Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the HD directv thing a ripoff or is it just me??

81artmonk

I recently got Directv's HD package and I have to say, I'm really disappointed.

Most of the local channels are boxed in, which sucks!! One, maybe two if your lucky, premium movie channels are in HD.

Most channels that I watch aren't always in HD except in primetime slots.

Heck even the NFL network in HD is boxed in and not widescreen.

I have to say, we have all this technology and can't really use it or enjoy it becuase broadcasters haven't caught up or don't want to.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe ther are any NON-widescreen HD tvs. even the smaller ones are widescreen. yet local channels only broadcast in a 4:3 format which puts this square box on your widesceen HDTV. I just don't get it.

Well, 2 years I'm in for and I can only hope it gets better.

dude what are you talking about? of course you're not going to get HD content 24/7 from all channels...

as you mentioned, most primetime shows on local channels are all in HD 16:9 aspect ratio ... even the Today Show and Nightly News is broadcast in HD wide screen 16:9..

There are other channels that broadcast HD 16:9 content 24/7: TNT, Discovery, HDNet, HDNetMovie, etc... ESPN/2, Comcast broadcast most of their shows in HD...

if you're getting 4:3 aspect ratio for the non-HD channels on your TV, you need to setup the SD override on your Set Top Box (STB).. so that it would stretch and fit it on your wide screen TV... or you can let your TV do it..

sooner rather than later, you'll get more HD content than you would have time to watch... so relax

dude what are you talking about? of course you're not going to get HD content 24/7 from all channels...

as you mentioned, most primetime shows on local channels are all in HD 16:9 aspect ratio ... even the Today Show and Nightly News is broadcast in HD wide screen 16:9..

There are other channels that broadcast HD 16:9 content 24/7: TNT, Discovery, HDNet, HDNetMovie, etc... ESPN/2, Comcast broadcast most of their shows in HD...

if you're getting 4:3 aspect ratio for the non-HD channels on your TV, you need to setup the SD override on your Set Top Box (STB).. so that it would stretch and fit it on your wide screen TV... or you can let your TV do it..

sooner rather than later, you'll get more HD content than you would have time to watch... so relax

Ok, I agree that they may be in 16:9HD but watching them in a square box on my widescreen is ridiculous! I was told by DTV that it's the broadcast stations that do that and there is nothing I can do to fix it. Some put thier HD fullscreen while others put it in a small box

U want to know the definition of suck....get comcast HD for a while. When I moved I was forced to dump my direct TV and go with comcast. My life has been hell ever since. Just last night I had the direct TV reinstalled and im in heaven agian. The HD quality from Comcast is horrible while the direct TV HD is simply amazing. (Mitsubishi 60" true 1080p)run with HDMI imput.

That's an easy guarantee.

Keep in mind Direct TV has the most HD out of any company. Verizon FiOS will be able to compete with them by the end of this year.... and maybe DISH.

Guest sith lord

Directv has the best HD package of any provider. The only thing that sucks about the Directv HD package is that they charge you an extra $10 (boxing, wrestling) to see a PPV sports event in HD.

On a side note, The NFL Network is by far the worse HD network. Other than the handfull of games they televise, there's absolutely no HD programming on that network.

I've had so many issues with my DirectTV that I literally have them on speed dial. That reminds me, I have to call them again because I have some channels that should be a part of my package that are blocked. I have the choice extra with HD DVR and it tells me that the smithsonian channel is not purchased. Since when is THAT a premium channel?

The NFL package is cool and all but DirectTV SUCKS.

need more information.

do you have the hr20 box.

do you have a 5 L.n.b dish.

if the answer to those two questions is no then that is your problem.

i got the new hd dvr and a 5 lnb dish about 6 months ago and i have been blown away by there new programming.

it not only has a ridiculous amount of new hd channels the quality is awesome and because it has 5 satelites to look at i even lose the signal far less frequently, almost never infact.

i havent hooked up an internet connection yet for the new on demand service but with thousands of on demand programs even that looks awesome.

i cant begin to describe how much better my new reciver and dish are than my old one.

sattelite tv is like computers, if you dont keep up with the technology you will get left in the dust.

edit. i just counted and i have 15 premium movie channels in hd.

I've had so many issues with my DirectTV that I literally have them on speed dial. That reminds me, I have to call them again because I have some channels that should be a part of my package that are blocked. I have the choice extra with HD DVR and it tells me that the smithsonian channel is not purchased. Since when is THAT a premium channel?

