Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

receivers from the jaguars (potential WRs)

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

Both Williams and Wilford are entering their 5th year in the NFL.

However, Williams is only 24 and could have another decade of decent ball still ahead of him, whereas Wilford is 29 and may only give us another good year or two.

I'd say Williams first, then Matt Jones (strictly because he's impossible to defend against in Madden lol).

Why are people obsessed with trading away picks?

I like Ernest Wilford from the Jags, but one of the reasons I like him is that he's a FREE AGENT! Don't you all understand that if we signed him, we could then draft another guy too at the same position if we really wanted to?

Besides, Wilford and Williams are basically interchangeable as players. In fact, Wilford has been the more consistent pass catcher over his career.

Jones was just a combine star, who never should've been a first round pick and maybe not a WR at all.

I like Williams the most if I had to pick.

You're absolutely right about Jones getting paid bc of his combine numbers. The guy was a first round pick. :doh:

If I had to choose between Wilford and Williams, I'd choose Bryant Johnson.

Why are people obsessed with trading away picks?

I like Ernest Wilford from the Jags, but one of the reasons I like him is that he's a FREE AGENT! Don't you all understand that if we signed him, we could then draft another guy too at the same position if we really wanted to?

Thank you Tulane! Resist the urge to trade away draft picks, it doesn't work!

I'd trade a low round draft pic (5th or below) for Williams. He's young and big and has some nice positives, particularly that he's young and doesn't have to go through that 3 year learning curve that most WRs go through. He could probably be a big impact this year, as opposed to any pic we drafted that low just being a situational player and special teamer (if they make the team).

wilford just signed with the dolphins.

so that leaves their WRs as Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, Dennis Northcutt, Jerry Porter, Troy Williamson.

theres no way in hell they keep all of those guys.

BLC, you have one continuous thread begging Vinny to keep all of his draft picks and now this one wanting one of the Jags receivers. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Wilford was the only free agent WR that they had and would not require a draft pick to sign but if we pursue one of the others we would probably have to get him for a draft pick...which do you want, keep the draft picks or trade for a Jags receiver?

If we are going to trade a draft pick or two for a receiver, IMO, we should go all the way and trade for a CJ or a more established receiver.

Did anyone stop to think that the reason the Jaguars acquired Troy Williamson who has questionable hands and Jerry Porter who has a questionable attitude and work ethic is because their current crop of receivers was just THAT poor? :D

Who wants the refuse of a team that lacked a consistent passing attack in 2007?

JAX's offense was based on what Taylor and Jones-Drew could do on the ground.

No, that was Williams.

Ah, you beat me to it, I am not against picking up Williams at all. He def. needs a little work, but he would be realtively cheap and he holds onto the ball! Does anytone have that catch he made while gettiong rocked by ST? It's when he took off his helmet afterwards and shook his head(as if to say......gotta do better than that.). Anyone that can take THAT hit and hold onto it is OK in my book!

None of these guys are worth a look. You don't grab poor WRs from a poor offense or are you guiys going to ignore the lessons learned from grabbing garbage off the 49ers on both sides of the ball?

I disagree. We can disect the Lloyd signing as much as you want here, but the bad part of the signing wasn't the signing itself, its what we gave up to get him - in terms of picks and money. We definately overpaid for an unproven player. Thats not to say we shouldn't sign unproven players (how else could we ever get steals in free agency?) we just have to do a better job of calculating their expected value to the team and not exceeding that by too much.

If williams is cut or we can trade a 7th for him, then I wouldn't be against it. If people are talking about trading a first and portis for him, then its just stupid. But we can't just make bold statements like you did and expect to get any better - cause then all we'd be doing is overpaying for proven stars.

At the start of the last season I read an article on Fox that said that basically unless they started producing then Williams and Jones were going to be labelled as draft busts. They brought in Northcutt for some veteran leadership and discipline in the locker room. Now optimism tells me that all they needed was a decent QB (Garrard) to make them look good and they couldnt get it done with (bust) Leftwich.

However when I get excited about us signing them I then have to think to myself, was the production the result of getting a superior QB or was it anything at all do with the fact that they might well be free agents soon.

I don't know enough about their team to comment further than that, and I sure would not like to make the decision but when it comes to WR's generally I do not want to see this team repeat its own mistakes from the past. I was admittedly reserved when we signed Moss (due to history of hamstring problems) but pleasantly surprised by his production since he has been with this team but him aside we have not had the best track record with our FA receiver signings.

yeah, reggie williams only "non produced" 10 touchdowns last year. hes 6-4, hes fast, hes young, hes injury free, and hes an endzone magnet. and its obvious hes fallen out of favor over there in jacksonville because theyre signing every WR under the sun.

no reason not to look into him if hes available.

He also only had 38 catches for 600 yards. It looks like he was able to get some scores because defenses were worried about the 2 RBs in the redzone. Kinda like Sellers here a few years ago. I wouldn't give up picks for the guy.

Archived