Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft and Zorn/Cowher

RedskinsCampbell2Cooley

Pete Fiutak of CFN predicts we will take Campbell the DE from Miami, but below it says that "Several wide receivers will be very tempting, especially with a burgeoning QB in Jason Campbell needing pieces to play with. But new head coach Bill Cowher, uh, wait, it's not 2009 yet, uh, Jim Zorn, needs more defensive help. A more polished pass rusher like Phillip Merling or Auburn's Quentin Groves will be in the running."

Does anyone else think that Zorn will have one year to make or break his future here, and if he does not succeed Cowher will be givin a chance?

As far as the draft goes, we need to get Mario Manningham he is the next best receiver after Kelly from Oklahoma, the kid has blazing speed, and would be a great compliment to Santana.

apparently you guys are those who put so much emphasis on the combine, that you dont actually look at their performance in games. The combine does not mean anything!!! look at his highlights in the games he plays.
4.68 for a guy who's special attribute is supposed to be speed is not an emphasis, it's simple intelligent recognition. It would be one thing if he were a possession guy known for his route running, but that isn't the case. He is/was overrated and has now been exposed.

apparently you guys are those who put so much emphasis on the combine, that you dont actually look at their performance in games. The combine does not mean anything!!! look at his highlights in the games he plays.

Not to get into the whole "this conference is better than that conference" debate.....but he put up those stats against questionable teams to say the least.

Troy Smith had some pretty good stats didn't he?

Does anyone else think that Zorn will have one year to make or break his future here, and if he does not succeed Cowher will be givin a chance?

As far as the draft goes, we need to get Mario Manningham he is the next best receiver after Kelly from Oklahoma, the kid has blazing speed, and would be a great compliment to Santana.

I think it would be stupid to give Zorn one year to succeed. That would be typical Snyder though, so who knows. I say let Zorn play out his 5 years, unless he goes 3-13 for a couple of years straight.

Also, I don't know this "Manningham" charicter. Every time I read his name on these boards I think, Peyton Manning meets Randall Cunningham.:silly:

Not to get into the whole "this conference is better than that conference" debate.....but he put up those stats against questionable teams to say the least.

Troy Smith had some pretty good stats didn't he?

Stats can be misleading; just as much as old adages like ..."the SEC has a lock on talent." Frankly, there have been a large number of Gator and Vol flops at the pro-level, especially at the WR level.

I don't know how good Manninghom is, but whenever I watched him on televised games, he seemed to get open at the right times. Sometimes 'sneaky-quick' can work as well as 'blazing-fast' for getting open. Manningham seems to be able to make the catch under pressure too -- something many WRs don't.

That said, I'm not keen to have the Skins draft a rookie WR -- we've got other needs.

It's tough to predict what Snyder will do, but the thought has crossed my mind that Zorn might just be keeping the seat warm for Cowher. Then when Cowher takes over, Zorn will be the OC.

I'm not saying I think that WILL happen, but it has crossed my mind.

As far as Manningham, without knowing anything about him other than what I saw on TV, I like him. But 4.68 for a WR is not that great and if others say there are character concerns, then that would be an issue for me.

I'd be happy with either a DL or WR in the first round.

Hail,

H

Running a 40 yard dash has nothing to do with field speed. Nothing.

The question is did Manningham have speed playing for Michigan. If he did, then please explain how 80 yards at a combine then negates his speed? If he didnt, then he never had it.

It would be beyond foolish to declare a player slow because of his combine speed rather than what he did on the field.

If Snyder was so impressed with Zorn, and respected him, he wouldn't have done this as a stop-over. I think he'd have hired Williams if it was going to be a stopgap, or even Blache. I don't think you hire somebody with real aspirations of being a head coach only to pull the plug after a year. I think the media is just overblowing the whole Cowher thing, they made the whole thing up and are just hoping it happens so it feeds their egos. It could happen, but I highly doubt it.

Exactly. Running a 40 yard dash in shorts and a t-shirt with no defender on you has nothing to do with how you will perform in a game with full pads against CB's, Safeties, LB's. It also doesn't show your ability to find or create space and get seperation. Those are things only game film will show you.

Dont buy into the 40 time folks, its worthless. If thats the reasoning then S.Moss should be the best wr in the NFL. Speed isnt everything. Route running is more important, so is the ability to catch the damn ball. I hate the combine for this reason. It negates what they do on the field. I want football players not sprinters.

Pete Fiutak of CFN predicts we will take Campbell the DE from Miami, but below it says that "Several wide receivers will be very tempting, especially with a burgeoning QB in Jason Campbell needing pieces to play with. But new head coach Bill Cowher, uh, wait, it's not 2009 yet, uh, Jim Zorn, needs more defensive help. A more polished pass rusher like Phillip Merling or Auburn's Quentin Groves will be in the running."

Dan Snyder will look VERY badly if he does that. If he seriously wanted rid of Saunders then fine, but are you telling me he couldn't have given Williams 1 year as a HC? No Zorn gets at least 2 years, unlesse we go winless or some other very anemic performance. Snyder made this hire with a view to the long term and I think Cowher is out of the picture for good now.

Archived