Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

These are the candidates as we know them. Vote.(merged)

Jethrodsp

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Ron Meeks.

Born on August 27, 1954 in Jacksonville, Fla. Single father of 4 children, Jayson, Clayton, Quenton and Sadie, and one stepson, Christopher.

Playing days

Meeks played professionally in the CFL, with Hamilton (1977-79), Ottawa (1979) and Toronto (1980-81).

Coaching in College

Meeks’ coaching career began in 1984 at his alma mater, Arkansas State, where he coached two seasons, 1984-85. He spent 1986-87 as DB coach at Miami, then, in 1988, as defensive backs coach at New Mexico State. He was the defensive backs coach at Fresno State in 1989-1990 before moving to the NFL.

Coaching in the NFL

Meeks began his NFL coaching career with Dallas in 1991 as a defensive assistant. He was a DB coach with Cincinnati from 1992-96 before moving to Atlanta, where he also served as the DB coach 1997-99. He worked our Redskins DB coach in 2000 before joining the Rams staff in 2001. Meeks has worked on two other Super Bowl staffs (2001, St. Louis and 1998, Atlanta). A total of 3 of his defenses have played in the Superbowl.

In 2001, Meeks helped revitalize the Rams’ defense, which improved dramatically under a new staff and helped the team win the NFC Championship. In just one year he improved the defense from 23rd to 3rd.

The Rams improved from 27th against the pass to 10th. This, following one season after the Meeks' coached Redskins’ secondary was ranked 2nd against the pass.

In his first year, 2002, as DC of the Colts, he helped the team improve from 29th to 8th in overall defense, while jumping from 31st to 7th in scoring defense. That was 3rd best in the AFC, by the way.

Just two years later, 2004, the club had a +19 turnover ratio, tied for 3rd in the league with 36 turnovers, 45 sacks (tied for 3rd in the league)

In 2005, Indianapolis surrendered 247 points, the lowest 16-game seasonal total in club history and ranked second in NFL scoring defense.

In 2006, injuries plagued defensive personnel on the line and in the secondary. The club battled through adversity and re-grouped for a playoff run that led to a Super Bowl XLI championship. The club held three of four playoff opponents under 100 rushing yards per game. Indianapolis set a franchise playoff record by allowing only 126 net yards and 44 rushing yards in a Wild Card win over Kansas City.

The defense held Chicago to no first downs on six of 13 offensive possessions in Super Bowl XLI.

Meeks' defense helped the Colts set a league seasonal record by winning 13 consecutive games by a margin of 7 or more points. The Colts held six opponents to single-digit point totals, and the club became only the 6th post World War II era NFL team to open the season by holding three consecutive opponents in single digits. :yikes:

Ron Meeks has coached a total of 16 seasons in the NFL, and this coming season will be his 22nd in coaching. He is most noted by having tutored Pro Bowl selections Ray Buchanan, Eugene Robinson, Darrell Green, Deion Sanders, Champ Bailey, Mark Carrier, Ashley Ambrose, Aeneas Williams and Bob Sanders.

Coaching Resume

• Arkansas State 1984-85

• University of Miami 1986-87

• New Mexico State 1988

• Fresno State 1989-1990

• Dallas Cowboys 1991

• Cincinnati Bengals 1992-1996

• Atlanta Falcons 1997-1999

• Washington Redskins 2000

• St. Louis Rams 2001

• Indianapolis Colts 2002-present

My decision is clear. Meeks in '08. :cheers:

To be quite honest, I don't care anymore... I think our best shot at being decent next year was dismissed yesterday.

Plus, I'm through following this coaching search. I think it's a mistake that so many of us fans are so emotionally invested in it, since it seems Danny doesn't care what we think anyway. Add to it that there's another week of it... :shot:

But if you had to ask, I think McDaniel or Spags may be good coaches for us. I'm also hoping that they'd give Grimm a chance too.

Archived