Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Family vacation....... UK ?

Pete

Well, it's that time of the year for me to plan a family vacation. I'm think on the UK. I'm looking for input on what ther is to do / see beyong the normal touristy stuff. I'm open to suggestions in England, Scotland, Iraland.

We'll should have about 7 full days ...........

:cheers:

My parents and I went to the UK two (or three?) years ago. I would highly suggest taking a bus tour complete with a walkthrough of the castle in Edinburgh, Scotland. It's an incredibly beautiful city, and the view from the castle is stunning.

I was kind of disappointed in London. It was kind of boring, and there wasn't much to do aside from the obvious sites (London Bridge, London Eye, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square).

If I remember anything else from our trip I'll update.

Before you get too deep into planning you owe it to yourself to do a quick check on what the current awful dollar/pound exchange rate will do to your budget.

What are the ages in your party? Will you be going during school holidays? Flights can be a third of the price outside of school holidays.

If it's a first trip and you like history, London is probably where you want to spend some of your time: Take an open topped bus tour, see the tower of London, Buck Palace, Trafalgar Square, Covent Garden market, the main museums including the Imperial War Museum, St Paul's Cathedral etc.

A few hours drive from London South West is the Royal Dock at Portsmouth. HMS Victory and other restored battleships. Again great for the history buff. http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/

Oxford is an hour to the west - just walk around the town center and visit some colleges.

Stratford is about an hour and a half away to the North West if you fancy some Shakespearean history. And close to there is Warwick Castle, a restored medieval fortress with activities such as jousting archery etc. http://www.warwick-castle.co.uk/

There's a lot of historic buildings available in that area to visit including Sulgrave Manor where George Washington's family came from: http://www.sulgravemanor.org.uk/

Before you get too deep into planning you owe it to yourself to do a quick check on what the current awful dollar/pound exchange rate will do to your budget.

I was gonna say the same thing. Maybe this year is the time to see the Grand Canyon, or something else in the 50 states :)

Pete, if you go, have an outstanding time! I'm jealous, I've always wanted to spend a week or 3 in England

Hadn't thought about the exchange rate........... Could be a kink in the plans.

I wanted to do something special this year. With My daughter being 15, she's getting to the age on not wanting to hang with her parents, so the prospect of family vacations is getting less and less.

We shall see......

My parents and I went to the UK two (or three?) years ago. I would highly suggest taking a bus tour complete with a walkthrough of the castle in Edinburgh, Scotland. It's an incredibly beautiful city, and the view from the castle is stunning.

I was kind of disappointed in London. It was kind of boring, and there wasn't much to do aside from the obvious sites (London Bridge, London Eye, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square).

If I remember anything else from our trip I'll update.

I have to second this. Was a little disappointed with London, but if you go and don't make Edinburgh part of your trip, you are really cheating yourself.

I have to second this. Was a little disappointed with London, but if you go and don't make Edinburgh part of your trip, you are really cheating yourself.

I'm surprised. Dependent on age at the time, I could understand getting bored standing in line with other American toursists looking at old buildings, but there's so much more in London. In particular, the markets and museums are great.

Skip Tower Bridge unless you cross it heading somewhere else.

Edinburgh is nice, particularly the castle, but it is worth an afternoon and not a lot more. But if you chose Scotland as your base you could tour some of the countryside including a few good ruins. There's more 'restored' history in England if you'd rather look at complete buildings.

The English countryside to the north and west of Oxford is great - very pretty Cotswold villages as well as Stratford on Avon (Shakespeare), Warwick (Medieval Castle), Cirencester (Roman Ruins), Bath (Roman & Victorian), etc.

I'm surprised. Dependent on age at the time, I could understand getting bored standing in line with other American toursists looking at old buildings, but there's so much more in London. In particular, the markets and museums are great.

Edinburgh is nice, particularly the castle, but it is worth an afternoon and not a lot more. But if you chose Scotland as your base you could tour some of the countryside including a few good ruins. There's more 'restored' history in England if you'd rather look at complete buildings.

The English countryside to the north and west of Oxford is great - very pretty Cotswold villages as well as Stratford on Avon (Shakepseare), Warwick (Medieval Castle), Cirencester (Roman Ruins) Bath (Roman & Victorian), etc.

It's probably just the type of person I am. I spent a few days in both and felt much more emotionally connected to Edinburgh. I sort of felt like London was overly "touristized." Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I went and I would go again, but there are many other places I would go again first. By the time I left London, I was ready to go, but when it came time to leave Edinburgh, I felt that I wished I could have stayed longer. However, a word of warning, Edinburgh hotel rooms are like match boxes.

