Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Castro resigns as president, state-run paper reports

praise_gibbs

Who should be the Skins FS in '08?  

304 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the Skins FS in '08?

• Landry
    • Somebody from the draft/free agency

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/02/19/castro/index.html

(CNN) -- Fidel Castro announced his resignation as president of Cuba and commander-in-chief of Cuba's military on Tuesday, according to a letter published in the state-run newspaper, Granma.

art.castro.jpg

Ailing Cuban leader Fidel Castro was seen on Cuban television in September 2007.

corner_wire_BL.gif

Castro, 81, temporarily handed power to his younger brother Raul Castro in July 2006 after undergoing intestinal surgery. He hasn't been seen in public since his surgery, but he has appeared in numerous videos and photos in state media.

In December 2007, a Cuban television news anchor read a letter reportedly written by Fidel Castro promising he would not "cling to office" or be an impediment to rising young leaders.

Castro took power in Cuba in 1959 and has ruled the island nation ever since, governing the first communist nation in the Western Hemisphere.

Fidel Castro captured the world's attention and imagination at 32 when the bearded revolutionary led a band of guerillas that overthrew a corrupt dictatorship -- and then became an irritating thorn in Washington's paw by embracing communism and cozying up to the Soviet Union.

For the next 47 years, Castro reigned in Havana with an iron hand, outlasting nine American presidents and defying a punishing U.S. economic embargo designed to dislodge him

I will be honest. I thought he was dead already! :laugh:

I never thought of that, I guess I always figured Canada was too far out of the way to make it worthwile.

However, I did buy some Cuban cigars in Vancouver a few years ago that has to count for something.:)

Personally I have never been, but I know a few people that have and they say it's amazingly beautiful. And some Cuban cigars are good, but sometimes quite bitter. And yes, that counts as much as me having Chinese food last week. :laugh:

How long do you think it will take before the GOP is claiming they defeated Castro like Reagan won the cold war all by himself?:rolleyes:
Well considering the fact that Castro's dictatorial regime has lasted over the term of ten US Presidents (four were Democrats) and that he is dying of bad health instead of economic implosion, somehow I doubt it. Mikhail Gorbachev is still alive. I don't see the comparison. :whoknows::)

Well considering the fact that Castro's dictatorial regime has lasted over the term of ten US Presidents (four were Democrats) and that he is dying of bad health instead of economic implosion, somehow I doubt it. Mikhail Gorbachev is still alive. I don't see the comparison. :whoknows::)

You are absolutely right that it makes no sense and that is why it will happen.

:D

Or you can go to Canada...

Canada has no Cuba restrictions and I get them all of the time. I place them in a non-descript box after I buy them and bring them across the border with no problem.

:D

Its Illegal for American's to go to Cuba without a license. Going to a third country doesn't make it legal.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1097.html

Archived