Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it wrong to be ticked over this?

Zguy28

Actually, he didn't pay 25 to the charity. He spent 25 on the ingredients for the chile. That six dollars may help to go pay for the land rental. Electricity. Insurance. And other costs that the charity needs to cover to even hold the event. It's great you were willing to give, but that six dollars means that six real dollars are definately going into the charities pot.

What if there was a sudden hailstorm and they had to shut down a half hour into the event. Your twentyfive dollars would allow the charity to pay for no services or buy nothing for the population they serve.

I can understand you feel tricked, but you most likely weren't. If this is a real charity, that money in the hand is as important as the chile that may or may not get sold.

Good points, Burgold. I know he didn't pay 25 to the charity, but he spent it for the charity. But cash is always helpful.

I guess the lesson here is, don't do anything for charity.;)

I think they should have made it plain you would be expected to pay,or accept a promise to pay later.

'

Getting pissed is wrong though.

I've had a similar experience in youth baseball tournaments,when as a team sponsor,coach and unpaid volunteer for ground crew at the event I was expected to pay a entry fee to work....it was a bit of a shock :laugh:

When you're talking about charities or non-profit organizations things like this are not unusual. I routinely attend SCA events where I will be assisting in running the event for most of the weekend and where I am still required to pay the $8 - $15 fee to get in. So I understand where you're coming from Zguy. It's just part of being around charity/non-profit groups, unfortunately.

Actually, he didn't pay 25 to the charity. He spent 25 on the ingredients for the chile. That six dollars may help to go pay for the land rental. Electricity. Insurance. And other costs that the charity needs to cover to even hold the event. It's great you were willing to give, but that six dollars means that six real dollars are definately going into the charities pot.

What if there was a sudden hailstorm and they had to shut down a half hour into the event. Your twentyfive dollars would allow the charity to pay for no services or buy nothing for the population they serve.

I can understand you feel tricked, but you most likely weren't. If this is a real charity, that money in the hand is as important as the chile that may or may not get sold.

Its hosted by my work in one of our conference rooms, not by the charity. The proceeds go to various one's.:2cents:

You know what's the worst part Zguy28...When you go to retrieve your crock pot later, all the chili will be felted. You won't even be able to have an afternoon snack of chili...Oh by the way, I'm pretty sure we work for the same company!

Nice poker reference in this reply! :D

I've had a similar experience in youth baseball tournaments,when as a team sponsor,coach and unpaid volunteer for ground crew at the event I was expected to pay a entry fee to work....it was a bit of a shock :laugh:

It never ends - one of my favorites is when I bring extra snacks and drinks to a game for those kids whose parents haven't bothered, and I get complaints about the selection available.:laugh:

It never ends - one of my favorites is when I bring extra snacks and drinks to a game for those kids whose parents haven't bothered, and I get complaints about the selection available.:laugh:
Complaints from the kids or the parents?

Complaints from the kids or the parents?

There are a few parents who'll comment that "Jonny doesn't like blueberry muffins", or similar. To which they're met with the polite reply, "well perhaps he can have some of what you brought then."

I've also had parents suggest that we put effort into applying for paltry grants for equipment, shoes etc. This is in affluent Loudoun County and those suggesting it are usually driving $40,000+ SUVs. When they are reminded that the coaches are already contributing 10 - 15 hours a week of their own time on behalf of their kids, and perhaps the parent could take it on, the reply is usually that they're too busy. :doh:

In my experience, 25% of parents are great,50% can be relied on to get their kids to practice on time and not much else, and 25% are *******s who we can't wait to push out of the club.

Anyway, I had already decided not to make a scene or do anything stupid, since I know they are helping a charity, which is good, but I guess I'm just not going to enter it next year. Oh well. No bitter feelings.

Thanks for the responses. :)

Good attitude. You have to admit that once you step back, it's pretty funny. :silly:

Anyway, I had already decided not to make a scene or do anything stupid, since I know they are helping a charity, which is good, but I guess I'm just not going to enter it next year. Oh well. No bitter feelings.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you change your mind, but it is nice that you participated this time. :applause:

I have run some charity campaigns in the past, and I know the difficult line you have to walk between keeping your participants happy and maximizing the money raised for your good cause. It's not easy.

I would have grabbed the crockpot, taken it out to my car, gone to the ATM, come back with $6 and eaten everyone else's chili...as much as I could shovel into my gut. It's not the money here people, it's the principle. His $25 investment probably raised much more than that for the charities. They should be happy with that. He didn't have to give a damn thing.

If you really believed in the Charity I think you could have found the $6.

Where from the floor? Half the point is he didn't have the cash on him. If he had been told/reminded before that even participants had to pay, he could have come prepared.

That said, its not unreasonable for them to ask, but a little odd.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you change your mind, but it is nice that you participated this time. :applause:

I have run some charity campaigns in the past, and I know the difficult line you have to walk between keeping your participants happy and maximizing the money raised for your good cause. It's not easy.

Yeah, I've had time to think about it and probably will do it again next year. I guess it just kind of took me by surprise that's all. Plus, like I said I didn't have cash on me, because I didn't anticipate it, and it was like waiting in line and then having your Credit Card declined in front of everybody.
Sooo....your charitable contribution max is $25? At $31 this Charity isn't worthy?

If you really believed in the Charity I think you could have found the $6.

I don't even know who the charity(s) were. Its done through our Community Relations Committee.

Pretty crappy that as a participant you get booted out of the chili cookoff because you didn't have the cash on hand to pay. The guy at the door should have been a little flexible. Rather than humiliate you, he should have just let you in and suggested you could just pay up later.

Pretty crappy that as a participant you get booted out of the chili cookoff because you didn't have the cash on hand to pay. The guy at the door should have been a little flexible. Rather than humiliate you, he should have just let you in and suggested you could just pay up later.
ITs all good. I was ticked for a little bit, but then I cooled down rather quickly, especially after some replies from ES friends. :)

Thankfully I'm not running for Commander in Chief. :silly:

Well that is the absolute truth. The problem is not that you were charged - the problem is that they were inflexible about how they handled it.

Archived