The English countryside to the north and west of Oxford is great - very pretty Cotswold villages as well as Stratford on Avon (Shakespeare), Warwick (Medieval Castle), Cirencester (Roman Ruins), Bath (Roman & Victorian), etc.

At the time I went, I was around 20 years old (I forget now). Now, I'm a pretty big museum fanatic, and I love attractions. But for some reason, my experience with London was underwhelming. I actually thought that my tour of London Bridge and the Tower was the best part of my time there.

I would agree that Edinburgh can be thoroughly enjoyed in around a day. My parents and I stayed 2 nights and one day at Edinburgh, and we thought we spent enough time there.

I also have to qualify my earlier statement about London being disappointing. I think looking back, that my disappointment of London was only a relative feeling. London was the last stop on our trip, and we had already seen Paris, Nice, Monte Carlo, Brussels, and some other great cities. London was by far the least impressive of all those cities. I think if I had only gone to London and not the other cities, it would have been more impressive.

You know where you should really go that's cheap? Istanbul. It's dirt cheap there, or it was when I was there a few years ago. You could spend a week there and not get bored. There are tons of attractions: Topkapi palace, Aya Sofia, the Blue mosque, the spice market, the grand bazaar, museums upon museums. The food is excellent. The mixture of modern architecture and centuries old structures is unlike any other place in the world. Turkey as a whole is a pretty amazing country. You could spend an entire day shopping the markets alone and an entire day in the palace alone. You could try to turn it into a trip across the country and if so, consider hitting Izmir, Cappochia and Kiskalesi.

istanbul.jpg

Istanbul

IzmirKusadasi.jpg

Izmir

02Cap.JPG

Cappadochia (those are ancient houses, dude)

14159086.jpg

kiskalesi

Wow...I had a blast in London. Its one of the more fun cities I've been too, actually. Tons of pubs, sights, and "friendly" people. :)

Don't know why, but Pete headed to Europe just made National Lampoons European Vacation pop into my head! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
London was the last stop on our trip, and we had already seen Paris, Nice, Monte Carlo, Brussels, and some other great cities. London was by far the least impressive of all those cities. I think if I had only gone to London and not the other cities, it would have been more impressive.

The original post reminded me of the Griswald's and also another comedy about American tourists visiting Europe ... "If it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium". It's worth a look, if not quite the classic that is European Vacation.

We've been to both London and Ireland. Ireland is nice. The Ring of Kerry, the Cliffs of Mohr, Dublin, etc. I'd go there again before I went back to London. How old are your kids and what are their interests? They might find more interesting things in London/England. Also, something to think about is that if you go to London you could make a mini-trip through the Chunnel to France.

Don't know why, but Pete headed to Europe just made National Lampoons European Vacation pop into my head! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

You weren't the only one.

Look kids, it's Big Ben............

Look kids, it's Big Ben...........

Look kids, it's Big Ben..........

Look kids, it's Big Ben...........

Look kids, it's Big Ben............

Hey............. what was that...........
...Parliament.
You all never saw Chevy Chase in National Lampoon's European Vacation ?

The family's car was stuck in a roundabout, hence the repetition :)

Pete,

your timing is perfect, The 101st annual Isle of Man TT race week is May 31st-June 6th. Mrs. C and I will be there all week at a timeshare resort in Port Erin.

I've got an extra bedroom (2br/2ba waterfront condo) but that won't work for you if you bring the kids. But who cares get you own place and enjoy 7 days of the best roadracing ever. + 4 days of sidecar racing. No need to tell the family about the TT, just show them the second link :silly:

We'll be spending a couple days in northern england/scottland before ferrying over to Dublin for 2 days and then to IOM for 7 more days.

[/url]

http://www.iomtt.com/

http://www.isle-of-man.com/

edit: I even found a place for you http://www.iomtt.com/Home/Forum/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=97423 :laugh:

Yeah, I'm sure mom and the kids would enjoy standing on the side of narrow two-lane country roads while amateurs pass by at 200mph. :laugh:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/06/01/the_most_dangerous_sporting_ev.html

That's what the stone walls lining both sides of the road are for :doh: :silly:

The place is legandary, who wouldn't want to see racer like this guy

"But of all the greats, one stands taller than the rest. Joey Dunlop won a staggering 26 races at the TT. He was so obsessed with the event that he turned up in 1989 on crutches, determined to race until organisers forbade it. A phenomenal racer, he was a man who never lost sight of life outside sport, and three times drove his own van to eastern Europe to deliver aid to stricken peoples. He died at a road event in Estonia in 2000 where there had been no fatalities since 1961. He was, of course, leading at the time"

the above is further proof that nascar drivers are pu$$ys :D

Archived