Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need advice...Going to Amsterdam and Rome!

skns4life

Oh yes... pack light and wear a money belt. Seriously. There are pickpockets everywhere in Rome, especially, but if you have your valueables tucked away safely in a money belt, there's nothing to worry about, as there's almost no violent crime to speak of.

I can vouch for that. My mom got picked on the subway. But I don't think I head about any violent crime the whole time I was in Italy and I lived there for over 2 years.

The pick pocket thing is valid.

Put all valuables if possible in your front pocket if you can. Wallet, smokes, cash, anything important. If you are wearing a jacket make sure those pockets are empty.

When I used to smoke I put them in my jacket pocket daring someone would try to pick my pocket. They are clever and at times work in teams. The one who tried me were a male and female team. They target tourists because it is easy.

Just mind your surroundings if possible. It is hard to do when you are in a new place.

Put all valuables if possible in your front pocket if you can. Wallet, smokes, cash, anything important. If you are wearing a jacket make sure those pockets are empty.

They can get your front pockets, too. Wear a money belt. They're cheap, not at all uncomfortable, and allow you to safely carry vital items like a passport as well as your money and credit cards.

I also recommend packing light, though that's more of a personal preference. My wife and I got to Europe at least once a year, and we each carry only one carry-on size bag with us (no checked luggage). Have been for years. We got ones that convert to a backpack, and we carry everything onto the plane. The flexibility is fantastic, especially hopping on and off buses and other public transportation, especially important when doing multiple cities, like we like to.

Last summer, we did a trip to the Czech Republic, and toured much of the country. I can't imagine what it would have been like to haul luggage around, and on and off the buses.

Oh yes... pack light and wear a money belt. Seriously. There are pickpockets everywhere in Rome, especially, but if you have your valueables tucked away safely in a money belt, there's nothing to worry about, as there's almost no violent crime to speak of.

Good advice, I forgot to add that. It sounds ridiculous, to wear a money belt, but you'll be glad you did. Amsterdam is notorious for pick-pockets, so make sure to keep your money and passport on your body, not in you pant pockets.

My wife and I went to NY a couple of years ago and I wore a money belt. They're good. We're going to Peru in 3 weeks and the money belts will come out again. Put cash and credit cards in there and no one knows. Sad thing is, my wife says that in certain parts of Peru, I'll have to take my watch and wedding ring off. They'll rip earings right out of women's ears.

Thanks again everybody! Another question, where can I buy a money belt around here?

We get our travel gear online, but have also bought stuff at REI.

Make sure you spend a couple of extra bucks to get the silk-like one, the more plastic type can make you sweat.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived