Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we stay or should we go? Iraq

Koolblue13

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Assuming you are talking Iraq?

Stay...we have both security interests and moral responsibilities to try to determine a decent outcome.

The only way to justify pulling out is a complete change in foreign policy.(one that will be to the world's detriment imo)

I say GO!

Go forth and spread the Good News of Jesus that is! :D

Isn't that part of what we are doing?
Assuming you are talking Iraq?

Stay...we have both security interests and moral responsibilities to try to determine a decent outcome.

The only way to justify pulling out is a complete change in foreign policy.(one that will be to the world's detriment imo)

I'll fix that, yes Iraq is what I'm talking about.

As things appear to be getting better we should stay and see if we can finish the job:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/03/01/iraq.casualties/index.html

With that said, we should have clear metrics with respect to things getting better (e.g. fewer troops death, but also a way to rank the risk of the missions we are operating and the number of "high" risk missions). If things don't continue to get better, we should have a plan in place for our next move.

Don't leave right now, but don't stay over another year and a half. We should get out by the end of summer 2009. Just my opinion. Leave now, it could possibly be a disaster. Stay for as long as it takes (i've never heard anyone define "as long as it takes") and we are asking for more trouble at home plus a possible economic depression.

One thing I remember learning in my international relations class is that war in the short term is good for the economy and war over a long period is extremely bad for an economy.

Stay with conditions....

1. Give the Iraqis some serious deadlines/benchmarks to get stuff done but keep it SECRET so that the terrorists do not know.

2. Train, equip and assist Iraqi police volunteers and this time do not give up on the effort. We've tried this twice and failed at the cost of millions of tax payer dollars. Impress upon the Iraqis that they are the only ones that can secure their country.

3. Lock that lazy @ss Iraqi Coalition government in a room with no food and access to bathrooms and make them reach agreements that are best for Iraq.

I do not want to abandon Iraq but they are definitely on barrowed time as far as my money and patience are concerned.

I say stay in a peacekeeping role only, all elements of decision making and leadership need to fall on the shoulders of the Iraqis. We can have some people over there as a deterent and to let the government know we aren't hanging them out to dry, but for the most part US involvement needs to be limited.

In the late 80's there were roughly 1.5 million Christians in Iraq. Now, its under a million.

Christianity does not equate to peace nor does peace require Christianity.

Stay with conditions....

1. Give the Iraqis some serious deadlines/benchmarks to get stuff done but keep it SECRET so that the terrorists do not know.

How would we know they do not already exist? ;)

2. Train, equip and assist Iraqi police volunteers and this time do not give up on the effort. We've tried this twice and failed at the cost of millions of tax payer dollars. Impress upon the Iraqis that they are the only ones that can secure their country.

3. Lock that lazy @ss Iraqi Coalition government in a room with no food and access to bathrooms and make them reach agreements that are best for Iraq.

Could we try this with Congress? :cool:

I do not want to abandon Iraq but they are definitely on barrowed time as far as my money and patience are concerned.

Agreed,though I feel they are progressing fairly well considering.

Stay with conditions....

Then how do you know they won't just extend them if it doesn't work out? No public scrutiny.
Good idea. But I'm sure they thought it would work the previous times as well.
The old Jesse Ventura method. I like it. :cheers:

Christianity does not equate to peace nor does peace require Christianity.
No kiddin'. :)

That wasn't my point.

What I was trying to say was that the USA isn't trying to spread Christianity, which I thought Kool was implying.:2cents:

Then how do you know they won't just extend them if it doesn't work out? No public scrutiny.[/color]

Good idea. But I'm sure they thought it would work the previous times as well.

The old Jesse Ventura method. I like it. :cheers:

1. Congress will know the deadline and their will be an AUTOMATIC Money cutoff if the benchmarks are not hit. Make sure that lazy as coalition government knows this is it...no more long vacations while American troops are doing all of the heavy lifting and dying...screw that ****!

If the Potus wants to extend then he needs to go public and ask for it. He also needs to tell the American people what went wrong and why.

2. This time tell the Iraqis this is it...the last effort and if they do not make it work it is their country at stake.

Well, it is now 5 years into it, over $500 Billion dollars and nothing in sight in terms of us leaving.

If this is what was sold to us as a bill of goods, would you still feel the same way? For the people who support it, replace George Bush with Bill Clinton and have every single circumstance exactly the same, what would your opinion be? I know I would still like to get home, and take care of our own problems in the US without making more problems everywhere around the world, but hey that is just me.

I say we pull out with a transition of UN forces taking over the peace keeping duties in Iraq. This will leave a presence of security, while allowing the back door draft to end.

1. Congress will know the deadline and their will be an AUTOMATIC Money cutoff if the benchmarks are not hit. Make sure that lazy as coalition government knows this is it...no more long vacations while American troops are doing all of the heavy lifting and dying...screw that ****!

If the Potus wants to extend then he needs to go public and ask for it. He also needs to tell the American people what went wrong and why.

2. This time tell the Iraqis this is it...the last effort and if they do not make it work it is their country at stake.

I don't think Congress will be able to keep the secret much less the Iraqi goverment. I'd guess the Iraqi goverment is so extremely infiltrated with "terrorist" sympathizes that any effort to set a secret deadline w/ their knowledge and not expect for it to get out is ridiculous.

Like I said, I don't think our congress would be able to keep the secret. I'd guess it be a week at most until it showed up in the NYT.

Well, it is now 5 years into it, over $500 Billion dollars and nothing in sight in terms of us leaving.

Perhaps because we have no intention of leaving entirely for viable reasons of our own interests?

If this is what was sold to us as a bill of goods, would you still feel the same way? For the people who support it, replace George Bush with Bill Clinton and have every single circumstance exactly the same, what would your opinion be? I know I would still like to get home, and take care of our own problems in the US without making more problems everywhere around the world, but hey that is just me.

Yes, I supported regime change when Clinton proposed it as well.

Leaving and ignoring trouble spots is a recipe for simply more problems here.

I say we pull out with a transition of UN forces taking over the peace keeping duties in Iraq. This will leave a presence of security, while allowing the back door draft to end.

Good luck with that,the UN is content to allow the US to do the heavy work as usual.(unless there is a profit to be made :rolleyes: )

I don't think Congress will be able to keep the secret much less the Iraqi goverment. I'd guess the Iraqi goverment is so extremely infiltrated with "terrorist" sympathizes that any effort to set a secret deadline w/ their knowledge and not expect for it to get out is ridiculous.

I guess they are all around screwed then....maybe we should just leave if the "elected" government can't be trusted

Like I said, I don't think our congress would be able to keep the secret. I'd guess it be a week at most until it showed up in the NYT.

I doubt that seriously....

Stay with conditions....

You took my answer! :laugh:

In all seriousness, the corrupt govt/military needs to be straightened out. There needs to be benchmarks on when their troops take over. This will do 2 things: Get our guys out and show the world that we are not there to "take over."

Archived