Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft and Zorn/Cowher

RedskinsCampbell2Cooley

hey nightbird did you happen to see what Manningham did against the ALLLL MIGHTY FLORIDA GATORS!!!! AND THAT SEC.

Actually, I think it was his teammate Adrian Arrington who was the brilliant receiver that game. Manningham does not seem that spectacular to me, and he actually looks slower than both Sweed and Kelly even though they are 4 inches taller and heavier than he is. I would even rather have Arrington than him, as the word is that Manningham's work ethic is crappy (this seems reasonable to me if he couldnt even be bothered to train hard enough for the 40 to get a time consistent with the other receivers his size).

And to the guy who said that the 40 has nothing to do with actual speed, I think you are mistaken. Sure there are players who run excellent 40 yard dash times at the combine who end up not being that great, but almost all of the widely recognized fastest guys in the league ran excellent 40 yard dash times at the combine. I think what you mean to say is that natural speed does not have as much to do with on the field success as it is made out to--to which I would agree. After all, Adrian Peterson and Michael Bennett are both really fast guys that ran good 40's but AD is a way better football player than Bennett.

And as for the OP, this Fiutak guy doesn't know what he is talking about and is just parroting the same stupid speculation that other sports writers are. Zorn is the coach, Bill Cowher won't get this job, and I doubt the Redskins pick a DL in the first round. Someone wrote a thread where they had looked back at Redskins drafts for the past few decades and came up with a stat where the Redskins had drafted only two DL in the first round in the past 25 years or something like that. Depending on how free-agency shakes out, a smarter bet would be that they draft a defensive back or an offensive linemen in the first round.

apparently you guys are those who put so much emphasis on the combine, that you dont actually look at their performance in games. The combine does not mean anything!!! look at his highlights in the games he plays.

The combine does not always mean anything. Look at Anquan Boldin. I believe he ran a slower 40 than the other guy. I'm not saying this guy will be a good WR in the pros, just saying the combine is not the end all and be all.

Cowher (.623)

Gibbs (.621)

Gibbs I (.674)

Gibbs II (.469)

research is good

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

---that being said, I still don't want Cowher. I did at one time, but not after hearing some of the things Zorn has said. I'm all for giving Zorn a chance.

There's only one stat that matters to me when it comes to Cowher and future success with any team not named Pittsburgh:

How many coaches have won a super bowl with one team, only to switch to coaching another team and then win at least 1 more super bowl?

Answer:

2. Dick Vermeil, Don Shula

2 out of 50 some coaches to coach the game. That to me makes it a bad decision to look at cowher because history would be against him.

Regardless if he is fast or not we don't need another 5'11 "speedster"...already have those. We need a possession receiver and an endzone threat. Someone that relies on his strength, size, and height to make the catch. Not just to get a good jump on the snap and pray that he gets a 5 gap on the corner. Fast and big would be great, but Colstin type receiver will be find with me gents.

Here's hoping we actually break tendency and go DL in the first round. There will be plenty of good WRs in the second who fit what we're looking for. As was said by several analysts on the NFL Network yesterday, none of the WRs this year should rate a first-round score. Several will go in the first round due to team needs, but none of these guys is a true first rounder. We have other needs and will be able to pick up a solid performer (my preference is Hardy) in the second round. I'm all for a DT or a guy who can play both DT and DE. :2cents:

If Snyder was so impressed with Zorn, and respected him, he wouldn't have done this as a stop-over. I think he'd have hired Williams if it was going to be a stopgap, or even Blache. I don't think you hire somebody with real aspirations of being a head coach only to pull the plug after a year. I think the media is just overblowing the whole Cowher thing, they made the whole thing up and are just hoping it happens so it feeds their egos. It could happen, but I highly doubt it.

I agree. The media seems to be in denial.

There's only one stat that matters to me when it comes to Cowher and future success with any team not named Pittsburgh:

How many coaches have won a super bowl with one team, only to switch to coaching another team and then win at least 1 more super bowl?

Answer:

2 out of 50 some coaches to coach the game. That to me makes it a bad decision to look at cowher because history would be against him.

Wait...Vermeil won a superbowl with the Eagles? That's news to me! :laugh:

Neither one of those guys won superbowls with more than one team; not sure where you got your stats.

Zorn was pretty clear that he wanted a big WR.

Actually, Zorn was pretty clear in saying we don't specifically need a big WR, I thought. :whoknows:

Answer:

wrong neither Dick vermeil never won one till he was with the rams

And Shula never one won till he went to the dolphins they both lost with their prevous team

I think it's sad, but Zorn probably has to go 8-8 or better to keep his job if Cowher becomes available and is willing to coach the Skins. We all remember how Marty Shottenheimer was dismissed after just 1 season, even with the Skins going 8-3 down the stretch (from an 0-5 start). I think the Skins are going to go DE in the first round, and draft Merling, Campbell, Harvey, or Lawrence Jackson. A (tall) WR can still be picked in the second round that has the capability of being a star, such as Arrington from Michigan.

Wait...Vermeil won a superbowl with the Eagles? That's news to me! :laugh:

Neither one of those guys won superbowls with more than one team; not sure where you got your stats.

Actually, Zorn was pretty clear in saying we don't specifically need a big WR, I thought. :whoknows:

Thank you.

LOL@ Eagles winning a Super Bowl.:laugh:

apparently you guys are those who put so much emphasis on the combine, that you dont actually look at their performance in games. The combine does not mean anything!!! look at his highlights in the games he plays.

Dude, if your running a 4.68 as a WR with NO PADS on thats a issue.

His stock has dropped tremendously (just another Mike Williams).

I think it's sad, but Zorn probably has to go 8-8 or better to keep his job if Cowher becomes available and is willing to coach the Skins. We all remember how Marty Shottenheimer was dismissed after just 1 season,

I think it's sad that you think that. Why go through all the trouble when Snyder could have just hired Fassel and fired him after one year or Gregg Williams and fired him after one year, if that is his intention? Why hire Zorn and let him hire a staff?

Snyder had patience with Spurrier for two years and Gibbs after 2 down years. Marty was let go because of his unwillingness to give up the GM duties after all of his gaffs and get a new offensive coordinator. Nobody remembers the several days that Snyder and Marty met after the season trying to come to an agreement, but Marty refused. He wasn't just fired on a whim.

Archived