Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marcus Mason Signing, what does it mean for Rock?

Veretax

Physically Mason wasn't a fit for our previous power based run game, which shows his talent level by the mere fact we kept him around.

Now our O is likely to be a WCO hybrid it is not inconceivable that he would move up the depth chart, above Rock for sure. Maybe Betts too based on the possibility of getting a low draft pick/trade involving him.

Neither Betts nor Rock are going to usurp CP talent wise so IMO it is time we blooded another young RB. Doesn't mean we have to get rid of Rock altogether (assuming he doesn't get a better offer elsewhere), or even Betts, but we do need to look at getting Mason some game time. The way to do that initially is kick off returns.

Hmm.

Maybe Betts + low round pick for Roy Williams or Chad Johnson?

I know Detroits ground game blows, and Betts would like to opportunity to start.

Unless Mason is an equivalent route runner/pass catcher as Betts, don't expect Betts to be shopped.

I know i hve radical ideas and points of view, but i kinda feel Rock delivers similer on field product as Betts for a fraction of the cost. Rock is to Betts, what Betts is to Portis. Comperable production at half the cost. I think Rock makes Betts expendible and provides Mason th e oppritunity to take Rocks spot this year. Again, thats just my two cents.

How about it doesn't mean anything other then he is coming to camp next season.

Exactly. It never ceases to amaze me how people here can take a non-story and run with it. You bring what, 85 men to training camp? Mason may or may not make the team, but to make a big deal out of this is laughable. He was on our practice squad. OF COURSE we're bringing him to camp.

It means he's gone, hopefully.

One player is a great special teamer who as a running back fumbles and shows little explosiveness.

One is a young, unknown running back who has shown great potential, but may be too small, or just not pan out.

This is probably just insurance in case Rock leaves, but that aside, I want to be the type of team that takes chances on promising young players. Get rid of Betts or Cartwright, give Mason a chance. If Mason fails, give someone else young and promising a chance. This should be our philosophy except in rare cases (#2 QB, etc.).

Once again, I don't get the Mason man-crush phenom. The guy isn't powerful enough to run between the tackles, and is way way too slow to be a perimeter runner or KR. A guy performs competently against 4th stringers in the preseason, and suddenyl everyone breaks out the anointing oil. Mason is practice squad material at best.

I love Rock, but I think its time we give guys like Westbrook, Torrence, and Mason a shot returning kicks. Rock definitely hits the holes and was successful, but the speed isnt there.

As much as I want us to keep Rock, it's not fair to keep a guy down. If he wants more chances as a RB, I dont see him staying here any longer.

Exactly. It never ceases to amaze me how people here can take a non-story and run with it. You bring what, 85 men to training camp? Mason may or may not make the team, but to make a big deal out of this is laughable. He was on our practice squad. OF COURSE we're bringing him to camp.

Bear in mind, that I've only been on site for a bout 14 months now. Even wheN I lived in Fort Ashby, WV, it was slim pickens on information about how football teams like the Redskins work. I posted this to try and get a better understanding for how this affects things. If it means nothing as you say, then I'm fine with it, but I really was curious about it. If it had been a different player or a different position, I likely would not have cared. I'm sorry if I offended your sensibilities, but I'm only human here, and seeking to understand more how things work.

In terms of Rock, it means the same-old, same-old.

:fortune: I see multiple repeat threads over the offseason calling for Rock to be replaced with a younger more agile player and many counter posts arguing the fact that Rock has performed well and thus doesn't need replaced.:fortune:

Overall the move means absolutely nothing.

Nothing to see here. Move along, move along.

Bear in mind, that I've only been on site for a bout 14 months now. Even wheN I lived in Fort Ashby, WV, it was slim pickens on information about how football teams like the Redskins work. I posted this to try and get a better understanding for how this affects things. If it means nothing as you say, then I'm fine with it, but I really was curious about it. If it had been a different player or a different position, I likely would not have cared. I'm sorry if I offended your sensibilities, but I'm only human here, and seeking to understand more how things work.