The NFL package is cool and all but DirectTV SUCKS.

There is an extra HD package. It gives you MHD,Smithonian and a few others. The HD stations that don't have an SD mirror are part of that package.

I have had Directv since 3 months of their launch in the mid 90's and think their service is outstanding. You can also do almost anything on their website that you could calling them.

Sounds even simpler...

81 - Have you updated your channel guide?

For instance - 212 is NFL channel. If you just got HD, but didn't update your channel guide, your 212 is still the NON high def NFL channel. You need to go to your favs and make sure your turned on 212 NFLHD (You will see two 212 channels).

You need to do this for all HD channels.

Sounds even simpler...

81 - Have you updated your channel guide?

For instance - 212 is NFL channel. If you just got HD, but didn't update your channel guide, your 212 is still the NON high def NFL channel. You need to go to your favs and make sure your turned on 212 NFLHD (You will see two 212 channels).

You need to do this for all HD channels.

I have all the newest equipment. The dish the reciever and all. NFLHD sucks. Of all the channels, one would think they could broadcast full screen HD, but no, they have a small box with NFLNETWORK bars on the left and right.

The channels I do get that I do watch that aren't boxed out, I like. It's really pretty and crisp. But on the whole, HD programming isn't what it's cracked up to be.

Its only boxed in when you are on an HD channel that is showing a non-HD show. When scrolling the guide, if you don't see the HD symbol by the title of the show - then its not in HD regardless of whether you are on the HD channel.

Thats not Directvs fault, there just isn't as much HD programming out there as you would think due to the advertising for it.

Perfect example, the Terps basketball games are mostly shown by Raycom Sports on Channel 20. I can watch the game on HD20 but I'm still only going to get it boxed in, analog style because Raycom sports is too damn cheap to shoot in HD. Its the absolute worst sports viewing experience ever. All the games look like they are being shot from cameras created in the 70's.

i have dtv hd also, and dont be fooled by channels like tnt and tbs hd, cause most of the time, they stretch sd programs to make it fit the screen, and looks horrible. i gotta say also nflhd is brutal, at least they could shoot total access in hd, but no, we get the scouting combine in hd, what a joke. at least you have locals in hd, i think im gonna have to wait till they fire up d11 before i get hd locals. i wanna see what lost looks like in hd.

Its only boxed in when you are on an HD channel that is showing a non-HD show. When scrolling the guide, if you don't see the HD symbol by the title of the show - then its not in HD regardless of whether you are on the HD channel.

Thats not Directvs fault, there just isn't as much HD programming out there as you would think due to the advertising for it.

Perfect example, the Terps basketball games are mostly shown by Raycom Sports on Channel 20. I can watch the game on HD20 but I'm still only going to get it boxed in, analog style because Raycom sports is too damn cheap to shoot in HD. Its the absolute worst sports viewing experience ever. All the games look like they are being shot from cameras created in the 70's.

I hate say your wrong but..... NFLHD is hd and especially on NFL total access they place it in the box with the NFLHD side bars. When I questioned DTV about it, they pointed out that alot of broadcast stations do provide HD but not all provide fullscreen. case in point NFLHD.

Even last night. I watched my local station that was showing the laker game and pre-game was boxed in HD. than when the game came on, it went to full screen HD. Same with ESPNHD.

Listen to what RonBurgandy&Gold is saying. Yes, the channel is configured to broadcast an HD signal. However, for a program to appear in HD format (i.e., HD = widescreen) it MUST be captured using a high definition camera. Ergo, even though you're tuned into a HD channel, if the program was captured using a standard definition camera then it will appear in 4:3 (square) format.

The responses in this thread answer your question.

HD is in many respects a ripoff. At least what we are getting today.

No matter how many channels we all get. Until the day comes when the majority of the world is on widescreen sets, we will continue to get some boxed out shows, and some truly in widescreen HD.

As it is today, very few programs I watch truly come in widescreen hd format. Thankfully most of the football games i watch do.

I recently got Directv's HD package and I have to say, I'm really disappointed.

Most of the local channels are boxed in, which sucks!! One, maybe two if your lucky, premium movie channels are in HD.

Most channels that I watch aren't always in HD except in primetime slots.

Heck even the NFL network in HD is boxed in and not widescreen.

