Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why We Need Spags as HC

Riggodrill44

How long is our defensive staff under contract? Isn't it until next year? Or did they get extensions? If its til next year, we can probably hire him and tell him that after next year he can bring in anybody he wants.

I thought they signed extensions with most of the assts they wanted back. I don't know if that's offical, but it's what was reported.

Why do we need Spags as coach? It's funny how fans who hate Dan Snyder think exactly the same way as the way they criticize Dan Snyder for.... Spags is a "hot commodity" right now and this is definitely "buying high", since he has only been a DC for one season. If it works out, great... However, it's definitely a gamble.

If we do hire Spags, I want to hear a lot of apologizing to Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato on this forum for people who wanted us to go young and didn't want Fassel.

Can he bring his entire defensive line and Antonio Pierce with him?

Otherwise he'll be a disaster here with this personel,and do you really trust Vinny to get him what he needs?

The Redskins are the complete opposite of what the Giants were.Very average in their offensive and defensive lines and with a bunch of midget wide receivers.

I think if you are going to expect him to come in and in one year win the superbowl, then you might consider him a disaster.

however, if you (referring to all redskins fans in general) could let him build his defense, then i think he could have some success.

that being said, he came from philly, and I don't think they have ever really had a great pass rusher, even though they consistently have solid d's.

I think pressure up the middle is a bit more disruptive than around the ends. I'd rather have a DT that can collapse the pocket and not allow a QB to step into his throws. But yeah pass rush period..you see what it can do, yesterday's superbowl makes a good case..yet our Washington Redskins never seem to think it's and area of need or importance...Well with your front four..not from safety/corner/lb blitzes.

I would agree here this os why I think we need a top 3 pick on the Dline. I'd prefer Defensive End, but if its not there I'd consider a DT in the 1st Three Rounds, but you go wtih BPA. I think Oline help is maybe more critical by just a hair over D-line but you take the Best Player you get that helps you.

If Spags does become the coach I think he will adress the D-line first and foremost. He comes from the Eagles school of thought and they built teams from the inside-out. Meaning they draft/sign players closest to the ball first and work their way out. Therefore, they put more emphasis on D-line then say a DB and an OL is more perferred then a WR (at least in the early parts of the draft).

Off the top of my head here are some recent early picks

Broderick Bunkley DT

Mike Patterson DT

Shawn Andrews OG

Winston Justice OT

Max Jean-Gilles OG

Corey Simon DT

he is the front runner now so lets do it. if he is hired i think he brings excitement to the defense

My sense is that we didn't need as much help on defense, so I'm not sure why we'd blow it up and start anew.. but at the end of the day, if we got the kind of play out of our defense that the aints got out of theirs last night, I'd be ok with just about anything. You can ride that kind of defense a long way.

Spagnuolo did a great job against the Pats, but he wouldn't be able to convince Snyder and Vinny of anything. Snyder and Vinny will draft who they want period. This is not a job for a first time head coach. Especially not one that has only been a DC for one year. For Spagnuolo to be successful he would need to be able to surrond himself with coaches he knows and trusts. Snyder gave Blache full reign of the defense to get him to come back, I can't see him turning around and firing him and Blache isn't the type of person to take crap lying down. Wether or not Snyder knows Mariucci is the right coach for him. Mooch is charming and has the type of personality to handle Snyder. Do we really need a Defensive minded head coach? We have an experienced DC in Greg Blache and a 1st time OC in Zorn. We have a great defense its our offense that has struggled the last few years. I think Mooch and Zorn together could come up with a great West Coast type offense and both have developed young QB's that turned into great QB's.

If Spags does become the coach I think he will adress the D-line first and foremost. He comes from the Eagles school of thought and they built teams from the inside-out. Meaning they draft/sign players closest to the ball first and work their way out. Therefore, they put more emphasis on D-line then say a DB and an OL is more perferred then a WR (at least in the early parts of the draft).

Off the top of my head here are some recent early picks

Broderick Bunkley DT

Mike Patterson DT

Shawn Andrews OG

Winston Justice OT

Max Jean-Gilles OG

Corey Simon DT

You actually think Snyder and Vinny are going to let anyone else have input? They aren't going to let a First Time HC with only one year experience as a CoOrdinator have input.

I think pressure up the middle is a bit more disruptive than around the ends. I'd rather have a DT that can collapse the pocket and not allow a QB to step into his throws. But yeah pass rush period..you see what it can do, yesterday's superbowl makes a good case..yet our Washington Redskins never seem to think it's and area of need or importance...Well with your front four..not from safety/corner/lb blitzes.

you're being picky. If we can generate any type of pass rush consistently from our front 4 I'm happy.

One good thing about GW leaving is that maybe some of these average players will follow him and we can get some real talent on the DL to create pressure in the backfield.

I really wouldn't mind if our whole draft went to the D-Line and the O-Line.

Spagnuolo did a great job against the Pats, but he wouldn't be able to convince Snyder and Vinny of anything. Snyder and Vinny will draft who they want period. This is not a job for a first time head coach. Especially not one that has only been a DC for one year. For Spagnuolo to be successful he would need to be able to surrond himself with coaches he knows and trusts. Snyder gave Blache full reign of the defense to get him to come back, I can't see him turning around and firing him and Blache isn't the type of person to take crap lying down. Wether or not Snyder knows Mariucci is the right coach for him. Mooch is charming and has the type of personality to handle Snyder. Do we really need a Defensive minded head coach? We have an experienced DC in Greg Blache and a 1st time OC in Zorn. We have a great defense its our offense that has struggled the last few years. I think Mooch and Zorn together could come up with a great West Coast type offense and both have developed young QB's that turned into great QB's.

But reading the players quotes, they say Spagnulo has a charming personality. That may be just what Snyder's looking for. Then the fact that this can be "his guy". That's what Spurrier was supposed to be, but it backfired. The fact that he's a hot commodity kinda makes it more fan approved and so he wouldn't take the same backlash as hiring somebody like Fassel.

Plus any problems with the coaching staff will be handled by the contract agreement. I remember reading Blache talking about how he was ready to retire, but he couldn't turn down the money Snyder was offering.

I think if you are going to expect him to come in and in one year win the superbowl, then you might consider him a disaster.

however, if you (referring to all redskins fans in general) could let him build his defense, then i think he could have some success.

that being said, he came from philly, and I don't think they have ever really had a great pass rusher, even though they consistently have solid d's.

Jevon Kearse before he got all banged up was a big key when they were making runs to the NFC Championship Game every year. Trent Cole is also pretty underrated but I dunno if Spags and Cole were there at the same time.

Archived