I understand Veretax, and my reply was directed more at the people who responded than it was at you. You made it clear that you didn't know what the move meant, and you were just asking the question.

My frustration was with the posters who started drawing ridiculous conclusions from the move.

It's entirely possible that Mason will ultimately make the team, but this move in and of itself means nothing. It merely means we're bringing him to camp, which we did in 2007 too. It doesn't mean any more now than it did then. We'll be bringing lots of guys to camp, but lots of them won't make the team.

We didn't keep Gibbs' guys on the coaching staff. Why would anyone think the Skins would keep his players? I would be shocked to see Brunell, Thrash and Rock on the roster opening day.

Also, since Vinny has roster control, he will want to keep his new acquistions on the team.

Once again, I don't get the Mason man-crush phenom. The guy isn't powerful enough to run between the tackles, and is way way too slow to be a perimeter runner or KR. A guy performs competently against 4th stringers in the preseason, and suddenyl everyone breaks out the anointing oil. Mason is practice squad material at best.

How do you know? I hate when people say that he was going up against 4th stringers on defense. Well he also had 4th stringers blocking for him. I think Mason has got some potential.

Solely based on what I saw last preseason, I want Mason over Cartwright. I honestly think he could platoon with Portis and ultimately replace him. The Giants, Packers, Steelers, Jaguars, Raiders, and many other teams have shown that you do not have to have a top-flight running back to get production out of the position. Running back is about drive, which Mason has plenty of. Watching Ahmad Bradshaw in the Super Bowl just not go down against the Patriots really made me want us to get some fresh blood in the backfield. See ya, Rock. I loved you when you were fullback and converted all those 3rd downs for us. Now, we don't need you, and you don't need us.

We carried all four RBs into week 1 before we bumped Mason back down the practice squad to make room for depth after all the injuries. I'm actually surprised we were able to keep him on the PS for the remaining 15 games.

It could mean more of the same, or it could lead to competition in preseason again. I think we actually had five or six RBs last offseason.

from This thread already on site

They state that Marcus Mason was signed to our "Off Season" Roster (I don't know what this means, can someone explain that for me please? And second, does this signing perhaps indicate that we may not resign Rock right away?

(PS Did a search, no talk about this anywhere.)

Not this year anyway, but look up around may-june of 2007 and you'll see how this guy (Mason) was going to take Rocks job, and in 2006, 2005 except it was some other camp fodder taking it back then!!

I like the fact that Rock isn't too fast or agile on KR. Those guys (probably with the exception of Devin Hester) try to do too much, dance around and all that good stuff. When guys with vision just run straight toward the hole instead of trying to make every kickoff return a home run, they usually beat the pure speed guys.

I think Mason's insurance. Betts just didn't do that well last year and you never know when someone on the RB depth chart (or on ST) will go down. I think they're going to give Mason a shot to directly compete against Cartwright on the depth chart. The guys are roughly the same size and the same speed (Mason might have a step...maybe). I don't think he's quite starter potential, but I like his style. If we develop him, I'd have no problem using the guy as a secondary back if either Portis or Betts went down. He'll probably spend another year on the PS, though, just to be there in case something happens.

How do you know? I hate when people say that he was going up against 4th stringers on defense. Well he also had 4th stringers blocking for him. I think Mason has got some potential.

Easy - He couldn't break tackles, and I constantly saw him being caught from behind by LBs and even DEs. There were a number of plays where the holes were there, and several things were quite evident:

1. He does have excellent vision. I have to give him that - no Skip Hicks disease.

2. He's slow.

3. He's not a power runner.

Basically, he's too much of a tweener - not strong enough to move the pile, and way too slow to move around it. Rock is both quicker AND stronger. There's no comparison.

Mason showed a flash of talent last preseason. I'm intrigued by his potential...

That said, Rock has established himself as a quality, low budget special teams leader.

Yeah, but Rock is a FA, and he's looking at his remaining 'value' years and maybe he doesn't want to be 'budget' anymore. I think you may see a team like the Giants make a play for Rock.

Archived