Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marcus Mason Signing, what does it mean for Rock?

Veretax

I'm much more excited about Mason as a prospect than I am about Rock. Rock had a good kick return average this year but I was never really impressed with what he did there, or at the runningback position. Mason has a lot more potential and it would be nice to see him get a shot at both positions.

I'm much more excited about Mason as a prospect than I am about Rock. Rock had a good kick return average this year but I was never really impressed with what he did there, or at the runningback position. Mason has a lot more potential and it would be nice to see him get a shot at both positions.

Uh oh. Be ready for some claws. ;)

great question, the Gmen had 4 RB's on their roster (Jacobs, Ward, Droughns, Bradshaw (sp?)) ... so I think we might see us do the same thing?

Hard to tell what this means, maybe we are doing this for leverage? Maybe it does mean we might make a trade with Betts or Portis? It's gonna get real interesting. Even with his high salary, his openness to restructure makes me think that any new coach would want at least one year to work with Portis.

I'm not sure it means anything. We had Portis, Betts, Rock, and Mason in camp last year too.

I really like Mason and would love for there to be a spot on the team for him...I'm not really sure where that is though. If (a big IF) we end up dealing or cutting a RB with the new coaching regime, I hope Mason gets a shot.

One thing that continues to pop into my head is that good RBs can be found anywhere. That's not to say that I think Mason is better than any of the other 3, but if he comes significantly cheaper than one of them...there might be a decision to be made.

Okay lets think about this, there are lots of ways mason could get on the team. 1. He could take a place on Special teams (not just as a KR but maybe a blocker too?) Reasoning, we are keeping Mix most likely, and thrash is likely going to be cut, I just have a feeling about that. That one move would free a slot for him. The other thought. If we did for whatever reason trade betts (I don't see portis going), or if Rock Didn't sign, then we have a guy familiar with our practice regimen, and we'd have the luxury of drafting a RB late if we felt we needed it.

Okay lets think about this, there are lots of ways mason could get on the team. 1. He could take a place on Special teams (not just as a KR but maybe a blocker too?) Reasoning, we are keeping Mix most likely, and thrash is likely going to be cut, I just have a feeling about that. That one move would free a slot for him. The other thought. If we did for whatever reason trade betts (I don't see portis going), or if Rock Didn't sign, then we have a guy familiar with our practice regimen, and we'd have the luxury of drafting a RB late if we felt we needed it.

I dont see us getting rid of Thrash. he's cheap, and his level of play is still quality, especially on special teams. He plays big for his age, and is cheap.

If not Thrash, then who else on Special Teams might be at risk of losing their Job? Any ideas?

I wish i knew our special teams roster. I think we have Thrash for two more years, or until he shows decline and the younger guys start showing him up. But he is always down at the one yard line trying to keep the ball out of the endzone in kick offs and punts, and from one WR to another, my hope is that some of that work ethic rubs off on Mix, or already has. Blades used to play special teams. he may be giving that chore up if Rocky isnt ready by the start of the season.

Betts and Lloyd and a sixth to Cincy for CJ.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously though, I do have a sneaky suspicion that Betts is going to be traded this offseason. Given the holes on the O and D lines, CB and WR, Betts just seems like a luxury that the team might feel as though they can do without in order to bolster those other areas of need. Plus if Mason really is as good as he has looked in limited pre-season action, maybe all he truly needs is a chance. Look at guys like Ryan Grant and Willie Parker.

Physically Mason wasn't a fit for our previous power based run game, which shows his talent level by the mere fact we kept him around.

Now our O is likely to be a WCO hybrid it is not inconceivable that he would move up the depth chart, above Rock for sure. Maybe Betts too based on the possibility of getting a low draft pick/trade involving him.

Neither Betts nor Rock are going to usurp CP talent wise so IMO it is time we blooded another young RB. Doesn't mean we have to get rid of Rock altogether (assuming he doesn't get a better offer elsewhere), or even Betts, but we do need to look at getting Mason some game time. The way to do that initially is kick off returns.

Unless Mason is an equivalent route runner/pass catcher as Betts, don't expect Betts to be shopped.

Archived