Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Castro resigns as president, state-run paper reports

praise_gibbs

Who should be the Skins FS in '08?  

304 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the Skins FS in '08?

• Landry
    • Somebody from the draft/free agency

Its Illegal for American's to go to Cuba without a license. Going to a third country doesn't make it legal.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1097.html

Of course it doesn't...and I am very familiar with the law.

While it is illegal for me to go to Cuba to get Cubans it is not Illegal to have your ex-Army friend that is now a Canadian Citizen and flight attendant pick you up some Cubans when she can.

I go to canada to visit, pick up my cigars, pay a modest thank you to my friend, place them in a non-discript package with no Cuban labels and here I sit with plenty of Cuban Cigars...;)

My wife thinks he's dead. He hasn't been on TV in a while and all of his "official" quotes have been in the paper and websites. I think he died and they are covering it up to keep Cubans in FL unhappy and so the people in their country won't revolt.

He's been on Venezuelan radio with Chavez since he was last seen.

It could be a rouse but who knows.

As for Cuban-Americans in Miami, don't forget that in the announcement of Castro's death, the US will physically blockade the island to prevent them from going there en masse and "causing trouble".

The fact that Obama had this gem today to say about Castro just fortifies my belief that he is all charisma and no brains

Castro's resignation "should mark the end of a dark era in Cuba's history. ... Fidel Castro's stepping down is an essential first step, but it is sadly insufficient in bringing freedom to Cuba," Sen. Obama, D-Ill., said in a statement.

Really? End of a dark day? Essential first step? With his brother running the show since last year and still in power, the secret police still terrorizing dissidents, the peoples assembly still hand picked by the government and wealth and food distribution being funneled to the Government, their lackies and the rich European tourists while the common man, woman and child starve?

He might have tried to cover his ass with the last part, but this not the end of anything whatsoever. Raul Castro was always the hard line Marxist and as the head of the military and secret police was the man in charge of putting the boot to the throat of anyone who dared resist for the last 50 years. Fidel was more of the dreamer. Sadly nothing will change.

The fact that Obama had this gem today to say about Castro just fortifies my belief that he is all charisma and no brains

Really? End of a dark day? Essential first step? With his brother running the show since last year and still in power, the secret police still terrorizing dissidents, the peoples assembly still hand picked by the government and wealth and food distribution being funneled to the Government, their lackies and the rich European tourists while the common man, woman and child starve?

He might have tried to cover his ass with the last part, but this not the end of anything whatsoever. Raul Castro was always the hard line Marxist and as the head of the military and secret police was the man in charge of putting the boot to the throat of anyone who dared resist for the last 50 years. Fidel was more of the dreamer. Sadly nothing will change.

Exactly.....Fidel Castro resigning should not even make the news.

Fidel Castro dying is not even newsworthy.

The Song Remains The Same, in Cuba

Its Illegal for American's to go to Cuba without a license. Going to a third country doesn't make it legal.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1097.html

It's not illegal to travel to Cuba. The US is a free country. We don't forbid anyone of our citizens from going anywhere.

It is illegal to spend US money in cuba, or to spend us money towards a travel to cuba, even to trade US currency for Cuban Peso's.

So - If you can figure out how to go to Cuba and visit without spendning any money you earned in the US, you have that right.

BTW - If Flordia was a small state with 12 electroal votes, the embargo would have been lifted long ago.

It's counter productive at this point. Lift the embargo and Cuba would have open markets in less then 2 years.

Sorry but wrong answer. You start sending money to the island and the government will just get more cash flow and very little will trickle to the populace that isn't in bed with the Marxists in power.

Lifting the embargo is akin to giving a dying cancer patient chemo.

Sorry but wrong answer. You start sending money to the island and the government will just get more cash flow and very little will trickle to the populace that isn't in bed with the Marxists in power.

:rolleyes:

Oh, so what you're saying is we don't do business with countries that have corrupt govt's that keep the money and don't let it trickle to the populace?

Oh, so what you're saying is we don't do business with countries that have corrupt govt's that keep the money and don't let it trickle to the populace?

:doh:

What we do and what we should do are always at odds. There are times when our interests in other countries are conflicted.

This isn't one of them. Lifting the embargo does not benefit the US at all.

Yup - I saw how lifting the embargo in Vietnam really back fired. In fact - My old boss just came back from Vietnam, where he stayed at the shearton and ate at KFC and he was telling me how bad it was.... :doh:

Here is what we do know. The embargo has been in place for almost 50 years. During that, Castro became the longest political leader in our era. The people, for the most part, rallied with him against the US, who was seen as a bully. And after 50 years, his goverment is now one of the last standing communist nations.

But your right - The plan is working great.

Yup - I saw how lifting the embargo in Vietnam really back fired. In fact - My old boss just came back from Vietnam, where he stayed at the shearton and ate at KFC and he was telling me how bad it was.... :doh:

Here is what we do know. The embargo has been in place for almost 50 years. During that, Castro became the longest political leader in our era. The people, for the most part, rallied with him against the US, who was seen as a bully. And after 50 years, his goverment is now one of the last standing communist nations.

But your right - The plan is working great.

Vietnam isnt in our backyard is it? You let a Marxist regime 90 miles off your shore get a breath and start living again and youre looking at Venezuela having a partner to spread their crap further into SA and the rest of the region.

Add to the fact that Venezuela is already drilling for oil for Cuba off their own shores.

We need less of these regimes, not more. And yes the plan is working. No one ever said that this was going to be quick and reform is near impossible with the government oppression as it is. Again, all that new money on the island will do is boost the government, their cronies, the drug dealers and the military.

Archived