Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft and Zorn/Cowher

RedskinsCampbell2Cooley

I hate the combine for this reason. It negates what they do on the field. I want football players not sprinters.
I'll say it more negates what they do in the eyes of the general public (i.e. us arm-chair GMs). However, I'd be willing to bet that any scout or talent evaluator will put more emphasis on game film....and even more so on their pro-day workouts. There are any number of things that can go into someone's 40 time at the combine. I would just dismiss this time as a fluke for now.

hey nightbird did you happen to see what Manningham did against the ALLLL MIGHTY FLORIDA GATORS!!!! AND THAT SEC.

Yeah, and I'll chalk it up to a fluke.

I'm not sure why you put that in all caps, since I'm not some "SEC fan" of any sort. I went Temple for pete's sake.

But it is the far superior conference, and Big 10 receivers have fooled NFL gms before.

I really don't want Manningham... I don't really like any of the top rated WRs this year. I'd rather get someone like Hackett or Stallworth in FA and then concentrate on other positions. I don't see any of these top WRs as being "special", but I can see lower round receivers turning into gems. I guess some may grow on me.

BTW, Manningham did get exposed (whoever mentioned it above). That bad 40 smells like Dwayne Jarrett.

For some reason, I don't think the Cowher Going to Washington fantasy will be played out. And that will really hurt the media's feelings. Zorn has got something that few teams have. A creative vision. He will move this offense forward because that is what he is good at. It may start off bumpy but I expect our offense to be exciting to watch.

Running a 40 yard dash has nothing to do with field speed. Nothing.

The question is did Manningham have speed playing for Michigan. If he did, then please explain how 80 yards at a combine then negates his speed? If he didnt, then he never had it.

It would be beyond foolish to declare a player slow because of his combine speed rather than what he did on the field.

What you say may be logical, but we both know that a 4.68 speed for a wide receiver is probably going to drop the player on most teams draft boards. :2cents:

I'll say it more negates what they do in the eyes of the general public (i.e. us arm-chair GMs). However, I'd be willing to bet that any scout or talent evaluator will put more emphasis on game film....and even more so on their pro-day workouts. There are any number of things that can go into someone's 40 time at the combine. I would just dismiss this time as a fluke for now.
The combine is for the coaches. The scouts already know most of the guys at the combine inside out. They have been watching them for years. NFL coaches have better things to do than scour college film during the season. But the coaches and GMs have a lot more input in player selection than the scouts, and they want to see and talk to these guys in person.

Of course they are steered somewhat by their own scouts recommendations. That's what the scouts are paid for. But if Manningham runs as slow as some TEs and Tackles, he better have a good excuse.

But new head coach Bill Cowher, uh, wait, it's not 2009 yet, uh, Jim Zorn, needs more defensive help.

Does anyone else think that Zorn will have one year to make or break his future here, and if he does not succeed Cowher will be givin a chance?

Give we give the cowher thing a rest already. At least until Zorn gets a chance. We could start 12-0 and after the first loss cowhers name would come out. I hope big chin signs with the cowboys so we can whip his a** twice a year

:logo:

The combine is for the coaches. The scouts already know most of the guys at the combine inside out. They have been watching them for years. NFL coaches have better things to do than scour college film during the season. But the coaches and GMs have a lot more input in player selection than the scouts, and they want to see and talk to these guys in person.

Of course they are steered somewhat by their own scouts recommendations. That's what the scouts are paid for. But if Manningham runs as slow as some TEs and Tackles, he better have a good excuse.

Maybe I should have been more clear then. I lumped coaches in with "scouts and talent evaluators". But yes, I do agree with you. As for Manningham's time, it could be something as simple as a poor start. I couldn't say for sure unless I saw his 10 and 20 yard splits. If his 10 is bad, but the time between 20 and 40 is good, I would chalk that up to a poor start and not think much of it. Not many WRs start off in the blocks like that ;)

Also, I think I read somewhere that Jerry Rice put up like a 4.6 or something, yet he was still able to get past safties and get good YAC when needed. (that 40 time is off my memory and could be wrong)

The worst thing we could possibly do is hire a new coach in 2009 unless we really start looking like the Raiders this year. The five year deal we gave him, I hope, is an indication that he will at least get three years to show us what he can do. I have high expectations for next season but I'm willing to accept 6-10 or better. If we somehow do worse than that, then we have to blow it all up yet again and I will probably have to check into a nice padded room.

First off. GW was fired earlier on. So GW would not be the head coach job after being fired. ANd second do you know who our owner is because that is something DS would do.

If Snyder was so impressed with Zorn, and respected him, he wouldn't have done this as a stop-over. I think he'd have hired Williams if it was going to be a stopgap, or even Blache. I don't think you hire somebody with real aspirations of being a head coach only to pull the plug after a year. I think the media is just overblowing the whole Cowher thing, they made the whole thing up and are just hoping it happens so it feeds their egos. It could happen, but I highly doubt it.

Archived