Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need advice...Going to Amsterdam and Rome!

skns4life

So two weeks ago, I decided that I wanted to actually go somewhere for Spring Break and not stay home and work extra hours! So, I decided I'd go to Europe! (Amsterdam and Rome)... I'm going with two of my buddies... I know what you'll say as far as what to do in Amsterdam, but I need specifics! Anybody ever been? Any advice!?!?! How about Rome?!?! Anybody ever gone and stayed at a certain hostel that you recommend? Any help is appreciated!! :logo:

As far as the more deviant tourism goes Barney's is about as good as it gets though a little overpriced. Coffeeshop is right next to a breakfast bar and as soon as you're done ... relieving stress a big ol plate of eggs and whatever else is put right in front of you. The Grey Area (closed on Mondays) is a hole in the wall owned by a couple of Americans which is a pretty cool place.

I went a couple of years ago when I was more caught up in that aspect of the town than I should have been. Enjoy that .. it can certainly be fun .. but don't just go get ridiculously stoned and think that's all there is to the town ... it's a waste. As far as more traditional tourism stuff goes the Van Gogh Museum and Rijk museum are pretty amazing. Ann Frank is interesting and cool but pricey.

Eat plenty of cheese and pastries in Amsterdam .. good stuff.

In Amsterdam you should reserve space at the Flying Pig hostel in the city.

Also, there is some spot nearby there that serves legit English breakfast and I highly recommend it.

The Van Gogh museum is worth the visit.

I was younger when in Rome but a tour of the Coliseum with an English tour guide is something I would definitely partake in.

my :2cents:

I went to Amsterdam in 2003. We stayed in the Red Light District, it was fun but annoying sometimes because people stand on the streets and try to sell you hard drugs like cocaine and acid, just ignore them.

I stayed at the Bulldog which is a chain of hostels/hotels in Amsterdam they have their own coffee shops in the building, but you def want to get out and check out the city.

If you're staying at a hostel try and get into the Flying Pig, it's where all of the young travelers stay and it's one big party, but you will prob have to reserve ahead of time.

Like someone else said go EASY on the space cakes. I had to drag my friend around the city by the arm because he ate more than one cake and sat in a coffee shop all day smoking.

Also, don't buy any prostitutes off the street, because they probably have something,prostituitions legal and they make the legal ones take STD tests, so that's the only reason for illegal hookers. Be sure to hit the Heineken brewery and the Van Gough museum and I haven't been to Rome.

Things to see in Rome:

Colosseum and Forum (You usually have to pay a bit to get into the forum, Il Coloseo is free) They are within walking distance of each other.

St Peters/Sistine Chapel, and just down the street from it, take a few pics of Castello Sant'Angelo.

The Spanish Steps (Scala di Spagna)

Piazzo Del Popolo

Fontana di Trevi (looks much cooler at night!)

The Pantheon

Rome is my favorite city in the world to visit, an absolute treat.

I'd highly suggest that you pick up Rick Steves' guidebooks. He has one specifically for Rome and one that includes Amsterdam.

His books are down to Earth, tell you what you need to see and what is overrated, and contain extremely practical advice like how to skip lines and where the clean bathrooms are (very important in Rome ;).

Just for example, there is always a line to get into the Coloseum (totally worth it). However, you can buy the ticket up the road on Palatine Hill, and go in the group entrance, totally bypassing the line. Saved us 45 minutes, at least, and he's got tips like this all over his books.

He also covers great places to stay and eat that are inexpensive and close to the local culture, and he does talk about hostels.

And yes, he's got tips for the coffeeshops in Amsterdam, too.

Get the books. You won't be sorry. Defintiely do his Night Walk across Rome. It takes you from the Piazza Di Popolo to the Spanish Steps (and past other highlights like the Trevi Fountain).

I could continue to rave about the Pizzaria Rusticas and Gelato stands (defintiely try the Gelateria on the Night Walk near the Parthenon), but I think that's enough.

I love Rome.

Oh yes... pack light and wear a money belt. Seriously. There are pickpockets everywhere in Rome, especially, but if you have your valueables tucked away safely in a money belt, there's nothing to worry about, as there's almost no violent crime to speak of.

Archived