I have to say, we have all this technology and can't really use it or enjoy it becuase broadcasters haven't caught up or don't want to.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe ther are any NON-widescreen HD tvs. even the smaller ones are widescreen. yet local channels only broadcast in a 4:3 format which puts this square box on your widesceen HDTV. I just don't get it.

It sounds like you have some settings issues with either your tv, receiver, or both.

I'm not an expert though.

This should explain some of the rationale for the reluctance to shoot shows in High Def.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2008-02-17-reality-hdtv_N.htm

High-def reality programming a low priority

The number of homes with high-definition TVs is on the rise — and so is the roster of game shows and reality series, thanks in part to the recently settled Hollywood writers' strike.

But other than rare exceptions such as American Idol, few are broadcast in high-definition, in contrast to the rest of the networks' prime-time offerings.

Even though many reality shows would seem to benefit from high definition — especially exotic favorites such as Survivor and The Amazing Race— producers and networks do not see HD production as a priority. They say high-definition cameras are more costly and less reliable. Repairs and video storage on remote locations make HD a hazard, too.

The cameras "are not meant yet for that type of rough travel and the sheer cost," says Jonathan Littman, executive producer of CBS' The Amazing Race and president of Jerry Bruckheimer Television. "It's a pretty high escalation in our budget. It's not double at the moment, but it's hundreds of thousands of dollars for the total run."

HDTV not only packs up to five times the detail of standard definition, but it also makes the image widescreen, offering a broader vista for exotic locales. "I'm hoping if we're hanging around a year or two, it's going to become a real thing for us," Littman says. "There's not a show that lends itself more to being in high-definition."

As for Survivor, executive producer Mark Burnett agrees "that HD would be a nice addition to Survivor, but the show already has a high visual quality," he says via e-mail. "Even though many shows you are seeing are not post-produced or aired in HD, they are already being shot in HD. The costs of post-producing in HD are tending to drop, and probably not only reality TV will be in HD, but all programming."

Burnett has two new NBC game shows premiering this week, My DadIs Better Than Your Dad (tonight, 9 ET/PT) and Amnesia (Friday, 9 p.m. ET/PT), neither in HD.

Of more than two dozen reality and game shows now on prime-time TV, only two, Fox's American Idol and NBC's American Gladiators, are available in HD; a third, ABC's Dancing With the Stars, returns March 17. Most networks declined to comment for this story. "We're not ready to comment on future programming, especially not about high-definition," says Fox's Scott Grogin. "Ultimately, who knows?"

Although nearly all scripted series are broadcast in high-definition, it's not a requirement. As part of the government-required move to digital TV, broadcasters are required only to transmit digital signals, which includes standard definition.

One factor allowing networks to put off HD production is that only slightly more than 11% of TV homes, or 12.7 million, according to Nielsen Media Research, have an HDTV and get HD programming, though that figure is growing rapidly.

Other research sets the HD viewing audience at 15 million to 28 million. "It could take several years for penetration to grow to where it would behoove producers of reality TV to produce it in HD," says Scott Wilkinson of UltimateAVmag.com.

Added costs and hazards haven't stopped cable networks from diving into high-definition. The Discovery Channel is among several that have, in the past few months, launched channels devoted entirely to HD productions. Last October, Dirty Jobs joined its HD lineup, as will The Deadliest Catch when it returns in April.

"It's about being on a deck in the Bering Sea with those guys and seeing the waves come over the side and over your head," says Deadliest Catch executive producer Paul Gasek. "On a big screen, that experience isn't the same if the picture is not crystal-clear."

High-end HD cameras can cost $120,000, but smaller ones are dropping in price quickly, he says. "On a boat like that, if something goes wrong with one camera, you just have to have another one. It would be crazy not to do it in HD if you could."

Still, TVPredictions.com publisher Phil Swann expects networks to put off producing reality and game shows in HD until it hurts their pocketbooks: "At some point, if not already, the lack of HD will hurt the reality shows. More and more, HD owners will seek out HD programming."

I think, for the most part, all the shows that have legitimate added value with high definition ARE shot and broadcast in HD right now. Sure, it would be great if EVERY program was HD, but that doesn't make cost and production sense for TV studios at the present time.

As long as I have my sports and favorite prime-time television shows in HD, I'm a happy guy. Which means, I have no problems with the current line-up.

Archived