has never even had a breakout game, much less a breakout season. I dont understand what some of you guys see in this player, other than a big WR. :rolleyes:

i not going by his stats. i am going by watching him play. he has made some impressive plays when i have seen him. :rolleyes:

Hackett would be a nice pickup if signed to a reasonable contract. That would allow the Skins some flexibility in the draft to get a WR if a good one falls.

I think Thrash will stay on. He played in a WCO during his three years in Philly (and caught 40-50 balls per year). He's shown that he can be productive when called upon (2TDs against Philly). McCardell was a temporary fix. Caldwell will have to show he can run crisp routes but he was productive for NE so I'm not sure why he never was used that much by the Skins. Anthony Mix is a big question mark. I hope he gets his opportunity to show his stuff in camp.

I'm guessing 6 WRs on the roster?

Well I think you're talking about two different versions of "Salary Cap."

Boldin wants a new deal, and his cap hit would be very big. Hackett's, we assume will be smaller.

Plus, if you go get Boldin, you can't "use the draft pick for a DB or o-lineman" because you already traded picks to acquire him.

On top of everything, you said Hackett is oft-injured. We know Santana is as well. And Randle-el missed some games with injuries too.

So I think it's safe to assume that if we draft a reciever in round 1, 2 or 3, and that reciever becomes 4th on our depth chart, he will play.

Not only will he provide depth behind, tana, el and hackett (unless he beats them out and starts straight-up, which would be great), our 4th wideout, whoever he is, will play in Zorn's new offense with multiple wr sets.

damn your rational thinking.... Good call.

Archived