Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Computer GEEKS I need your help!

81artmonk

I need some computer geek help. Mt computer is doing something wierd and I can't seem to fix it.

When I go in to control panels/security center/internet options

and I click on privicy so I can select which level I want my cookies at. I set it at Med/High since I have had alot of problems with tracking cookies.

Anyway, I set it, than click apply and close out. When I shut down my computer and turn it back on at another time or immedieately, if I were to go back into those settings it would say, "accept all cookies".

So it is basically overidding my settings. Any clue as to why and what I can do about it.

I have run numerous spyware scans and norton, and it comes up with everything being clean. I am sort of at a loss. Any ideas??

The term "Norton" could be your biggest problem.

Especially if you have Norton 360 or NIS 2008...A) make sure you hit OK insdie the browser settings but B) check your Norton product settings for cookie allowances...Cookies aren't all that bad and if your scans are clean then why worry?

Also, for future use, block unwanted/parasitic websites by altering your Hosts file.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

I make sure all my PCs have this hosts file.

It makes me happy every time I go to a website and I see a big 'ol "x" image where an ad would be.

Ad Block Plus doesn't even show you an X, most of the time i don't even know there are supposed to be ads.

Ad Block Plus doesn't even show you an X, most of the time i don't even know there are supposed to be ads.

I'm fully aware of this...but this also just completely removes downloading the ad in the first place it also rarely deters from the interaction, design, or other general value of a site. Usually when I get one of those red Xs, its a site I know that is cluttered with ads (ie: some filesites, and even some links you click to see a video that is posted on this board)

Hopefully the people who have responded with ideas and questions will help you get it resolved. I have never had a similar problem so I don't have any ideas.

But in regard to preventative measures...

I'll echo the sentiments for AdBlock Plus... though I'll add that I apply the EasyElement and EasyList filters. I'm not sure why they don't just come with the add-on since they're recommended and since it's easy enough to remove filters if you don't like it for whatever reason.

As for viewing the web, I like not seeing ads at all. I don't need Xs to let me know I'm missing ads. In fact I think it would bother me to see lots of red Xs on a site. :/ The funny thing is after running a browser with AdBlock Plus, you tend to assume that most websites are "clean". Then you hit them on someone else's computer and realize just how many ads are smothering the web. Eep!

As for cookies, I installed the Firefox add-on CookieSafe. Set it to block cookies globally, and then just click the button when you hit a site that you want to accept cookies from. You can mark it to accept, accept for session, or temporarily accept. Well, there are a slew of options but that's the simplistic way I manage it. Every once in a while I view the cookies on my computer but there aren't any surprises anymore. :)

That said...

Hosts File looks pretty darn cool. It has a lot of usefulness to it.

And try not calling us geeks

Yeah - let's be honest here. The title should be "I am a computer dumbass and I need help". :laugh:

If you decide to go to sites that install browser hijacks, at least be protected first, or know how to get yourself out of the mess.

Install a spyware preventative like Spybot Search and Destroy. Then tell it to block tracking cookies.

I hope you clean the malware/virus off your system that keeps putting that Stryper logo in your signature too. The guy that wrote that code must be one vicious you know what.

Yeah - let's be honest here. The title should be "I am a computer dumbass and I need help". :laugh:

If you decide to go to sites that install browser hijacks, at least be protected first, or know how to get yourself out of the mess.

Are you this guy?http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3912519731874447897&q=snl+it+guy&total=1254&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=5

Go here monk. http://www.techsupportforum.com

everything's free. I'm pretty sure I had this problem before, but it was a while ago and I can't remember what I did. You'll probably have to post a hijackthis log, and they'll tell you what to do from there.

As for viewing the web, I like not seeing ads at all. I don't need Xs to let me know I'm missing ads. In fact I think it would bother me to see lots of red Xs on a site. :/ The funny thing is after running a browser with AdBlock Plus, you tend to assume that most websites are "clean". Then you hit them on someone else's computer and realize just how many ads are smothering the web. Eep!

Its not as frequent as you think using that hosts file. Just you can notice it if you venture into a shady site (for example, sometimes I'll search for ecoupons or lyrics and those sites LOVE the popups and ads and if I wasn't safe about it, I'd probably get a trojan or something of the like).

Archived